• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3x: CTR vs AICS magazines

CTR or AICS magazines

• Total voters

awcmon

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2018
A new KRG Bravo for the Tikka T3x that accepts CTR magazines came out and I am a bit torn over which to get as I am not invested into either (I only have a single CTR mag that came with my CTR). This does seem to be a fairly controversial topic from what I've seen, so I'm curious on the exact proportion of people who prefer which and why.

From what I can tell

CTR Pros:
-Shorter due to being double stack
-2.950" COAL
-Allegedly smoother and easier to load? I have no experience with AICS magazines so I cannot say, but this is what I have read from some people here.

CTR Cons:
-Possible feeding problems?
-Loose fitment in magwell?

I have not really experienced these cons personally, but some people here seem to have.

AICS Pros:
-More "universal" than the CTR pattern (many different manufacturers such as MDT, ARC, etc; can use mags across different guns; can borrow mags from others easier)
-Reliability issues less common?

AICS Cons:
-Longer due to most AICS magazines being single stack
-2.880" COAL w/o modification? Apparently the binder plate can be removed or something?
-Magpul and possibly other polymer AICS magazines will not fit without modification.

This is largely what I have collected so far. Feel free to add/correct/verify.

Some people don’t like the CTR mags and I went with certain Manners stocks thst prevented me from being able to run them now, but I swear when my CTR was in the factory stock they were far superior IMO. It feed so smooth that you literally would think it didn’t pick a round up, I’ve yet to have an aics mag feel that great. But I will say that I’ve had no issues with the aics and they feed fine just not as slick.

And yes it it great being able to hold 10 in a short length mag and if you only load 5 it makes it that much easier to load , I believe you’d be fine with either, you will prolly get 20 different opinions but this is mine.

I’m debating the same thing, though leaning heavily the aics route just to have a more universal mag.

Also consider you can get mags without the binder plate, don’t necessarily need to remove it.

I've run both and tend to agree with @tree man his assesment is pretty spot on I have had no problem with either setup. Good luck.

I like the ctr mags. They feed far smoother. There is no arguing that. A simple spring bend allows the ctr mags to feed 100%.

If the chassis you like allows ctr mags then thats the way to go. If it doesnt then pick up some AI mags. Do not base your choice on being “universal”. Having a few of each amounts to pennies in this game. You already have different mags for everything else. There is no “universal.

Reactions: Stooxie
I run the magpul aics mags in my manners. Gotta trim em up a bit but work great. I have some Christiansan arms new mags on the way so we shall see how they run. I got a vid on the YouTube and no issues feeding.

The only thing holding me back from getting the stock is that it doesn't come in Sako green.

CTR mags hands down. I've been waiting on the CTR version of the Bravo for a while and ordered one the day they went up on KRG's website.

I should start by saying I have never used AICS mags in my Tikka. I do have them for my 300wm r700 and I'm not really a fan. They seem well made, the steel appears to be thicker than my CTR mags but, I don't like the feel of how they feed, I don't like loading them and I don't like the big lip on the bottom plate (prevents carrying two mags in a pouch). I like that the CTR mags are shorter and easier to load but, I've not found them to load as easily as an AR mag which I kinda expect from a double stack.

I have also read that some of the AICS pattern mags don't work well at top feeding single rounds. My actual AICS mags on my 300wm do fine as do my CTR mags.

I was seriously considering the new Bravo for CTR mags but, ended up going with a B&C that is also inlet for the same mags. I may still buy a Bravo just to see which I prefer.

Bob

This isnt helping my decision. The thought of not having to buy mags is nice, but then I have to buy more CTR mags.

I have been in a similar spot, sure I wanted a Tikka build but not sure which mags to go with. I recently bought a chassis for AICS mags just to have the additional flexibility to have BR mag kits and extensions (or both, with the MDT 12 Rd BR mags). Kind of a chicken and the egg problem, if CTR mags were more widespread then there would be more support for things like that.

