• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka t3x barrel thread cost? $225

opherman47

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2021
Utah
One of the local gunsmiths wants to charge me $225 to thread and put a muzzle brake on...

Is this a reasonable price?

What questions should I be asking if I might want to put a suppressor on in the future?

Thx!!

I charge $150 to thread a barrel and my business is in Ca! If I need to contour or time a brake then it's $200-225. If you have a self timing brake then that's a bit expensive. The most common thread length for muzzle threads is .600" . Some brakes have shorter or longer tenon's but just make sure he cuts everything in perfiect alignment with the bore and make the tenon length .6 so you wont have any issues with putting a can on in the future.

One of the local gunsmiths wants to charge me $225 to thread and put a muzzle brake on...

Is this a reasonable price?

What questions should I be asking if I might want to put a suppressor on in the future?

Thx!!
what caliber, and what pitch is he going to thread it? The thin barrel on the lite has limitations for threading, so you probably want to make sure it can be threaded for 5/8x24 or 1/2x28 depending on what caliber the barrel is.

If he is threading it in a bizarre pitch, in order to make it work with a pencil barrel, I would not do it. you'll have trouble mating it to a suppressor later.

Reactions: opherman47
what caliber, and what pitch is he going to thread it? The thin barrel on the lite has limitations for threading, so you probably want to make sure it can be threaded for 5/8x24 or 1/2x28 depending on what caliber the barrel is.

If he is threading it in a bizarre pitch, in order to make it work with a pencil barrel, I would not do it. you'll have trouble mating it to a suppressor later.
I just talked to the guys at Thunderbeast... They are going to do it all... And my other rifles as well.

So grateful for these forums