• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3X in .284 or 6.5-284 ?

CaptNemo

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2009
    Southern Alabama
    I've got a wild hair that is itching to put a .284 Win based cartridge in my 6.5 CM CTR based rifle ( 0.473" Bolt Face ).
    I have an ACC and a Bravo Chassis that are AICS pattern and I have a stock of the MDT No Binder Plate Magazines ( 2.960" Interior Dimension ) already.
    The appeal of the .284 based cartridge is that it's just different enough to be cool, but I don't need a 0.532" Magnum bolt face to chamber a PRC based cartridge. - Besides, PRC Stuff is unobtanium right now anyways.
    This is just a barrel change and maybe tweak the feed lips on a magazine or two to make it feed just right. Of course, there's dies brass and projectiles if I go .284 vs 6.5-284 - I have a stock of . As for the barrel, I'm thinking 22" Carbon fiber wrapped and threaded 5/8"-24 for a brake or suppressor mount.
    This should work well as a hunting rifle for out west - Mule Deer, Elk, Pronghorn or Pigs with Nosler Accubonds, Barnes TTSX / LRX's or even for NRL Hunter.
    Anyone done anything similar with a Tikka ?

I've toyed with the idea of a shortened .284W case to use in a short action.
    I settled on shortening the case and pushing the shoulder back by 0.225". If used with no binder mags this lets the 162gn and 168gn match bullets get seated with the shank just ahead of the base of the neck.
    I've gone as far as shortening a set of dies by .225" and forming some brass. Let me tell you it's a lot of work and success depends on the brass being used and how patient you are. I found Norma brass to work the best as it's thinner.
    The end result has a H2o capacity approx 10% more than a 7mm-08 and roughly 5% more than a 7mm-08AI.
    My next step will be to get a barrel chambered with a standard .284W reamer, (short chambered by .225"). If the concept works then i'll go to the trouble of ordering a proper custom reamer and maybe even base it on .284 Shehane dimensions.

If you didn't already have the chassis and mags I would say just buy a Long action chassis for your Tikka and replace your bolt stop with a long action bolt stop. The Tikka is a one-size-fits-all action so you can easily switch between short and long action calibers with the appropriate mag and bolt stop changes.
    The standard .284 in a long action, when properly throated to seat the heavy bullets out there and not too deep into the neck is an awesome caliber.

Last edited:
    The extra punch of something 7mm would be beneficial hunting out west. 280ai or .284w, flip a coin if you’d like

5f363af658348475ea6f574cdfcd8665.jpg

SAC built 284Win
    Tikka long action
    Not mine unfortunately. First page of the Tikka build thread. I've been in love with this rifle for years!

Right now I can screw a reasonable weight rifle together with the Bravo and the No Binder mags to get it making impacts on steel or meat.
    I'm thinking straight .284 or a Shehane for a little longer barrel life and a little more oomph on target than the 6.5-284.
    A hunting style stock in a long action is an additional expense plus new magazines .
    Then we're back to a 280 AI or even a 6.5/06 AI with the long action set up - maybe for next season.

Reactions: jsimonh
    I pulled the trigger on a 22" X-Caliber Carbon Fiber Wrapped barrel with 5r rifling in an 8" twist chambered in .284 Winchester this afternoon.
    14 to 16 weeks lead time is gonna suck, but it will give me time to build up a stash or reloading components and look for a 30/06 length inletted stock for the beast. I may have to start prowling the Equipment Exchange for a stock and magazines.

My buddy runs a long action Remington 700 for his 284. He doesn’t regret going with a long action.

I hunt mule deer and elk with a .280 AI. The thing is a hammer. I'm pushing a 162 gr out of a 24" barrel at 3043 FPS. I can't recommend it enough.

Reactions: The D
    Not mine unfortunately. First page of the Tikka build thread. I've been in love with this rifle for years!

Thanks for the kind words. That rifle still sits in my safe, and doesn't get shot enough anymore; I last had her out back in late summer, still shoots great. She was my first ever semi-custom rifle, and I'd build a .284Win again in a heart beat.