I started with CTR mags worked fine from the start no issues. Got my first rifle that accepted AICS mags and about drove myself nuts getting the feed lips tuned. Once you get it its okay for AICS mags but CTR wins that battle hands down IMO.

I had a AICS bottom metal for a few months and really wasn't a fan.
The 10 shot magazine was far to long for my use so was better off sticking with factory extended magazine.

Have had limited use of the CTR magazine and it does seem pretty slick.
The shorter length is enough reason alone to recommend over the AICS.

Thanks for the responses, guys. So at the moment, there are 15 votes for CTR mags and 12 for AICS. However, most of these responses seem to be pro-CTR. Anybody have anything to say about why AICS would be better or is it being more universal the biggest draw?

The thing is, a lot of the "AICS" votes are considering factors that may or may not apply to you. If you want a common magazine across multiple different platforms then AICS might be a good option. Aside from that, the CTR magazine is terrific. They snick in place, hold firm, feed smoothly and are double stacked.

I had an AICS chassis (XLR Element) that took AICS magazines. Three things I didn't like about them: the cost (CTR mags are no different in this regard), the height and the WEIGHT. They were damn heavy, which is fine when I need a traction aid for my M1 Abrams, but in a hunting rig I don't need 3+ inches of mag sticking out the bottom or the added weight.

Unless you are already invested in AICS I'd say go with the CTR mags. If for some reason you want to change in the future the CTR based stuff will sell quickly in the PX.

-Stooxie

Last edited:
Reactions: awcmon
Thanks for the response. If that's the case, I guess I might jump on the KRG Bravo with CTR mags because its possible that it is only a limited edition run, depending on how well it sells, apparently. I was considering an AICS so I can share mags if I ever got another bolt gun, but you make a good point that I can just sell my CTR stuff.

I was also worried if the CTR mags had any special problems, like, some people here have complained about feeding problems or mags not fitting in the mag well, but it appears to not be a common problem?

I've run CTR mags in three rifles and had no feeding issues. I recently bought a Bravo chassis with AICS mags and had good luck with that as well. I wish I would have waited for the CTR mag Bravo now though... I like the compact size of the CTR mags.

Here's my CTR w/ Bravo that takes CTR mags.
IMG_20191217_124528.jpg

Last edited:
+1 for the CTR mags.

I had two stocks (one Manners and one PSE) that took the AICS mags, and ended up selling both in order to get the same PSE stock that uses the CTR mags. No comparison imo.
@ejg

7607C94E-9D45-4909-862E-27E73CAD01AB.jpeg

Last edited:
@awcmon

It’s all mostly been covered here in this thread. However, probably the biggest nuisance for me was having to grind the mag release so it would fit perfectly. It’s just a nuisance grinding it down to fit the AICS mags only to have it not work with say ARC mags or the MDT polymer ones. Also the AICS mags in my setup had a few FTF issues. I think I was able to work it out but still. This CTR mag, albeit $200, works perfectly every time, period. And as mentioned, the double stack design is so much nicer.

Having said that, if I had of kept those other two stocks and was still using the CDI metal with the AICS mags, I wouldn’t be here complaining. It wouldn’t be an issue. Either setup works but I prefer the no-fuss, cleaner and arguably more reliable factory bottom metal/mag setup.

I guess if said stock was a perfect inlet and was “factory fit“ with a bottom metal and those AICS mags then that would be as reliable as the factory setup. That doesn’t change the long ass 10-rd AI mags tho.. lol.

Reactions: Stooxie and awcmon
@pazzo
If you are willing to pay $200 for CTR mags I will sell you the 8 or so I have. Buy them all and I will make you a package deal of $1200 shipped. PM me if you are interested ?

Never had any trouble with 10+aics mags from ai, accurate, and mdt. Only mag catch that needed trimming was related to action(axiom and deadline). Other than that they've required no additional work, in 6br to 6.5prc in rem, sav, win, tikka, axiom, tl3, origin, defiance, impact, and ai actions. I must be doing something right, lol.

