• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3x Build

OleGrim

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2020
Putting together a new light-ish rifle for hunting. Handled the Christensen Mesa, Ridgeline and Tikka T3x Lite, and I'm partial to the handling/action of the Tikka. I like the Tikka T3x Lite Veil Alpine. Going back and forth between 6.5 Creedmoor and PRC. Creedmoor has the edge for ammo availability and barrel life, but I favor the authority of the PRC. Will probably end up with the Creed.

Narrowed the scope down to the NX8 4-32x50 Mil-XT for weight reduction. Considered ATACR (cons=cost/weight) and Razor HD Gen II (con=weight). Still looking for solid scope rings. Considering the Spuhr SCT-3001 mount.

Ordered a dedicated TBAC 6.5 Ultra 7CB Gen2. Already own Ultra-7 Gen1 and love it.

Anything I'm missing or are there any improvements/alternatives I should consider? Already ordered the TBAC, but everything else is open for suggestions.

Reactions: 2c1fr
there's a fair amount of 6.5 prc eldx out there from time to time, which is supposed to be a pretty good hunting round. but yeah if you want a little more variety, then go creed. i have both and would go prc if i had to pick one, just a little more oomph although i have a 300wsm if i really need some oomph.

i have the nx8 2.5-20 on two of my hunting rifles. prefer scopes go a little lower than 4x for any real close situations. i have the leupold backcounty mount/rings on both my tikkas, no issues. get the mountain tactical (may be another one also) reduced weight trigger spring. does the veil have a threaded barrel, that's a nice option and not available for us lefty's. on both my tikka's i have replaced the stock with a mesa precision altitude (on sale now), and replaced the barrel with a proof carbon prefit (thru brownells with some good % discounts now). accurate and huntable in bone-stock form though.

i know i'm in the minority but i have a tbac7 in 6.5 and just don't like the recoil pattern vs the area419 hellfire brakes i've been using. and the sound reduction isn't enough for me to not wear earpro. i regret spending the dough on it.

there's a fair amount of 6.5 prc eldx out there from time to time, which is supposed to be a pretty good hunting round. but yeah if you want a little more variety, then go creed. i have both and would go prc if i had to pick one, just a little more oomph although i have a 300wsm if i really need some oomph.

i have the nx8 2.5-20 on two of my hunting rifles. prefer scopes go a little lower than 4x for any real close situations. i have the leupold backcounty mount/rings on both my tikkas, no issues. get the mountain tactical (may be another one also) reduced weight trigger spring. does the veil have a threaded barrel, that's a nice option and not available for us lefty's. on both my tikka's i have replaced the stock with a mesa precision altitude (on sale now), and replaced the barrel with a proof carbon prefit (thru brownells with some good % discounts now). accurate and huntable in bone-stock form though.

i know i'm in the minority but i have a tbac7 in 6.5 and just don't like the recoil pattern vs the area419 hellfire brakes i've been using and the sound reduction isn't enough for me to not wear earpro. i regret spending the dough on it.

Thank you for the great advice. I agree about the PRC for the oomph.

My vision isn't the best. Got an old Leupold 4.5x14 on a rifle and it is perfect for me on the low end. I'll look into the backcountry rings.

Great advice about the trigger spring/stock/barrel. Will begin researching those options especially since they are on discount.

I plan on only shooting the rifle suppressed, so the brake is less of an issues for me. I've had great results with my gen1 Ultra 7 on my 7mm-08. I have sensitive hearing and used to wear earpro before taking a shot while hunting, but the TBAC has proven adequate for me not to wear earpro-no ringing at all. Sorry to hear your dissatisfaction with the tbac7 in 6.5.

i know i'm in the minority but i have a tbac7 in 6.5 and just don't like the recoil pattern vs the area419 hellfire brakes i've been using. and the sound reduction isn't enough for me to not wear earpro. i regret spending the dough on it.

Forgot to ask - do you think it would be worth dropping to a 20-22" barrel to go for the ultra9? I don't mind sacrificing a few fps, especially in prc.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
PXL_20211117_035736806_2.jpg

I bought just a Veil action and built a 7SAUM on it. I don't think you'll regret going Tikka, but its hard to resist upgrading it.

View attachment 7749097
I bought just a Veil action and built a 7SAUM on it. I don't think you'll regret going Tikka, but its hard to resist upgrading it.
Awesome build. I'd love to go 7SAUM, but I don't reload.

Found the actions on JA Outdoors. Thinking I'll buy the Veil in 6.5PRC, upgrade, then use the leftover stock parts to build the 7MM-08 veil which doesn't appear available in the states.

What stock will you use? I find stock stiffness and stock comfort to be critical to my rifle satisfaction.

I would not be happy with a factory stock.

Also, that is a decent sized scope. I’d probably go 20 moa rail and good aluminum rings.

What stock will you use? I find stock stiffness and stock comfort to be critical to my rifle satisfaction.

I would not be happy with a factory stock.

Also, that is a decent sized scope. I’d probably go 20 moa rail and good aluminum rings.
Great question. I'm open to suggestions. I prefer handling the stock which makes choosing an aftermarket one difficult.

Going to order the Veil and shoot it stock for a whitetail hunt in December. Trying to get a list of mods put together.

IME, stocks can be chosen pretty well trying lots of rifles/chassis to get a feel for cheekpieces, dimensions and materials. Then you can add card board spacers to your gun to see how you like different lop’s. That gets me close.

My last rifle was a Bell & Carlson Sporter with 14” lop….and some stuff added by the smith. Turned out perfect. If you call McMillan, they can usually tell you where to try one of there’s.

Reactions: OleGrim
Forgot to ask - do you think it would be worth dropping to a 20-22" barrel to go for the ultra9? I don't mind sacrificing a few fps, especially in prc.
Yes definitely worth it for the longer suppressor.
I have a 16" 6.5 saum and with rl26 I'm over 2900 with 144 begers, my can is a Banish 30 which can be run at 7 or 9".
The difference from 7 to 9 is pretty insane, I'm talking no earpro needed at 9" while 7 is pretty damn barky.

Quick note on optics
I had an NX8 4-32 and it was a real disappointment, my mk5 5-25 was superior in every way

Reactions: SilencerCentral
Awesome build. I'd love to go 7SAUM, but I don't reload.

Found the actions on JA Outdoors. Thinking I'll buy the Veil in 6.5PRC, upgrade, then use the leftover stock parts to build the 7MM-08 veil which doesn't appear available in the states.
You could also do a 280AI which seems to have gained some factory ammunition support

Went a different route. Placed an order with Alamo Precision for a APR Altitude 7mm-08 with 18” proof barrel. Can’t say enough good things about their team. Fantastic crew to work with. Can’t wait to get my hands on the final product.

Is anyone experienced with dropping a Tikka T3X CTR into an MDT ACC Chassis? When I tried to install the action screw it barely cleared the hole. My worry is that it will come loose easy and often.