• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Varmint+KRG build.

Vargmat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2013
Sweden
So, I recently sold my Remington 700 Composite to fund a new build.
Last week I ordered a Tikka T3 Varmint in .308 Winchester with a 20" barrel and 18x1mm treaded muzzle for a future suppressor keeping it OAF compatible.

My Remington 700 rested in an Accuracy International AICS AX chassie which was also sold. The money was quickly turned around and put into a KRG Whiskey-3 Chassis with a Tikka T3 inlet.
Initial impressions are great. No toolmarks just great fit and finish. I also have to say that the ergonomics of the KRG fits me way better than the AI ever did.

For the time being I will continue to use my Vortex Viper PST 6-2x50 scope, which I feel offers great value for money.
If I stumble upon a lottery win or a big pile of money, a Nightfoce ATACR will probably be the first thing I order. Until then, the Vortex PST will continue to serve.

I also have also kept my ATLAS bipod from my Remington/AI build. No need to replace these.

IMG_7251.JPG

Now it is just a waiting game, getting the paperwork done for the Tikka.
And while that happens I will get a new mount for the Vortex scope and probably another AICS magazine or two.

Oh. I might just paint this rifle when its all bolted together. I just need to find the courage to do so.

Last edited:
Great looking set-up! I vote for a paint job. How long will it take to get your Tikka?

Thanks!

The rifle could probably be here at the end of this week. But the proper paperwork will probably take another 8-10 weeks before I can get the rifle delivered. Its really a toss up, the fastest I´ve had the licens paperwork done in is 6 days, and the longest this far is 3 months. And anywhere between that is the norm.
Im 9 weeks in on the paperwork for a Mossberg 930 JM Pro that I am also waiting on.

Looking good, sure will be a great combo, in what way do you like the ergonomics of the w3 over the aics

Thanks!

The rifle could probably be here at the end of this week. But the proper paperwork will probably take another 8-10 weeks before I can get the rifle delivered. Its really a toss up, the fastest I´ve had the licens paperwork done in is 6 days, and the longest this far is 3 months. And anywhere between that is the norm.
Im 9 weeks in on the paperwork for a Mossberg 930 JM Pro that I am also waiting on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

where did you order the 308 varmint? tkx

Looking good, sure will be a great combo, in what way do you like the ergonomics of the w3 over the aics

I really like the bigger grip and grip angle that the W3 offers. The pistolgrip on the AX is very small, I run size 11 gloves so this is highly subjective.
I also really like the ease and multitude of available adjustments on the W3 stock. LOP is there and adjustable without tools. You can adjust the recoil pad in height and angle, which does require a hex key. To get these things adjustable on a AI chassis you have to get upgrades which are in no way cheap.
The comb riser is pretty much the same, although it is another upgrade to get thumb screws for the AI.

And last but not least, I personally dont really need the added bulk of the AX chassis. I dont know the exact weight difference but the W3 chassis feels so much lighter.

where did you order the 308 varmint? tkx

Mind you that I am in Sweden. So I just ordered it from one of the bigger hunting stores in our country. I have no idea what is available and from where over in the US, where I assume that you live.

Awesome Choice of EVERYTHING! I had a Tikka T3 Scount 20" None Threaded Heavy Barrel .308 in a 2nd Gen KRG W3 Chassis and it loses NOTHING to my SAKO TRG22 in terms of Accuracy. The only reason I sold it was because I didn't need two rifles that pretty much Looks/Feels/Shoot the same. So out of the two I kept the SAKO TRG22 since it was a better rifle and holds value much better.

I got my GF the Tikka T3 Scount in a .223 and she's in Love with it! Probably never gonna sell this one.

You'll Love It Trust Me!

Cheers!

:mad: Sweden!!

Ok, I will keep searching 308 varmint here.

Mind you that I am in Sweden. So I just ordered it from one of the bigger hunting stores in our country. I have no idea what is available and from where over in the US, where I assume that you live.

Awesome Choice of EVERYTHING! I had a Tikka T3 Scount 20" None Threaded Heavy Barrel .308 in a 2nd Gen KRG W3 Chassis and it loses NOTHING to my SAKO TRG22 in terms of Accuracy. The only reason I sold it was because I didn't need two rifles that pretty much Looks/Feels/Shoot the same. So out of the two I kept the SAKO TRG22 since it was a better rifle and holds value much better.

I got my GF the Tikka T3 Scount in a .223 and she's in Love with it! Probably never gonna sell this one.

You'll Love It Trust Me!

