• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3TAC A1 General Questions

Fire4EffectCA

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2019
I purchased this rifle two years ago and have never had time to take to the range. I am waiting on parts for another rifle I have been developing loads for and that rifle needs parts for me to continue my work. I have time now to get the Tikka T3TAC A1 to the range and have two questions:

What trigger weight are the rest of you using? I don’t want too go too light. I will not be using the brake so I expect greater recoil.

What areas of the rifle should be lubricated and which areas should not? This is the first centerfire bolt action rifle I have owned.

Any other first time suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

I keep my trigger weight very light, basically with the adjustment screw hitting the set screw ... but I shoot everything suppressed so recoil is very light. Either way, recoil shouldn't be the deciding factor on a bolt rifle since you cycle the action manually. Just adjust to "feel" ... whatever you like.

Lubricate the back side of the bolt lugs, and a light coat on the bolt frame. Once a year maybe disassemble the bolt and lightly lube the firing pin spring. I rarely lubricate my T3x TAC A1 and it shoots dead-nuts-lights-out every time.

BTW ... get the bag rider from Mountain Tactical ... it's an awesome accessory for bench shooting.

I left my trigger as it came out of the box. It is light enough and has really good feel. I am using the brake though - it's loud but very effective. My .308 TAC is more accurate and feels better to shoot than my .223 CTR.

I just lube the back of the lugs on the bolt. That's it.

Reactions: Fire4EffectCA
I keep my trigger weight very light, basically with the adjustment screw hitting the set screw ... but I shoot everything suppressed so recoil is very light. Either way, recoil shouldn't be the deciding factor on a bolt rifle since you cycle the action manually. Just adjust to "feel" ... whatever you like.

Lubricate the back side of the bolt lugs, and a light coat on the bolt frame. Once a year maybe disassemble the bolt and lightly lube the firing pin spring. I rarely lubricate my T3x TAC A1 and it shoots dead-nuts-lights-out every time.

BTW ... get the bag rider from Mountain Tactical ... it's an awesome accessory for bench shooting.

Thanks so much for the tips.

I did purchase a Mountain Tactical Bag Rider a while back after a recommendation from a member here on the hide, but I could not figure out how to remove the pin after removing the mounting screws for the Picatinny railtoday. I see there are others with the same question on the Mountain Tactical Bag Rider page, but Mountain Tactical has not responded to the questions.

I did manage to get the Picatinny railoff by using a nylon punch and a small hammer, but the pin remained lodged in the buttstock when the rail came off. Next I masked the area around the pin with tape and used a vise grip to pull and twist the pin out. It appeared to be secured with a white adhesive. After clearing the hole the pin would insert and pull out without difficulty. I don’t understand why they would use adhesive in this application.

Next I tried to install the bag rider. When I placed the bag rider over the screw holes and started to turn the supplied screws by hand they went in only a partial turn then would not turn further. I very lightly tried both screws independently with the same result. When I examined the fit of the bag rider and buttstock from the side I noticed the bag rider was climbing up on the buttstock mounting surface and slightly tilting at the front. You can see where the bag rider was contacting the buttstock mounting surface. Obviously the bag rider mounting surface needs to be milled here so the mounting holes can be aligned without tilting the bag rider. Hopefully Mountain Tactical will provide me with a solution tomorrow.

Resize-0606.jpg

I left my trigger as it came out of the box. It is light enough and has really good feel. I am using the brake though - it's loud but very effective. My .308 TAC is more accurate and feels better to shoot than my .223 CTR.

I just lube the back of the lugs on the bolt. That's it.

Thanks so much for the tips. We have to shoot in narrow stalls and the noise with a brake would be too much. When I can shoot in open spaces I will install the brake.

Resize-0371.jpg