• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3x Superlite SS - weights and setup pics

ghott

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2020
Thought I would share some info I gathered while setting up my first Tikka. Haven't gotten to take this to the range yet, hopefully soon. I'm excited to see how it shoots - I've only heard good things about Tikkas.

No real reason for sharing other than hoping it might help someone searching the forum for info in the future. I know that stuff like this has helped me out many times in the past when searching through the forums.

Trigger spring info:
* This particular T3x Superlite (.270win) came stock (non-adjusted) with a trigger pull weight measured at an average of: 2lbs 7oz
* The Mountain Tactical Spring, with the screw adjusted about halfway in had an average trigger pull weight of: 13.5oz
* ^^^ the MT spring was a little too light for me, so I installed the Elay (eBay) spring w/ screw adjusted about halfway in, it had a pull of: 1lb 6oz
* Both the MT spring and Elay spring passed rigorous bump testing
* All of these were measured with a Wheeler Engineer Trigger tester - average of 3 pulls with a "medium speed" and fluid trigger pull
* The manual calls for 44in-lbs for torquing the action/receiver back into the stock; I used 40-in lbs with a nice bump on the end of the butt stock to make sure the lug was seated properly before fully torquing.

Optics/mounting info:
* I bedded the Murphy rail since it had a gap on the back of between 0.0015" and 0.002" (w/ the front screws lightly snugged down)
* I really like the Murphy rail - it uses two locating dowels that match the holes in the receiver as well as the larger recoil lug that matches the action in the front
* I used 20in-lbs for torquing the rail to the action
* I tried NF Ultralite "Medium" (1.00") rings, but the scope sat a little too high for my liking, so I used NF Ultralite "Low" (0.885") rings instead (pics of both are below)
* I used 65in-lbs for torquing the ring bases (cross bolts) to the rail and 25in-lbs for torquing the top ring halves

Misc stuff:
* The Tikka vertical/pistol grip is a simple/cheap upgrade that I really like...much more comfortable IMO
* The Tikka trigger, even with the stock spring, is fantastic. With the lighter spring - it's mint...honestly the nicest of any of my rifles.
* The Blackhawk Picatinny adapter is a pretty nice piece if you're wanting to mount a bipod with a quick-release picatinny style mount, but don't want to drill another hole in your stock. I'd recommend adding a piece of leather underneath the rubber "gasket" that comes w/ the adapter too

Weights:
Tikka T3x Superlite SS chambered in .270win; 22.4" barrel - 6lbs 0.1oz
Murphy Precision 20MOA Stainless Steel Receiver Length Rail (some epoxy, no mounting screws): 5.7oz
NightForce UltraLite 0.885" 30mm Low Ring Set (4-screw) A118 (with all screws): 3.05oz
Leupold VX6-HD 3-18x50 with Leupold Flip Covers and Battery: 1lb 6.75oz
Blackhawk Swivel Stud Picatinny Rail Adapter: 1.55oz
Atlas BT46-LW17 PSR Bipod (5" to 9") w/ Quick Lever: 13.45oz
Butler Creek Comfort Stretch Sling w/ Swivels: 4.8oz
Rifle weight with everything above plus neoprene stock sleeve and Tikka vertical grip (no ammo), as show in last few pics below: 9lbs 5.05oz

Tikka T3x Superlite SS chambered in .270win:
tikka1.jpg

tikka2.jpg

tikka3.jpg

tikka4.jpg

Trigger spring swap:
tikka5.jpg

tikka6.jpg

Left = Mountain Tactical, Middle = Elay (eBay), Right = Stock:
tikka6-5_mtn-tactical_elay_stock.jpg

Murphy Precision Steel 20MOA Receiver Length Rail:
tikka7.jpg

NightForce UltraLite 0.885" 30mm Low Ring Set (4-screw) A118:
tikka8.jpg

Leupold VX6-HD 3-18x50 with Leupold Flip Covers and Battery:
tikka9.jpg

NightForce UltraLite "Medium" 1.0" Rings:
tikka10_nf1-mid1.jpg

NightForce UltraLite "Medium" 1.0" Rings:
tikka11_nf1-mid2.jpg

NightForce UltraLite "Low" 0.885" Rings:
tikka12_nf2-low1.jpg

NightForce UltraLite "Low" 0.885" Rings:
tikka13_nf2-low2.jpg

Blackhawk Swivel Stud Picatinny Rail Adapter:
tikka15.jpg

Atlas BT46-LW17 PSR Bipod (5" to 9") w/ Quick Lever:
tikka16.jpg

Butler Creek Comfort Stretch Sling w/ Swivels:
tikka17.jpg

Complete setup:
tikka19.jpg

tikka21.jpg

tikka22.jpg

I own 3 Tikka T3’s, .30-06, 7mm-08, and .17 HMR. All are excellent out of the box MOA/Sub MOA tack drivers. I’d own a 4th in .308 if they’d make a stock 16” threaded barrel.
Excellent choice and thanks for posting the details.

Reactions: ghott
My T3x Lite Stainless in .308 had a lot of muzzle jump.
Had barrel threaded for a brake. Recoil much improved.
Also replaced plastic bottom/trigger guard with metal Mountain Tactical to tighten up the action.

Reactions: ghott