Ya, I don't really understand this idea that single feed AICS mags don't feed. I put my T3 in a Bravo, stuck a mag in and it ran without issues. Same mag I use in 3 other guns. They run perfectly.
I have never had to tweak an AI mag to work with a Tikka, Curtis Axiom, or Remington 700. The only mag I have had to jack with was one that I bought used that someone already screwed with.

Reactions: lawofsavage
Ya, I don't really understand this idea that single feed AICS mags don't feed. I put my T3 in a Bravo, stuck a mag in and it ran without issues. Same mag I use in 3 other guns. They run perfectly.

I was referring specifically to separate bottom metal that had to be mated to a stock inlet. I’ve never had issues with AICS mags in a chassis (eg Bravo) either.

If I were to have one complaint only, all other things being equal, I’d say the length of the AICS 10-rd mags would be it.

@pazzo
If you are willing to pay $200 for CTR mags I will sell you the 8 or so I have. Buy them all and I will make you a package deal of $1200 shipped. PM me if you are interested ?

They range up here from just below $200 to above, depending.

The other thing to consider is if the Bravo is your final stock. I got the Bravo, and it was a great starter stock. Once I started getting more into competitions, I wanted a bit more customizations and weight balance stuff so now I run a MDT ACC. If I had gone with a CTR Bravo and stocked up with CTR mags, those would... all be sitting on the shelf while I rebuy all my AICS mags.

They range up here from just below $200 to above, depending.
That sucks. They are about what AI mags are here. $70 ish

I tend to forget that not everyone that visits this site are the chosen people.

Reactions: reNickulous
I already posted in the T3 thread, but I just thought I'd like to make a followup here in case anybody reads this in the future or w.e

I ended up getting the AICS version of the Bravo, and it was surprising to me how much smoother CTR magazines fed. I think they were also a fair bit easier to load, and the shorter height definitely is nice.

However, I don't really find them big issues and do like how I can actually remove the floorplate on the AICS mags (can't really remove them on the CTR from what I can tell).

So I just got a Christiansen arms acis 10rd mag that showed up from the veternsday promo. First impression was dang...felt very sturdy and not cheesy or felt like I was going to break it which I almost thought I did.
Results....
My ctr barreled action in a manners prst1k with manners Bottom metal- has play in it and I need to shave top of feed lips a tiny bit so it can fully seat in magwell.

My wifes factory lefty ctr 6.5cm fit like a glove going in (had to spit on it first). It was a little tight when removing but once the mag gets worked in I see no issues. It fed rounds better the magpul acis and way better then my ctr mags.

I will deff be buying more. Lots more.

@awcmon

It’s all mostly been covered here in this thread. However, probably the biggest nuisance for me was having to grind the mag release so it would fit perfectly. It’s just a nuisance grinding it down to fit the AICS mags only to have it not work with say ARC mags or the MDT polymer ones. Also the AICS mags in my setup had a few FTF issues. I think I was able to work it out but still. This CTR mag, albeit $200, works perfectly every time, period. And as mentioned, the double stack design is so much nicer.

Having said that, if I had of kept those other two stocks and was still using the CDI metal with the AICS mags, I wouldn’t be here complaining. It wouldn’t be an issue. Either setup works but I prefer the no-fuss, cleaner and arguably more reliable factory bottom metal/mag setup.

I guess if said stock was a perfect inlet and was “factory fit“ with a bottom metal and those AICS mags then that would be as reliable as the factory setup. That doesn’t change the long ass 10-rd AI mags tho.. lol.
I only paid 75.00 for my CTR magazines from Grab a Gun.

