• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3x CTR as a Hunting Rig

General RE LEE

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2022
Middle TN
Howdy I’m a long time lurker and decided to create an account in this forum. There are a lot of good posts and threads on the Hide.

I own 3 Tikka T3x Lites that are excellent shooters. I have my first suppressor on order (Banish Backcountry) and decided the Tikka T3x CTR 20” barrel 6.5 Creedmoor would be a good stock platform for a suppressed hunting build.

Anyone use their CTR as a hunting rig? I hunt deer out of box blinds and tree stands so weight is not a major consideration. I have a Wilderness HMR in 6.5 PRC that I like so I don’t think the weight of the 20” barrel CTR will be an issue.

Should work well, especially since you don't have to worry about carrying the weight a long ways.

The T3x CTR with the 20" barrel isn't really much heavier than what you have now but it gives you a nice magazine system.
They tend to be very accurate out of the box so you shouldn't have any issues.

If you are keeping the stock on it, you can buy a replacement palm swell that changes the palm grip angle if you wish.

Reactions: General RE LEE
Do it!!!

I hunted 2 years in CO mtns with a 20” CTR in a McMillian as my go to rifle.

Not as light as my reg T3 and is still a kick butt platform.

Only other idea would be a chassis or stock down the road.
I still shoot 1 tikka in the factory plastic and it still hammers.
The feel and ergos of others is often better for folks if you are shooting a lot.

Or an Origin, a Prefit, and any stock or chassis you like. 😉

I'm going to offer a different perspective ...

For 6.5 Creed, a 9-11 lb gun is a sweet spot for being light enough to tote around, but heavy enough to spot your misses and manage recoil.

The CTR barrel is significantly heavier than the Lite and Superlite. I personally think you're better off running a Superlite in a heavier chassis - if you're going to add weight, add it where you actually need the functionality (having a system that fits you) rather than where you won't get any real benefit for the application (a heavy barrel).

I have a CTR in a KRG X-Ray, which comes out at about 15-16lbs scoped, and a Superlite in a KRG Bravo, which comes out at about 10 lb. I wouldn't take the first one hunting, but I would use the second one in field comps.

Hunted with a 20” CTR for 3 years or so. Mostly from box blinds. No issues and can’t find fault other than a little weight when scopes up and suppressed.

IMHO a suppressed CTR is not an ideal hunting rig but it's certainly capable to be that hybrid hunting/tactical platform. I hunted with a suppressed .308 CTR in a KRG chassis and it worked well enough but there were times it felt both cumbersome and heavy. I ended up selling it and getting a T3X Lite in an MDT HNT 26 stock and 22" barrel. Much better for weight but the barrel feels way too long and front heavy with the suppressor. Going to get a Proof 16.5 barrel installed and call it a day.

FAD57833-9978-49C1-9641-CD5CD7EEDC63.jpeg

After 15 years of buying, shooting, then selling guns, I came to the conclusion that if I'm going to be hunting I want a hunting rifle. If I'm going to a match I want a match rifle. If I want a sniper rifle I should have joined the military.

Works great as a hunting rifle. This is mine setup in my chassis that I’ll be releasing this spring with a doe I shot today.

Attachments

• 36274BD8-9D1C-42CB-843B-69E6FCF9B5C3.jpeg
    36274BD8-9D1C-42CB-843B-69E6FCF9B5C3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 286
I loved my Tikka CTR. It was a great shooting factory rifle, and I think I got the whole shebang for about 800 bucks. Since it's inception it's now been in a Manners stock with a 24" proof carbon. Now my daughter is shooting it with a 20" sendero lite proof carbon, in a MDT LSS with an adjustable buttstock.

So, I guess what I am saying is that Tikka makes a great, versatile, action. It was also awesome in it's stock form, although I had a hard time with the tupperware stock, even though it shot great. It shot just as good in stock form as it did when I added all the components to it.