Cheers!

Mr. Spuhr himself mounted a Tikka T3 Varmint to a TRG chassis and he has written nothing but good things about it. The T3s are great rifles.
In many ways I guess that what I am bolting together will be much like a TRG. But at a much more resonable price. Hell, have you guys seen what they charge for spareparts and upgrades for the TRG? Its insane!

Update time.
Got a white box delivered today, inside was a brand new Tikka T3 Varmint, so I swiftly inserted it in my KRG WT-3 stock and monted the EGW picatinny rail and Vortex optic.
Hopefully the next box, containing the bolt and suppressor will be here tomorrow.

IMG_7577.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7577.JPG
    IMG_7577.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 63
very nice.
I am thinking of the same thing.
But I am wondering how heavy it is without a scope.

BTW you got any deal for the tikka varmint?

Lovely Rifle! Reminds me of my T3 Scout CTR 20" in the W3 Folder before I got my TRG22. I know you got Adjustable Cheek Piece but that Scope Ring still looks a bit high there. I used the same exact scope and base setup with Low Profile Rings and it cleared just fine. Maybe you can give it shot. You might like it better setting lower.

Cheers!

Update time.
Got a white box delivered today, inside was a brand new Tikka T3 Varmint, so I swiftly inserted it in my KRG WT-3 stock and monted the EGW picatinny rail and Vortex optic.
Hopefully the next box, containing the bolt and suppressor will be here tomorrow.

IMG_7577.JPG

very nice.
I am thinking of the same thing.
But I am wondering how heavy it is without a scope.

BTW you got any deal for the tikka varmint?

I will weigh it today if the bolt and suppressor arrives.
Since I am in Sweden I had no problem locating a Tikka T3 Varmint. As I am led to believe Beretta does not import that model (anymore?) to the US. So I have no clue where you could get one.

Lovely Rifle! Reminds me of my T3 Scout CTR 20" in the W3 Folder before I got my TRG22. I know you got Adjustable Cheek Piece but that Scope Ring still looks a bit high there. I used the same exact scope and base setup with Low Profile Rings and it cleared just fine. Maybe you can give it shot. You might like it better setting lower.

Cheers!

The scoperings are indeed a bit higher than they need to be, but not crazy high. I think that the little bit of extra room might help to avoid seeing the suppressor in the scope at low magnification settings. And I have also heard that it could help, so that I dont see as much mirage from the suppressor but I am not sure on that point.

I will weigh it today if the bolt and suppressor arrives.
Since I am in Sweden I had no problem locating a Tikka T3 Varmint. As I am led to believe Beretta does not import that model (anymore?) to the US. So I have no clue where you could get one.

Thanks!

It is a pity they do not import varmint any more. Maybe they do not want to compete with the tactical model, which is more expensive.

Thanks!

It is a pity they do not import varmint any more. Maybe they do not want to compete with the tactical model, which is more expensive.

Ah, so you are able to get the Tikka T3 Tac?
In many ways I guess that they are pretty much the same rifle, except the included picatinny rail and different finish on the metal parts.

Its amazing. You read the specs and measurements and figure yeah, it will be small! Then the day comes when things get delivered. And well, damn its really small.
Naturally, I am writing about my new suppressor.
It arrived today, together with the bolt for my T3. It is an ASE UTRA SL5 (S Series SL5 sound suppressor | Ase Utra) coated in black ceracote.

bild.JPG

Here it is, standing next to a Winchester 1oz slug in 12 gauge, for size reference.

Last edited:
Ah, so you are able to get the Tikka T3 Tac?
In many ways I guess that they are pretty much the same rifle, except the included picatinny rail and different finish on the metal parts.

right, but tac is more expensive.

if I buy a tac and throw it on top of a KRG Xray chassis, it will be $2000. I think it is a little too much.

Those crazy Canadians up north have the new 2014 model Tikka T3 CTR Synthetic Rifle | Grouse River | Canada’s Premier Outdoor Store in stock. It's $1,039.99 Dollars Canadian which converts to $947.17 US.

This ctr still has plastic stock.
Seems the only improvement compared to a varmint is the magazine, which is the same as trg22.

But if you want to change stock or chassis, the mag improvement is worth nothing.

tikka varmint is still the best choice but now it is hard to get.

right, but tac is more expensive.

if I buy a tac and throw it on top of a KRG Xray chassis, it will be $2000. I think it is a little too much.

