• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka t3 vs savage 12fv

308sniper147

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2013
Huntsville, AL
I am in the process of buying a rifle for my significant other as she fell in love with my old rem700 sps tactical in .223. So I'm in a toss up between these two rifles. Both would be bought in .223 rem caliber. I have narrowed it down between the pros and cons.
Also, both are within $20 in price.
Tikka pros
• Accuracy guarantee
• Better stock IMO
• glassy smooth action as everyone reports
• 1 in 8" twist for heavier bullets
• adjustable nice trigger.
tikka cons
• plastic bottom "metal" which worries me
• not as much aftermarket support as rem or savage

Savage pros
• also 1 in 8" twist for heavier bullets
• can change the barrel out yourself
• adjustable trigger
• most say quality control on out of the box rifle is good
• good aftermarket support
Savage cons
• no accuracy guarantee, although many say they are very accurate
• not as good of a stock
• no magazine system even if the tikka's is plastic
• action isn't as smooth
• some have ejection problems
• not as "purrty" as the tikka which will matter a lot to my significant other(women what are you gonna do?)

Also there is a company out of Germany that make actual METAL bottom metal for the tikka that accepts the plastic 10 round AICS mags. Also , both manners and mcmillan make stocks for the tikka which she would prefer a traditional stock over a chassis like my rock solid.

I would love to see pics of your tikka/savage rifles and the grouping they shoot along with the specs. Please just need to know which one you guys think would be the better route?

Regards,
Andrew

I have owned a savage and won't again. While they are okay on target, heavy, ugly, and not even close to being as smooth as tikka. If I was getting a .223 it would be tikka. I have a tikka t3 stainless in 7 mm mag on order. Should be in this week. I'm replacing stock, skim bedding. Just can't wait. You probably will never change barrel most people don't? Let her run the bolt on a tikka, she will make the decision. ;)

I vote for Tikka , I own one great rifle out of the box accuracy is 1/2 moa I have two Mags never had a problem with either one of them. They are stronger than they look or feel. Just a great rifle.

I have owned a savage and won't again. While they are okay on target, heavy, ugly, and not even close to being as smooth as tikka. If I was getting a .223 it would be tikka. I have a tikka t3 stainless in 7 mm mag on order. Should be in this week. I'm replacing stock, skim bedding. Just can't wait. You probably will never change barrel most people don't? Let her run the bolt on a tikka, she will make the decision. ;)

What are you replacing the stock with?
Are you getting the aftermarket bottom metal or sticking with the stock plastic one?

Another vote for the Tikka. I've had my T3 Scout for almost 3 years and it has been amazing. Their is more of an aftermarket for the Tikka than many people realize. I've upgraded mine over the last year or so... and have had very little trouble finding parts. You mentioned the Manners and McMillan stocks (both are great... I went with Manners)... there are also several others - KRG's Whiskey 3, XLR, and a few others I can't think of right now. As for bottom metal... go with the CDI Precision piece... it is a great improvement over the stock plastic piece and utilizes the ever popular AICS mags. They are out of FL and are amazing people to deal with. Most all of the stock manufacturers can inlet for it as well. In regards to other upgrades check out Tikka Performance Center online... they have a great selection of parts and a good forum pertaining more specifically to Tikkas. If you have any other questions send me a message and I'll help you all I can.

Between the two, tikka without a doubt. Like you said, plastic bottom metal, but at least it has one. This is also my biggest complaint with the tikka, and one of my only complaints. I have a lot of complaints about savages.

As far as the advantage of changing the barrel yourself, do you think you will still own the rifle in 10k rounds when the 223 barrel is shot out? The other thing to think about is would you invest the $700 into a barrel and install, or would you just buy a new rifle at that point for the same cost and sell the action? For most people the ease of changing a barrel is no advantage. You still have to set the headspace with the nut so it's not as simple as a straight up switch barrel setup.

Tikka t3 vs savage 12fv

I'm a Savage guy and had a 12FV shot consistent half MOA or better groups with 75gr HPBT and Varget.

The Savage 12FV comes with a 1:9 barrel which is fine for 75/77 HPBT and tends to work okay with Berger 75VLD and hit or miss with 75 Amax.

However:

The Tikka is a much, much, MUCH nicer action and if it really is a 1:8 barrel (they recently switched 223s to 1:10) it will be MUCH more versatile.

Tikka feels and looks better than Savage, may or may not shoot better, 1:8 is better than 1:9 IMO. For a $20 premium the choice is easy UNLESS you plan to change calibers down the road, in which case the Savage becomes a stronger option.

Bell Carlson stock. For the money great stocks. I'm keeping factory bottom metal. For hunting no reason to get crazy. But your doing a short action there are quite a few options for the tikka. Do you really need 10 rounds?.. Factory clip is 5 for .223? The barrels for tikka is made by sako and shoot lights out! You'd be crazy to replace with a after market. Most I've seen shoot that great out the box, or the nut behind the trigger is loose? ;) shoot the barrel out and then replace it? ****** FYI******* get rid of the tikka rings that come with it?.. Get a good picitinny rail and TPS rings. You'll be good for life to the gun. Unless your a weekend operator who needs 150$ rings and titanium bases.? If you are, tell Chuck Norris I said I want my knife back. ;) )

I'm a Savage guy and had a 12FV shot consistent half MOA or better groups with 75gr HPBT and Varget.

The Savage 12FV comes with a 1:9 barrel which is fine for 75/77 HPBT and tends to work okay with Berger 75VLD and hit or miss with 75 Amax.

However:

The Tikka is a much, much, MUCH nicer action and if it really is a 1:8 barrel (they recently switched 223s to 1:10) it will be MUCH more versatile.

Tikka feels and looks better than Savage, may or may not shoot better, 1:8 is better than 1:9 IMO. For a $20 premium the choice is easy UNLESS you plan to change calibers down the road, in which case the Savage becomes a stronger option.

Bids gun shop has the tikka t3 with blued barrel for $531 shipped. I have had great exp with buds. Does this sound right? I thought the tikka would cost more than that lol...

Last edited:
Sounds about right for a T3 Lite, which has a sporter barrel IIRC.

I do suspect Bud's rifles are the newer 1:10s, though - might have to find a new old stock rifle somewhere to get the 1:8 twist.

You aren't really comparing apples to apples since the 12fv is a heavy barrel varmint rifle and the comparably priced T3 is a light barreled sportster. The comparable T3 is the varmint model which is a few hundred more. If you just want a rifle that shoots and you don't care to ever change barrels or stocks, I would go with the T3 since the fit and finish is nicer. If you want a gun that you are going to play with, I would go with the Savage. It is nice be able to pickup new barrels and put it on yourself without having to pay a gunsmith. Both will shoot great and will PROBABLY shoot better than your S/O.