• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3X Hunter--Stock finish is crap

Scottyman

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2008
Maine
Bought this year and it got wet this morning and noticed it smelled of wood stain. In drying it off some wood stain came off onto the paper towels and stained my hands. When sitting out in the snow, I noticed the stock was quickly absorbing the melted snow. The stock now has nasty looking water stains.
Does Tikka customer service exist?

You need to oil the fuck out of them if you’re going to take them out in the field, Tikka doesn’t oil them.

Even if you go through all the bullshit of trying to deal with Beretta I highly doubt they’re going to replace a wood stock that’s water damaged. IMO that’s on you for not oiling it.

I would dry it out well and apply several coats of oil. Maker sure you pull the barreled action and recoil pad and oil in their too otherwise moisture will just pull through there instead.

Just ordered some tung oil. Ridiculous Tikka makes an outdoor hunting firearm that is not ready to be used outdoors.
Warning--Do not get wet. Stain will come off. We suck at wood finishing, but our guns shoot great.

Is this your first wood stock or just the first one you’ve taken outside? Most of them don’t come oiled or if they do it’s not very well.

Reactions: jbuck88
Not my 1st. --Yeah, I've never taken my guns outside. Only shoot inside. :LOL: Never had one like this with such a terrible finish. Remington and Ruger stocks never did this.

I think I've oiled every wood stock I've owned, but I don't recall having the finish stain my hands when new either.

The cost of wood is maintaining it. That's why my main hunting rifles are stainless/synthetic