I for one can tell you that, IF I had the opportunity to buy those things for that kind of money. I would be happy.
Hell, a new Tikka T3 Tac is 2800$ alone, and a KRG chassis dont come cheap around here.

The short comings of the CTR or any other model wasn't my point as I'm not selling anything. If you took a moment to look through the Grouse River website you would notice that they also have the Varmint and Sporter models in a selection of calibers.

My point was that they are available else where but not in the USA... So you've have to ask yourself if Canada can have them why not the the good ole USA?

This ctr still has plastic stock.
Seems the only improvement compared to a varmint is the magazine, which is the same as trg22.

But if you want to change stock or chassis, the mag improvement is worth nothing.

tikka varmint is still the best choice but now it is hard to get.

Last edited:
The short comings of the CTR or any other model wasn't my point as I'm not selling anything. If you took a moment to look through the Grouse River website you would notice that they also have the Varmint and Sporter models in a selection of calibers.

My point was that they are available else where but not in the USA... So you've have to ask yourself if Canada can have them why not the the good ole USA?

That question might be better to ask Beretta USA, dont you think?

I have a very similar setup, but swapped my stock barrel for a 243AI. Tikka T3 is a great action (if you are okay with "short action" in a "long action"), I've heard many complain of he plastic bottom metal and the terrible stock, the Whiskey addresses both. Some complain of the plastic mags but I have yet to have a problem with one.

Nice gun, let us know how it shoots.

I have a very similar setup, but swapped my stock barrel for a 243AI. Tikka T3 is a great action (if you are okay with "short action" in a "long action"), I've heard many complain of he plastic bottom metal and the terrible stock, the Whiskey addresses both. Some complain of the plastic mags but I have yet to have a problem with one.

Nice gun, let us know how it shoots.

Its my first Tikka, it replaces a Remington 700 SA which I had in an AIAX chassis. Initial impressions are good if not great. Im looking forward to get it to the range and sight it in and start getting used to it.
The original stock, bottom metal (plastic) and magazine felt really cheesy and fragile. I dont know if I have set the bar high coming from an AI chassis, but in any case the original parts just felt cheap.
Oh, and not to mention the plastic end cap (I dont know the english term for it) on the bolt. What crap that was. I replaced it right away with an alloy one.

Range report will follow asap. You guys can count on it.

I changed my bolt handle too, and bolt shroud.
I will make no attempts to minimize the crappiness that are the factory stock or bottom metal, but the whiskey chassis fixes them up nicely.

Also, I had an early gen1 chassis, I emailed and asked how to get a newer front end, they sent me a "blemished" gen 3 front end, no charge. I am exceedingly pleased with their service and product! I can't find a blemish on it and now have may more mounting options.

I changed my bolt handle too, and bolt shroud.
I will make no attempts to minimize the crappiness that are the factory stock or bottom metal, but the whiskey chassis fixes them up nicely.

Also, I had an early gen1 chassis, I emailed and asked how to get a newer front end, they sent me a "blemished" gen 3 front end, no charge. I am exceedingly pleased with their service and product! I can't find a blemish on it and now have may more mounting options.

Yeah, I will look into getting a new bolt handle too. I would like something that is a bit longer and has a bit bigger knob. Something more like the TRG or AI bolts.
Bolt shroud was the word I was looking for.

That is nice to hear. KRG seems to have a great thing going.
Over here on this side of the pond, KRG products are highly exotic. I only know of 3 WT-3 chassis in total in Sweden. I am sure there are a few more but not that many more. I am one of the few happy owners here.

Went to the range today to get the scope dialed in and to start getting the feel of the new rifle. The local range has a maximum length of 80 meters, so its not much, but I recon that the rifle shows some potential.

Target 1 is testshots.
Target 2 is the first 5 shot group with the new rifle.
Target 3 is 4 shots with some old Lapua FMJs that I was given to try out.
Target 4 is the first 5 shot group with the suppressor mounted.

IMG_7592.JPG

Went to the range today to get the scope dialed in and to start getting the feel of the new rifle. The local range has a maximum length of 80 meters, so its not much, but I recon that the rifle shows some potential.

Target 1 is testshots.
Target 2 is the first 5 shot group with the new rifle.
Target 3 is 4 shots with some old Lapua FMJs that I was given to try out.
Target 4 is the first 5 shot group with the suppressor mounted.

IMG_7592.JPG

What ammo were you using when you shot the 5 with the suppressor?

Dirt cheap Sellier & Bellot FMJs.
Its about the cheapest range ammo available here, and it has a bad reputation for being inaccurate. So I was not too happy to find out that it was the only ammo available at the moment. But my Tikka seem to think they work just fine.

