• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3x TAC A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor - Change from 24" Steel to 22" Proof Research CF Barrel Suppressed?

WillieFlo

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2012
Houston
For those that have more experience than I with long distance shooting. I have a new T3x Tac A1 that I've just mounted a PA PLx 6-30x56 FFP Apollo ACSS scope on, and am looking to lighten by shorten it by installing a Proof Research 22" Carbon Fiber barrel. My question is if anyone has any experience with going from a 24" to a 22" barrel(suppressed) and have any feedback on.........fps difference at muzzle?.......effective energy beyond 500 yds? drop difference at 1000 yds? Any feedback appreciated, as I've seen alot of mixed & conflicting information on other websites.

Some say there really isn't much of a delta going to a shorter 22" if you suppress it. I'll be shooting 140gr/143 gr Hornady ELD Match/ELD-X Hunter Precision or Norma 140/143 gr Whitetail/Strikebond ammo religiously through this thing. Don't want to lose the effectiveness of the ACSS Apollo reticle with HUGE drop difference, but I would like to shorten/lighten the barrel by 1.5-2 lbs for a better balanced rifle that is a little more compact when hunting. Would like to make up for the suppressor AAC Mk13-SD Ti. Yes, I'm trying to make it a 1,000 yd paper puncher that I can also hunt with.........

Thanks.

Won't be much of a change, certainly to 500 yards. You'll notice more felt recoil due to less weight more than a POI change.

I carry a 26” M24 contour 6.5 man bun for hunting sometimes.
McMillian A5

Not for elk hunts in the CO mountains, but 3-4 miles in for a still hunt on less steep country and its good.

I would say just shoot it and see how it goes, but Im notoriously cheap when it comes to spending a lot of $ just to save a couple lbs.
Work out more. 😁

Considering factory Tikka barrels are typically slow, I'd be surprised if you lost much.

This. My proof carbon barrel was considerably faster than Tikka factory stuff. As already noted the age old rule of thumb will be 25fps per inch lost.

However in my experience I’ve found it to be around 15fps per inch in the Creedmoor from 26” down till around 22-20”. Go below 20” you start to see a little more. Perhaps more inline with the 25fps.

Considering factory Tikka barrels are typically slow, I'd be surprised if you lost much.
Ive heard this repeated and posted a lot, however, when running a chrono on mine a few months back, got the complete opposite results. My T3X CTR was shooting faster than the expected numbers printed on the FGM berger box.

I wonder how many people believe this without ever testing it themselves. Not implying that you are in that group, just dont think its as prevalent or common as everyone keeps making it out to be.

That being said, after my own experience with Proof barrels, I dont know that I'd pay for a prefit CF wrapped one. My proof barrel isnt anything especially, I honestly feel like I got ripped off on the deal.

I'd probably go with a criterion prefit, or one of the many other barrel makers.

In doing some online "research", I've heard this, but noone has produced any actual results from a chrono. If I had one, I'd do a before and after study.

Last edited:
Ive heard this repeated and posted a lot, however, when running a chrono on mine a few months back, got the complete opposite results. My T3X CTR was shooting faster than the expected numbers printed on the FGM berger box.

I wonder how many people believe this without ever testing it themselves. Not implying that you are in that group, just dont think its as prevalent or common as everyone keeps making it out to be.

That being said, after my own experience with Proof barrels, I dont know that I'd pay for a prefit CF wrapped one. My proof barrel isnt anything especially, I honestly feel like I got ripped off on the deal.

I'd probably go with a criterion prefit, or one of the many other barrel makers.

This is interesting. I'll have to check out the Criterion prefit barrels, as I wasn't aware they made one for the Tikka in CF. Thanks.

In doing some online "research", I've heard this, but noone has produced any actual results from a chrono. If I had one, I'd do a before and after study.
You need to up your "research" game. Plenty of chrony data out there.

I appreciate you linking the video. I dont doubt that its possible, just questioning how often it is true and verified with a chrono.

I am genuinely curious to see some data behind how commonly someone gets a "slower barrel", especially since Tikkas come in at least 3 flavors for most popular calibers (16", 24", 20").