• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3x CTR issues with 168 grain .308 Prvi Match ammo

madangler1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2018
Hi all,

I finally got a chance to shoot my Tikka T3x CTR today at my local range. I used 5 rd and 10 rd mags with Federal 168 grain match and Black Hills 175 SMK. When I pulled out a box of Prvi Match 168 grain 308 rounds, I had a serious issue. I loaded 5 rounds in one magazine to start. As I slid the bolt forward, the bolt would not lock all the way back into place. As I pushed it down, the gun discharged (slam fire). I had my hands outside the trigger guard, so I’m pretty sure I set off the round by force the bolt in. Regardless, I tried other Prvi rounds, and they would not feed all the way from the magazine. They would eject just fine. I proceeded to shoot several other Black Hills rounds without an issue.

I found a post on another forum stating that Prvi Match 168 grain and 175 grain have an inapproppriate OAL that is not compatiable with the Tikka. Do you think this was an ammo issue, or should I have the gun checked out by Tikka? Again, I had no other issues with the rifle firing Federal and Black Hills match ammo. I was shocked that this happened, and I want to make sure the rifle is safe.

I attached a photo. Everything is stock minus the bipod and Nightforce ATACR.

IMG_3819.JPG

I would be inclined to say it’s an ammo issue.

I found privi huntin .308 ammo tight to chamber in my Tikka T3 varmint.

I would be inclined to say it’s an ammo issue.

I found privi huntin .308 ammo tight to chamber in my Tikka T3 varmint.
Can’t say but did you lighten the factory trigger? I just posted in the Tikka thread that I did and when I ran the bolt hard (dry fire) the trigger would reset. This will not solve the feeding issues but if you did it could be a combination of the ammo not feeding and the bolt manipulation??? Just my SWAG.

Can’t say but did you lighten the factory trigger? I just posted in the Tikka thread that I did and when I ran the bolt hard (dry fire) the trigger would reset. This will not solve the feeding issues but if you did it could be a combination of the ammo not feeding and the bolt manipulation??? Just my SWAG.

I had similar issues when I adjusted my trigger pull weight real low. I adjusted the pull weight until I could literally slam the bolt home without any issues. It's been smooth sailing since.

Thanks for the replies.

No I did nothing to the trigger. Everything is stock.

I would definitely prefer a 2 stage trigger that is 4 lbs like my Geissele and Knights triggers on my ARs. Given I shot this alongside my SPR clone, I wonder now if I should have bought the Tac A1 model instead of the CTR. I have a Manners stock and Tikka chassis system coming to me next month (all carbon fiber). Perhaps I’ll like the ergonomics then.

Prvi Match is garbage ammo so after you throw it in the trash, get some quality factory ammo with a SD under 100 and actually made to spec.

Reactions: jpspeeddemon