If you want info on 284win the NZhuntingandshooting forum is a surprisingly good resource, lots of guys there have rechambered 7mm08 Tikkas and run them in SA length magazines.

For a hunting rifle I think 284 is an excellent cartridge, AICS mag length basically forces you into the 160ish grain projectiles which isn't a draw back for long range shooting but for hunting a 162gr bullet from a 284 will have more energy than any 6.5mm cartridge.

Something else worth considering would be the 7mmSAW but I think 284win is probably a better choice for your intended use.

I bought Peterson Brass, Barnes 150g TTSX bullets, Redding Type S Full Length Sizing Die, Bushings.
    I scored a pound of RL 17 and a pound of H 4381 at the same LGS that I scored an 8 pound jug of Accurate 2520 at earlier in the week.
    There are no Forster micrometer seating dies to be found right now, so I'll be searching for that until the the barrel gets here... In 13 to 16 weeks...

Reactions: WallaWalla6mmCM
    Im not using a tikka but doing a some what similar build on M70. I have a 26" #5 contoured diamond flute an cryo treated x-cal barrel on hand just waiting to go to a smith. Planning to feed it 8lbs. of VV N160 and 168gr bergers, only got 200 so far. But i'll be interested in how yours turns out. Everything you got going is what i was planning for my sons 1st rifle build
    20220320_100400.jpg

284 Win using a short action AICS mag is just not a recipe for success. Go short mag (7wsm or saum or 7-270wsm) or long action magazine.

I've built two straight 284 Win barrels for the T3 and they're great. Trajectories are identical to 338 Lapua on 3/5 the shoulder punishment. 21 +/- 0.5 mil of drop at 1800yds in both cases. Accurate.

Building one with a short action magazine just isn't helpful- you'll become frustrated with it immediately.

Use a 284 Gap Match reamer with a fast twist and it's gtg from 162 to 195gr.

Reactions: kabarNC
    I have the stock from my T3 .223 Rem ( If I can find it ) that may just require a mag change and will get me into .30/06 length stock for now.
    The ergos will suck, but I can pirate the Varmint Forend and more Vertical grip off of my CTR stock to help it fit better.
    Am I remembering correctly, that the CTR's have the 30/06 length bolt stops as OEM ?
    I have 150 Berger TTSX bullets coming, I'm also looking at the Berger 139 LRX for a more "Deer-ish" or pronghorn load with a little more velocity and a better BC than the 150...
    I'm interested to see how the new Hornady CX bullets work in the field and what their expansion velocity is for the 7mm bullets.

I have the stock from my T3 .223 Rem ( If I can find it ) that may just require a mag change and will get me into .30/06 length stock for now.
    The ergos will suck, but I can pirate the Varmint Forend and more Vertical grip off of my CTR stock to help it fit better.
    Am I remembering correctly, that the CTR's have the 30/06 length bolt stops as OEM ?
    I have 150 Berger TTSX bullets coming, I'm also looking at the Berger 139 LRX for a more "Deer-ish" or pronghorn load with a little more velocity and a better BC than the 150...
    I'm interested to see how the new Hornady CX bullets work in the field and what their expansion velocity is for the 7mm bullets.
    Not sure if it's a medium length bolt stop but it is defenitely longer than the stanard SA bolt stock.
    I put a CTR stock, bottom metal and mag on my factory 260 (SA length bolt stop) and it was too short to allow feeding from the mag.

Not sure if it's a medium length bolt stop but it is defenitely longer than the stanard SA bolt stock.
    I put a CTR stock, bottom metal and mag on my factory 260 (SA length bolt stop) and it was too short to allow feeding from the mag.
    Next time I have the barreled action out of the chassis, I'll pull the bolt stop and check it out.

Reloading stuff is showing up.
    The bullets, brass and sizing die are here.
    I should have the long bolt stop, internal action wrench, barrel nut & headspace gauge next week.
    Then, the barrel and the Forster seating die…

I have a barrel vise and an external action wrench. The internal wrench will be for re-barrels once the OEM barrel is removed.