So I just got a Christiansen arms acis 10rd mag that showed up from the veternsday promo. First impression was dang...felt very sturdy and not cheesy or felt like I was going to break it which I almost thought I did.
Results....
My ctr barreled action in a manners prst1k with manners Bottom metal- has play in it and I need to shave top of feed lips a tiny bit so it can fully seat in magwell.

My wifes factory lefty ctr 6.5cm fit like a glove going in (had to spit on it first). It was a little tight when removing but once the mag gets worked in I see no issues. It fed rounds better the magpul acis and way better then my ctr mags.

I will deff be buying more. Lots more.
Where did you get the Lefty CTR? I would love one as I am a lefty and have to settle for right hand CTR.

The ctr stock was right handed. I just removed material from the stock on the left side so the bolt would close. Everything else is the same and that is all that is needed.

Where did you get the Lefty CTR? I would love one as I am a lefty and have to settle for right hand CTR.
Ctr's are available lefty in 223.

TACa1 lefty 6.5 is the only option. Tac a1 - chassis= ctr barreled action + factory 2 stage trigger.

For the Lefty 6.5 taca1 youre looking for a JRTAC482L.

Last edited:
hey dudes. i believe i have officially read every single thread on CTR vs AICS mags for the KRG Bravo regarding Tikka actions. the consensus seems to be split almost down the middle. I am completely new to bolt guns / tikkas / chassis in general, but have a good line on a deal for a pre-owned KRG bravo chassis for tikka that accept AICS mags, which also includes two 10rd AI mags and a 5-rounder.

I was set on the CTR version of the bravo for the “smooth feeling” but as someone who is a literal noob, and wants to use this rifle primarily to hunt white tail and plink and reasonable distances, is the difference negligible?

for more context, i have a tikka T3x Lite Compact in .308, that i plan to upgrade slowly but surely along the way, to expand its capabilities later. (rebarreling, threading for suppressor)

I am pretty set on the KRG Bravo chassis in general, but the decision between CTR mags and AICS is haunting me in a sort of neurotic, irrational way.

Any information is helpful, I have learned quite a bit as a noob just perusing old posts here and in rokslide. Thanks a bunch everyone !

hey dudes. i believe i have officially read every single thread on CTR vs AICS mags for the KRG Bravo regarding Tikka actions. the consensus seems to be split almost down the middle. I am completely new to bolt guns / tikkas / chassis in general, but have a good line on a deal for a pre-owned KRG bravo chassis for tikka that accept AICS mags, which also includes two 10rd AI mags and a 5-rounder.

I was set on the CTR version of the bravo for the “smooth feeling” but as someone who is a literal noob, and wants to use this rifle primarily to hunt white tail and plink and reasonable distances, is the difference negligible?

for more context, i have a tikka T3x Lite Compact in .308, that i plan to upgrade slowly but surely along the way, to expand its capabilities later. (rebarreling, threading for suppressor)

I am pretty set on the KRG Bravo chassis in general, but the decision between CTR mags and AICS is haunting me in a sort of neurotic, irrational way.

Any information is helpful, I have learned quite a bit as a noob just perusing old posts here and in rokslide. Thanks a bunch everyone !

I know how you feel, it's an OCD thing. You've read every thread enough to validate whichever way you go. In the end all you can do is pick one and see how you like it. No decision is permanent. Change if you want to later. Buyers will snap up whatever you want to sell.

I have tried both. I stuck with CTR mags. They are excellent and I don't like the single stack and super tall AICS mags. I don't care about cross platform compatibility. But either way your gun will shoot.

-Stooxie

Even more reason to go aics, you can use 5 round mags for your application. I’m surprised as many like the ctr mags, I did not.

I like CTR mags and as I am already set up for them I plan to stick with them.
In your case I'd take the deal.

