• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3x A1 vs PVA John Hancock for new long range shooter

marketermac

Private
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2018
So I've read a whole bunch here and I think I've narrowed it down to these two rifles. I don't have much long range experience (lots of appleseeds and my home setup maxes at 300 yards), never shot further than 400).

I plan on getting a 6.5, it'll be my first rifle in this caliber (and my first bolt gun!). I reload already, planning on getting dies for this as well. My budget for the rifle is $2k, and I have another $2k for glass (I was planning on an athlon cronus btr). I'd like to get into PRS with whatever I end up with.

I like that I can grab a Tikka at a bunch of local dealers. I like that the PVA is made in my home state (and is entirely US sourced). So, do I go out and grab a Tikka so I can get into this right away, or do I get myself on the list of the John Hancock and wait a few months to get started? What would you do in my situation?

I'd say since your not technically hooked yet and wouldn't suffer from withdrawal symptoms, for only give or take 500 bucks in difference, if just get in line for the Hancock. Now, in saying that, the Tikka rifles are no slouch and will shoot, but it's still not the same as having a Custom screwed together. But fair warning, be prepared to wait a while for the Hancock, maybe even more than that couple of months.. Both should be fantastic rifles... Nobody can really judge whether or not your willing to wait, that's on you man.

I know what I did :)

I can't offer any real advice other than I decided I would rather buy once / cry once (or in this case wait once) then to spend the money and wish I went ARC / PVA.

I say that with no disrespect to Tikka, they make terrific rifles... It just seems to me that spending and waiting a bit more gets you into potentially a nearly "custom" level rifle build

Also, buy a the cheapest tikka you can find with the bolt face you want, buy a Bravo stock and send the barreled action to Chad at LRI and have him put whatever barrel you want on it. There a lot of very cool ways to get you an awesome rifle.

The flat bottomed forend on the Bravo will work better off barricades than the AR style forend on the Tikka. If you never get around to shooting matches you probably wouldn't ever notice the difference.

Reactions: Changed
Between only those two options I'd probably go with the John Hancock since you don't know what you're missing out on yet. But what MElank said is also a great option too.

Waiting on a hancock. Also throwing a tikka with a 6.5cm bartlein into a krg xray that'll be the backup/rebarrel/loaner. I went both ways and it'll be a good comparison since this is such a common (daily) question

Get the PVA, probably a better shooting rifle with a lot better resale value if you want to move on later.

Here is something else to consider the deposit for a JHR is only $250. If I remember right from other threads Josh is making them in batches and if you order today I think that would put you in batch 3 probably July or later till completed but you should confirm with him. But for me? I would put a deposit on one buy the scope you want and something like a tikka ctr which do go on sale at sub $1000 sometimes to learn your scope, bolt action and 6.5 reloading with then sell when the JHR is finished and switch the scope over that you are now use to using. I Currently own several Tikka's and having shot a JHR demo rifle I am happy that I jumped on this when I did. I think they both function/run close enough that you would not be disadvantaged like a Remington (90* bolt throw) could cause if you learned that first then switched to the JHR

I bet if you ordered the JH rifle today you won’t see it in hand in 2018.

New rifle shooter? Start shooting asap.

Tikka CTR 6.5 creed with 24” barrel from Whittaker’s Is $820 free shipping.

Buy the best scope you can get for your $2K. Skip the Cronus and buy the new XRS 2 for a few hundred more over your budget since you are saving over $1K on the rifle.

Buy quality rings and you are gtg.

Down the road explore chassis or stock options for the Tikka. If the rifle leaves you wanting in 6 months explore other options.

In my mind, to get shooting this is the most prudent way to go.

BTW, the Tikka single stage trigger in the CTR is as good as my Calvin Elite I have in a 700.