Attachments

• F4759009-9F0B-4AA8-B1C9-E70FD6A2B999.jpeg
      F4759009-9F0B-4AA8-B1C9-E70FD6A2B999.jpeg
      632.7 KB · Views: 70
    Done scooped up couple pounds of 4831sc today to try on the side. I just need another run of 168 bergers or even some 150 e tips and i'll get the ball rolling!

Most of the stuff minus the barrel and the seating die are here so the waiting game is a tough one...

So you’re saying you have a 7mm Rem Mag?
    Pretty much. Some of the positives about this round.

Magnum velocities with 57 grains of powder.
    I never have to trim brass
    I get 5 rounds in the mag

Pretty much. Some of the positives about this round.

Magnum velocities with 57 grains of powder.
    I never have to trim brass
    I get 5 rounds in the mag

57 is better than 69, that’s huge
    I neck size only so brass trimming isn’t really a thing
    3+1 is fine

I have a mountain rifle that was probably built in the late 70's .
    It's built on a Sako action and was imported by Stoeger.
    Originally I think Marlin was buying these action from Stoeger and trying to compete in the bolt action market.
    Remember the Marlin 'micro groove rifling barrels'?

Anyway, a friend of a friend of mine sent it off to a Smith to have it built into a mountain rifle. I think the only thing that was used was the action, bolt, and trigger?
    In those days Kenny Jarrett was building barrels with less than 1 moa guarantees witch were rare at the time.

Well to get to the point.
    This rifle is a short action chambered in a straight 284 win with a 20" Jarrett ss (lite) barrel.
    It weights a little over 6 pounds w/scope.

It hasn't been shot that much and so I'll be working up a load for it before this coming elk season.

Right now I have several bullets to choose from, a set of dies but only H-4350 for powder.
    A long time ago I worked up a load for it with 140 gr. Berger vld-h that was getting 2900 fps with imr4831sc.

I'll be watching this thread to see what you decide on as far as caliber and load.
    Should be an interesting adventure

Precision reloading had the Forster Micrometer Seating die, now they have one less. That should be here around the end of the week.
    I need to get my lathe up and running so that I can make a dummy case for the Lock & Load Comparator.
    Now if the barrel would just get here... Mid June feels like such a long ways away.

Reactions: GONE BAD
    Holy crap !!! I got a Shipping Notice From X-Caliber Barrels on Tuesday and the tracking info shows that the package is actually moving thru the system !!
    I'm Supposed to have a barrel on Tuesday next week.
    I guess I should tear down my CTR and start Kroiling the barrel tenon and get ready to pull the OEM Barrel.

Reactions: GONE BAD
    Holy crap !!! I got a Shipping Notice From X-Caliber Barrels on Tuesday and the tracking info shows that the package is actually moving thru the system !!
    I'm Supposed to have a barrel on Tuesday next week.
    I guess I should tear down my CTR and start Kroiling the barrel tenon and get ready to pull the OEM Barrel.

So the seating die got here last week and the barrel arrived to day - 1 Month and 1 Day after ordering. No complaints about that
    I spent a little on Saturday tearing down the CTR - Optic, rail, trigger, bolt stop etc. and started the Kroil in the threads.
    Took it to the shop today, bolted the barrel vice onto the table on my milling machine and prepped the barrel with powdered rosin and a couple of business cards in the vice.
    Got the action wrench on the action and tightened the bolts just a bump past finger tight.
    First pull on the handle was a no-go.
    2' of cheater pipe went on the end of the action wrench and a little grunt and off she came. Not as bad as my T3 Lite in .223 but I was fighting to get the barrel clamped tight enough on that skinny tapered barrel.
    I cleaned the bore and ran a bore scope from end to end. no glaring issues, just needs to be screwed together and start load development.
    I'll toss the action and the muzzle brakes in the ultrasonic cleaner tomorrow to get them Clean- Clean and then get to work assembling the barrel to the action, setting headspace, etc.