Its amazing. You read the specs and measurements and figure yeah, it will be small! Then the day comes when things get delivered. And well, damn its really small.
Naturally, I am writing about my new suppressor.
It arrived today, together with the bolt for my T3. It is an ASE UTRA SL5 (S Series SL5 sound suppressor | Ase Utra) coated in black ceracote.

View attachment 35570

Here it is, standing next to a Winchester 1oz slug in 12 gauge, for size reference.

How come you choose a steel suppressor, that is more suitable for semi or full auto, rather than an aluminum, like Sonic, S&L or Hausken?

How come you choose a steel suppressor, that is more suitable for semi or full auto, rather than an aluminum, like Sonic, S&L or Hausken?

I chose a stainless steel suppressor because I plan to use it for alot of shooting at the range. Im sure that many aluminium alloy suppressors are up for the task too, but ASE UTRA is supposed to be ultra durable. And I got a very good deal on it to boot, which did not make the choice more difficult.

Unpacking it I was a bit worried that it would not do as much difference as the bigger sized suppressors available. But after the first 5 shots with it I am more than happy. Why have a bigger less efficient suppressor when a small, durable and well designed one does the same job? In short, I think the SL5 is great.

Last edited:
Got myself a new bolthandle for my Tikka T3 Varmint.

Thanks to "cannoncrossfire" it now looks like this;

IMG_7716.JPG

Beretta blows.

hot looking rifle. I would build one if I could the bolt on the other side.

Because of Mr VARGMAT i am now also a owner of a KRG chassis for my Rem 700 in 6xc. :eek:

Ase-Utra SL5 is one of the best suppressors available and the only other suppressor that i am aware of that is i the same category is Jaki RST Forest, it is a little more effective and cheaper. There might be other modells at the US market that are as good or better but in our market here in the Nordic region these are the ones. I have also used a Hausken for a long time and shot several thousand shots and it is still going strong.

Because of Mr VARGMAT i am now also a owner of a KRG chassis for my Rem 700 in 6xc. :eek:

Ase-Utra SL5 is one of the best suppressors available and the only other suppressor that i am aware of that is i the same category is Jaki RST Forest, it is a little more effective and cheaper. There might be other modells at the US market that are as good or better but in our market here in the Nordic region these are the ones. I have also used a Hausken for a long time and shot several thousand shots and it is still going strong.

As they say here... Welcome to the hide.

Get some photos up of the new stick in the "precision rifle" tread and "post your KRG WT-3" tread.

Can you provide some documentation about the db on the jaki or is it just what you presume ;)

I prefer my Sonic 45 with 7 modules :D
2e6etehu.jpg

Sendt fra min GT-I9300 med Tapatalk

Information from Jaki, can be found on their website also.
Extremely compact yet powerful tip-mounted suppressor.
Spigot thread adds 99 mm to the length of the barrel.
Max. sound suppression with Cal.308 guns: 26-27 dB.
Max. sound suppression with Cal.222 guns: 31-32 dB.

Length: 129 mm
Dia: 43,5 mm
Wieght appr. 450 g
Color: Matte steel
Recommended caliber: 222-308

Last edited:
So, I recently sold my Remington 700 Composite to fund a new build.
Last week I ordered a Tikka T3 Varmint in .308 Winchester with a 20" barrel and 18x1mm treaded muzzle for a future suppressor keeping it OAF compatible.

My Remington 700 rested in an Accuracy International AICS AX chassie which was also sold. The money was quickly turned around and put into a KRG Whiskey-3 Chassis with a Tikka T3 inlet.
Initial impressions are great. No toolmarks just great fit and finish. I also have to say that the ergonomics of the KRG fits me way better than the AI ever did.

For the time being I will continue to use my Vortex Viper PST 6-2x50 scope, which I feel offers great value for money.
If I stumble upon a lottery win or a big pile of money, a Nightfoce ATACR will probably be the first thing I order. Until then, the Vortex PST will continue to serve.

I also have also kept my ATLAS bipod from my Remington/AI build. No need to replace these.

IMG_7251.JPG

Now it is just a waiting game, getting the paperwork done for the Tikka.
And while that happens I will get a new mount for the Vortex scope and probably another AICS magazine or two.

Oh. I might just paint this rifle when its all bolted together. I just need to find the courage to do so.

Did you buy the stock in Sweden or other parts of the European Union?

Sendt fra min GT-I9300 med Tapatalk