• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3x Compact Tactical Rifle Barrel Steel

fnbrowning

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
St. Louis Missouri
First time learning about this rifle. Very excited about the .308 version in matte black barrel.

One very serious question though. I've searched all over the Internet, and I cannot find any information on the barrel steels for this Tikka. Yes, I know it is hammer forged, but what type of steel is used? There could be a durability & lifespan difference between whatever they used for SS vs the matte black versions.

Thank you!

It is a stainless steel, But it's a .308, barrel life is going to be very good regardless. Dont overheat it a whole bunch and it'll probably last 5000 rounds plus. Think of the barrel of as a consumable, replace it as needed.

It is a stainless steel, But it's a .308, barrel life is going to be very good regardless. Dont overheat it a whole bunch and it'll probably last 5000 rounds plus. Think of the barrel of as a consumable, replace it as needed.
As I mentioned in the original post, I know they use SS for one SKU, but I do not know what the matte black version is. Is that a chrome moly or a treatment on SS like nitriding?

As I mentioned in the original post, I know they use SS for one SKU, but I do not know what the matte black version is. Is that a chrome moly or a treatment on SS like nitriding?

SS with colour finishes from tikka are typically cerakote. See: super varmit for one example.

The CTR is chrome moly from my understanding. I researched both barrels a bunch before buying mine. Honestly I don’t think you’re wearing one out in 308 anytime soon. If you do just replace it

In my research I remember seeing chrome moly lasting longer but the stainless generally being more accurate in the ctr

The Tikka T3x CTR .308 Win CTR (Compact Tactical Rifle) comes in two SKUs the JRTXC316 for matte black barrel and the JRTXC316S for stainless. So the CTR does not designate stainless.

As for stainless being more accurate, the bit about stainless being more accurate has always come from the 416-R being easier to machine when premium barrels are cut rifling. I think we could assume that cold hammer forging - done with a mandrel - probably minimizes the accuracy differences between stainless and Chrome-Moly. For the the Tikka I respectfully say we'd need a link to an apples to apples barrel test.

@hafejd30 Which SKU did you choose for your Tikka T3x CTR, and what is your rifles favorite ammo for 200yds and beyond?

The Tikka T3x CTR .308 Win CTR (Compact Tactical Rifle) comes in two SKUs the JRTXC316 for matte black barrel and the JRTXC316S for stainless. So the CTR does not designate stainless.

As for stainless being more accurate, the bit about stainless being more accurate has always come from the 416-R being easier to machine when premium barrels are cut rifling. I think we could assume that cold hammer forging - done with a mandrel - probably minimizes the accuracy differences between stainless and Chrome-Moly. For the the Tikka I respectfully say we'd need a link to an apples to apples barrel test.

@hafejd30 Which SKU did you choose for your Tikka T3x CTR, and what is your rifles favorite ammo for 200yds and beyond?

Blued 20”. I hand load 178 ELDX. Easy deer killer. Used manly out to 600 yards. Wasn’t much issue finding a 1/2 moa load. 4 different loads averaged under 3/4 moa. One about .4 and larger about 1 moa ish
IMG_5098.jpeg

A Tikka replacement barrel is about $450 depending on vendor. If you get 4,500 barrel life .10 per shot and at 3,000 it is .15 per shot.
Consider that difference in barrel material might be a nickel per shot and match ammo is more like a buck. Hardly worth the worrying in my opinion.

Reactions: Gonfishn