• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3x Super varmint vs CTR

Grimaries

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2021
Manitoba, Canada
I was debating buying either the CTR or ordering the new Super varmint in 6.5 CM, the super varmint is about $500 more. I would eventually drop whichever into an MDT chassis. Can anyone confirm that the super varmint has a stainless barrel underneath the cerakote? Any other input is appreciated as this is my first long range rifle!

Attachments

• D57B9640-7D4D-4690-BDC6-9E600A8D8C84.jpeg
    D57B9640-7D4D-4690-BDC6-9E600A8D8C84.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 505
So I have a Tikka CTR that I just happened to be shooting this morning. The weak point of the CTR is the stock, which isn't great for precision shooting. I dropped mine into an XLR chassis.

Using some recently purchased Primary Arms 147 gr. ammo (in 6.5 CM) at 300 yards I was getting 1.5" 5 shot groups. This is in good, but not perfect conditions (variable crosswind of between 0-5 mph). Things opened up a little at 400 yards, but conditions also got a little worse. And that's using a 17x scope, which is certainly more than adequate for most applications at 400 yards, but maybe not ideal if the goal is to shoot the smallest groups possible.

Don't have any experience with the Super Varmint and not sure how it differs from the CTR (heavier barrel, different twist rate for lighter bullets?), but you won't be disappointed with the CTR, particularly if you're willing to swap out the stock. The only other upgrade you might want is a YoDave trigger spring. For about $10 you can get your trigger pull down to about 2 pounds.

Reactions: Grimaries
So I have a Tikka CTR that I just happened to be shooting this morning. The weak point of the CTR is the stock, which isn't great for precision shooting. I dropped mine into an XLR chassis.

Using some recently purchased Primary Arms 147 gr. ammo (in 6.5 CM) at 300 yards I was getting 1.5" 5 shot groups. This is in good, but not perfect conditions (variable crosswind of between 0-5 mph). Things opened up a little at 400 yards, but conditions also got a little worse. And that's using a 17x scope, which is certainly more than adequate for most applications at 400 yards, but maybe not ideal if the goal is to shoot the smallest groups possible.

Don't have any experience with the Super Varmint and not sure how it differs from the CTR (heavier barrel, different twist rate for lighter bullets?), but you won't be disappointed with the CTR, particularly if you're willing to swap out the stock. The only other upgrade you might want is a YoDave trigger spring. For about $10 you can get your trigger pull down to about 2 pounds.
Thats a lot better than what I’ve been shooting with my hand-me-down rifle! do you know if there is any benefit to the different twist rate? Or what the optimal twist rate is for 6.5 CM?

Looks like CTR and Varmint have the same twist rate - 1:8. From what I know about AR's, best twist rate really depends on how heavy a bullet you plan on shooting. So an AR that will be shooting 77gr. bullets you would probably want a 1:7 twist rate. Lighter bullets like 55gr. will generally do better with 1:8 or even 1:9 twist rate. Assume the same holds true for 6.5CM, although I think 1:8 is probably the most common twist rate for this caliber.

Reactions: Grimaries
Looks like CTR and Varmint have the same twist rate - 1:8. From what I know about AR's, best twist rate really depends on how heavy a bullet you plan on shooting. So an AR that will be shooting 77gr. bullets you would probably want a 1:7 twist rate. Lighter bullets like 55gr. will generally do better with 1:8 or even 1:9 twist rate. Assume the same holds true for 6.5CM, although I think 1:8 is probably the most common twist rate for this caliber
This is very helpful, sounds like a 1:8 twist is what I want, thanks houndog

I have a Tikka Super Varmint in 6.5 Creedmoor.
Love it.
I put it into a GRS Bifrost, and with my handloads, it's very accurate.
The new Cerakote versions are stainless, I believe.
20210513_153844.jpg

Reactions: Gogga
I believe the super varmint will have a thicker barrel profile compared to the CTR. Or did when I owned them.

So if your changing the stock, doing away with the pricey tikka CTR mags. Then super varmint all the way for a range range rifle. If you’re hunting / carrying it the CTR might be worth while.

My CTR used to walk off after shot strings of 10.

I got to handle the new T3x supervarmint today.
Lovely rifle and it is all stainless under the cerakote.

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart