• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tikka T3x 308 to 6.5 x 47 Lapua

Brian o 23

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2018
Hello, I would like ti rebarrel my Tikka T3x 308 into a 6.5 x 47 Lapua. Can anyone tell me if this will be a problem or changes that would need to be done to rebarrel.
Also I've been looking at PVA Barrels and they have 3 choices for the 6.5 x 47 lapua?
Any build that are already done with they Tikka would be great to see.
Thanks
Brian

Nothing else should be required other than a barrel change. Both the 6.5x57 and 308 share the same bolt face. With regards to barrels, pick the freebore to suit your intend projectiles. What are you planning to use this rifle for?

I rebarreled my tikka 308 to 6 dasher I used a m24 contour because the diameter of the tikka action is smaller so if you went with a diff profile the diameter of the barrel would be bigger than the action , it would still work just look funny

No issues with switching calibers using your action. Find a well respected smith and send it in. PVA is solid, but check their lead times as I'm sure they're still busy meeting order with the J.H. rifle.

Here is a pic of mine.
T3X, factory trigger, Proof Stainless, Manners T4A.

Attachments

• tikka.jpeg
    tikka.jpeg
    778.5 KB · Views: 122
The build will be for local matches 50 to 600 yards and hunting deer and hogs.

Thanks, I would like to shoot 123 grain but not sure of manufacturer.

Contact LRI, they can do the work for you quickly and with very good quality. They will also be able to advise you on what freebore is best.
A tikka barrel removal and use of a prefit barrel is only something that you should attempt if you are very familiar with it. Many have done it, but it's a difficult task

Are all Tikkas small firing pin hole? That would be my only concern with the conversion. As to PVA's three reamers, I would do some research. Figure out what bullet you want to shoot and determine which freebore he has that will fit that bullet. There are some reamers out there with really long freebore. But other than those two questions a 47L sounds like a perfect Tikka cartridge.
No I had to send my bolt off to get bushed

Are all Tikkas small firing pin hole? That would be my only concern with the conversion. As to PVA's three reamers, I would do some research. Figure out what bullet you want to shoot and determine which freebore he has that will fit that bullet. There are some reamers out there with really long freebore. But other than those two questions a 47L sounds like a perfect Tikka cartridge.

I run small rifle primers in all 3 Tikkas I have with zero problems. 6.5 Creed, 223, and 22BR. I use CCI450 primers.

Thanks, I would like to shoot 123 grain but not sure of manufacturer.

I have a PVA barrel and shoot Lapua 123s. If you put in the notes of the order you want the Lopina reamer he will chamber it using that reamer which isn’t listed on the webpage. Mine is a hammer.

I have a PVA barrel and shoot Lapua 123s. If you put in the notes of the order you want the Lopina reamer he will chamber it using that reamer which isn’t listed on the webpage. Mine is a hammer.
Can you give me more specifics on your barrel, contour, length, threaded so I can call PVA and explain better.
I don't understand a hammer?
Thanks for all your help.
I

It’s 26” Heavy Palma with muzzle threads but all of that is up to you. They suggested the Lopina reamer they keep on hand even though it’s not listed on their website. It’s a .145 freebore which works well with the 123’s.

Saying it’s a hammer is just another work for extremely accurate lol.

Cool, I like to use the rifle for hunting as well I think the Heavy Palma might be a little to heavy I thought of using the CTR Contour any thoughts?

I have a 26' Heavy Palma from PVA and it measures approx .9050 at the end, I also have CTR and it measures .8760's at 20 inches. Maybe this is of help.

Yeah the CTR contour would be better for hunting.

This is a Tikka .308 WIN (20 inch barrel) with nothing done to the rifle only mounted a brake and hand loading 168gr SMK on Hornady brass. Z-5 Swaro hunting scope and I don't consider myself a good shooter. Lucky day! 5 shots.

Attachments

• IMG_0632 (002).JPG
    IMG_0632 (002).JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 68
The build will be for local matches 50 to 600 yards and hunting deer and hogs.

Your looking at minimal ballistic advantage at those distances between the 308 and 6.5. Recoil would be the biggest difference. The 175ish bullets on game are far better than than the 140ish for heart lung shots. Shorter barrel life, no factory ammo. I would really research what your specifically looking to gain by the switch. I personal don't see much if any. Not hating, I have a 6.5, just don't see it for your application. My thoughts, hope this helps.

Your looking at minimal ballistic advantage at those distances between the 308 and 6.5. Recoil would be the biggest difference. The 175ish bullets on game are far better than than the 140ish for heart lung shots. Shorter barrel life, no factory ammo. I would really research what your specifically looking to gain by the switch. I personal don't see much if any. Not hating, I have a 6.5, just don't see it for your application. My thoughts, hope this helps.
Thanks, I'm wondering what would the barrel like be on a 6.5 x 47 Lapua

Minimal ballistic advantage? Huh? What 308 pushes a mid .5xx BC bullet at 2850? 308 is segregated into a different division because of its ballistic insuperiority and resulting scores show the difference.

Or do you mean terminal performance? That I could understand.

At the distances he is shooting (max 600 yards), save recoil, minimal ballistic advantage. Plug in your favorite 6.5 load in your ballistic calculator. Then compare to a 175 SMK at 2720 or a 155 SMK at 2850. Both easy speeds to hit on reloads. For max shooting distance of 600 yards as the op posted you will see minimal gains. So small in fact few could ever shoot the difference. Again, save recoil.
Now if we are talking farther distance, I agree completely. The 6.5 will flat out run away from the 308. Or if we were talking tiny group competitions. There again the 6.5 would run away with it. If the shooter can do it.

This is not a 308 is the king, 6.5 is for lessers rant. It’s the DATA. I have both, shoot both, enjoy both. Just pointing out information anyone with a ballistic calculator or experience with a rifle has learned. Hope this helps.

At the distances he is shooting (max 600 yards), save recoil, minimal ballistic advantage. Plug in your favorite 6.5 load in your ballistic calculator. Then compare to a 175 SMK at 2720 or a 155 SMK at 2850. Both easy speeds to hit on reloads. For max shooting distance of 600 yards as the op posted you will see minimal gains. So small in fact few could ever shoot the difference. Again, save recoil.
Now if we are talking farther distance, I agree completely. The 6.5 will flat out run away from the 308. Or if we were talking tiny group competitions. There again the 6.5 would run away with it. If the shooter can do it.

This is not a 308 is the king, 6.5 is for lessers rant. It’s the DATA. I have both, shoot both, enjoy both. Just pointing out information anyone with a ballistic calculator or experience with a rifle has learned. Hope this helps.
Thanks