The new CF wrapped barrel is 2 lbs. 9 oz.
    The OEM CTR 24" Carbon Steel Barrel is 3lbs. 7 oz. 14 oz. weight savings there.
    The barreled action should be sub 5 lbs. with a trigger, etc.

Attachments

• C66AF79B-8E25-4FF8-AD19-C4FF10C845E7.jpeg
      C66AF79B-8E25-4FF8-AD19-C4FF10C845E7.jpeg
      548.7 KB · Views: 74
    • 4FC88A1C-588A-48F4-8A5C-601D671C1C89.jpeg
      4FC88A1C-588A-48F4-8A5C-601D671C1C89.jpeg
      609.9 KB · Views: 72
    • 8D0D8594-56FB-4306-B6A6-6C5A712B9284.jpeg
      8D0D8594-56FB-4306-B6A6-6C5A712B9284.jpeg
      540.3 KB · Views: 70
    • D77AE691-D907-4EA0-97F1-FB1EC111F44C.jpeg
      D77AE691-D907-4EA0-97F1-FB1EC111F44C.jpeg
      204.4 KB · Views: 68
    • 727C80C2-0AB1-4AD1-AA8D-1DA9AA929C4B.jpeg
      727C80C2-0AB1-4AD1-AA8D-1DA9AA929C4B.jpeg
      291.2 KB · Views: 67
    • 56CB7604-A87B-43B0-8FE4-920517145A16.jpeg
      56CB7604-A87B-43B0-8FE4-920517145A16.jpeg
      243.2 KB · Views: 70
    Last edited:
    OK, Progress report:
    Masked the barrel and gave it a trip thru the glass bead blast cabinet to knock the shiny off of the exposed metal.
    Cleaned the action and put the barrel on, adjusted head space and locktighted the barrel nut in position to make it as "Switchbarrel" as possible.
    Put the Area 419 20MOA rail on, the KRG Midas trigger and the Mountain Tactical bolt stop in the action and put it in the ACC Chassis for barrel break in and accuracy testing / load development.
    Post Bead Blast
    IMG_6120.JPG

IMG_6119.JPG

IMG_6123.JPG

Sub 5 Lbs. Barreled action

IMG_6135.JPG

All coming together

IMG_6153.jpg

IMG_6142.JPG

5 Round MDT "Non Binder Plate" Magazines with dummy rounds loaded to 2.950" Fed and functioned perfectly.

IMG_6143.JPG

I ran into an issue with the 10 Round MDT "Non Binder Plate" mags - There is a stiffening rib that interferes with the shoulder on the .284 case.
    If I was worried about 10 round magazines, a little but of grinding would clean up that rib and let the case pass thru unimpeded.
    Not a worry on a Creedmoor or .308 based cartridge, as that rib is in an area that there is no case shoulder in with those rounds. We're outside the normal operating parameters, so no complaints - just putting the info out there for anyone that might need it @MDT_OFFICIAL @MDT_Josh - I tagged you guys in as an FYI is all.

IMG_6144.JPG

Looks like more COAL will be a good thing. These are some old 150 Nosler Ballistic Tips and the bullet is definitely taking up powder volume below the neck to shoulder junction.
    Now to get to loading and shooting.

UPDATE- I have fired the rile with an Area 419 Sidewinder Brake and the recoil isn't bad at all off the bench.
    Barrel break in was 40 rounds and should be good to go for load development now.
    I bought a 5/16-32 tap and modified a fired case in the lathe to make a Lock N Load Seating Length Gauge.
    Looks like it's throated to seat the bullets closer to the 3.340" OAL measurement and it's a long jump with bullets seated at the 2.950" Non-Binder Plate limit for a Short Action Magazine.
    I'll keep the BA in the ACC Chassis and will single load the cartridges for load development with a bullet jump of approx. 0.020"
    I found my take off Lightweight Stock so I have a stock with the standard bottom inlet and can use OEM 30/06 length magazines after I open up the barrel channel.

Reactions: long range sponge