CTR mags are expensive, even AICS aren't cheap so jumping on a good deal on a used set up will save you a fair bit of money.
The main advantage of CTR mags being shorter in negligible if you can just use 5 rounders for hunting purposes, on the range must people manage just fine with 10 round AICS mags so it's not really an issue.

very cool. are the issues regarding binder plate vs no binder plate also sort of null? i know phillip velayo was saying he gets better performance out of the non binder plate mags.

i guess my whole problem is that i don’t know what i don’t know, and what’s worth and not worth worrying about.

i guess my whole problem is that i don’t know what i don’t know, and what’s worth and not worth worrying about.
It can be hard starting out, forums are good and full of lots of information but with no experience it's hard to know what to filter out and what to keep.

If you are unsure about a particular product and have no way of testing out/comparing before hand, then try and buy used. Chances are you will loose very little money if you need to re-sell later on.
In many ways trying different things for yourself is the only way to really know what works and what doesn't, buying used gear is a less risky way (monetary wise) of doing so.

It can be hard starting out, forums are good and full of lots of information but with no experience it's hard to know what to filter out and what to keep.

If you are unsure about a particular product and have no way of testing out/comparing before hand, then try and buy used. Chances are you will loose very little money if you need to re-sell later on.
In many ways trying different things for yourself is the only way to really know what works and what doesn't, buying used gear is a less risky way (monetary wise) of doing so.
very good points. i’m gonna pull the trigger on this pre-owned deal with AICS and see how i fare starting out. I appreciate all the insight from you and everyone !

very cool. are the issues regarding binder plate vs no binder plate also sort of null? i know phillip velayo was saying he gets better performance out of the non binder plate mags.

No binder plate will not be a problem in the tikka.

Reactions: Dobermann
What is the general consensus now that it's been a few years since KRG released their Bravo with the CTR magazine option? Bravo AICS vs Bravo CTR in 2022?

I purchased a T3X CTR a few days ago and was not expecting the factory magazine to have so much play in every direction. My old Savage 10FCP-SR with their propriety mag is completely solid when it's inserted into the stock. I "fixed" the loose mag by following instructions from the famous YouTube video with English subtitles so now it feels nice and tight. However, does this mean the magazine won't work as well in the Bravo chassis after I tweaked it with a screwdriver for the factory chassis?

I never handled an AICS magazine so I don't know if they have a lot of play like the CTR did. My only experiences with rifle mags with the AR15 and FCP-SR. So maybe I'm overthinking this.

What is the general consensus now that it's been a few years since KRG released their Bravo with the CTR magazine option? Bravo AICS vs Bravo CTR in 2022?

I purchased a T3X CTR a few days ago and was not expecting the factory magazine to have so much play in every direction. My old Savage 10FCP-SR with their propriety mag is completely solid when it's inserted into the stock. I "fixed" the loose mag by following instructions from the famous YouTube video with English subtitles so now it feels nice and tight. However, does this mean the magazine won't work as well in the Bravo chassis after I tweaked it with a screwdriver for the factory chassis?

I never handled an AICS magazine so I don't know if they have a lot of play like the CTR did. My only experiences with rifle mags with the AR15 and FCP-SR. So maybe I'm overthinking this.
My krg bravo on my ctr has zero slop with the ctr mags. Smoother feeding compared to AICS mags I’ve used in R700 and Savage in the past.

My ctr with the bravo is closer to my AI in terms of feeding and fit than my AICS setups if that helps any. I did zero modifications to mine

IMO, yes, you are overthinking it. I've been shooting 308, 7mm-08 (my own build) and 223 Tikka CTRs for years and the mags have never failed or been a problem. I just checked mine, yep, the mags wiggle. Never even thought about it. I much prefer the lower profile of the double stack CTR mags to the longer single(ish) stack of the AICS ones.

I think the reason most people switch to AICS is to be compatible with other rifles they have that use those mags. Other than that, there is absolutely no reason to change them out.

-Stooxie

Reactions: mossler
If you're shooting PRS? AICS all the way.

That extra couple rounds in the mag makes a difference. If you're not, well I got nuthin cause my chassis takes AICS mags and I haven't tried anything else

M