• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3X TAC A1

AK49

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2014
I am very surprised that I don't see any posts (at least close to the top) on this rifle... I am considering buying this rifle in 6.5 CM... I haven't found any negatives on this rifle... Seems to be a step ahead of the RPR.. Comments on any experiences good and bad on this platform most appreciated.

I have never heard a single bad thing about the TAC A1 other than the magazines are proprietary and cost a pretty penny (upwards of $100 I believe). Accuracy is supposedly out of this world for a production gun.

I have never heard a single bad thing about the TAC A1 other than the magazines are proprietary and cost a pretty penny (upwards of $100 I believe). Accuracy is supposedly out of this world for a production gun.

10 round Tikka CTR / TAC A1 Magazines are $72.43 or about the same price as AICS 5 round magazines. AICS 10 round magazines are not only more expensive than Tikka CTR mags, they are also 4.64" tall vs Tikka's 3.20" Tall. Original unmodified AICS mags allow a max COAL of 2.880" Tikka CTR mags allow a coal 2.950".....And yes, the same mags that fit the 260 Rem and 308 Win also work for the 6.5 Creedmoor.

https://www.eurooptic.com/S54065122-...azine-260.aspx

Reactions: fx77
It is simply incredible how accurate every A1 I've seen is for a factory gun AT THIS PRICE. The only con in my eyes is weight but that should be obvious to anyone getting into it. I don't really see a reason (outside of weight) to go elsewhere at the price point.

My friend bought one in 260. It is crazy accurate. For $1600 you can even build an action for that. It is an awesome gun. I have shot it several times and nothing
bad at all to say about it.

I purchased a Tikka T3x TAC A1 this past summer. After some time working up a load for it I took it to a 600 yard match. My first 5 shot group measured 2.43 inches... I was happy for my first group. After that wind picked up and my group spread out a bit more horizontally but stayed well under MOA. I have also found that it really likes much of the higher quality Hornady factory loads using the ELD bullets. What I used in my 600 yard match was Lapua 139gr bullets.

I happen to be one that like the Tikka Magazines. The TAC A1 does come with two and when I purchased mine you could send in for one more free. They are small 10 round magazine about half the length of normal 10 round mags.

I have a couple of custom rifles and I enjoy my Tikka as much as I do my customs. It is a lot of rifle for what you pay. I have owned several Tikka's and each of them have been great rifles.

I hope this helps. Personally I would not be afraid to buy a Tikka.

I have a tread with pics at 100 and 200. 300 is next. If you can’t find it pm your number and I will send them!

Reactions: Winkmeister
any suggestion for a good bipod for this rifle.... also how about scope ring suggestions (for kahles 624i scope) ..... and suppressor suggestions

any suggestion for a good bipod for this rifle.... also how about scope ring suggestions (for kahles 624i scope) ..... and suppressor suggestions

The same bipod and scope rings for other rifles also work for this. Same with the suppressor.

Reactions: chrua
Question to anyone who has one of these in hand - can the cheek riser assembly be reversed by simply backing out the screws flipping the plastic piece, and tighten back up? I like the Tikka action and the options on this model, but I am left handed. Seems like it would work nicely for me if the cheek piece could be flipped easily.

Question to anyone who has one of these in hand - can the cheek riser assembly be reversed by simply backing out the screws flipping the plastic piece, and tighten back up? I like the Tikka action and the options on this model, but I am left handed. Seems like it would work nicely for me if the cheek piece could be flipped easily.

It looks like it could be switched... Have you tried shooting a right handed rifle... since there is not a lot of coordination involved, it might be worth a try

It looks like it could be switched... Have you tried shooting a right handed rifle... since there is not a lot of coordination involved, it might be worth a try

Yeah, I have tried shooting righty. It's just verrrrry unnatural feeling and awkward. I have been shooting left handed/eye for the last 41 years, theres a boat load of muscle memory wired into my brain. If I was 20 years younger, It would probably be easier to switch.

Do the Tac A1s have a different contour barrel than the CTRs? Or is it the same barrel?
EDIT: someone just told me they are exactly the same.

Last edited:
I got a Tac A1 in .308 this summer. I am a novice shooter when it comes to long range precision but I was able to print groups under 1 MOA every time. My wife was with me and has considerably less trigger time than me and she also was able to do a 5 shot group under 1moa. The rifle is awesome!

the following weekend I took it to Lewistown PA and was able to get a hit on steel at 1,000 yard on the first round. Up to that point I have never shot anything past 700 yards and I did that only once. The ranges by me are limited to 200 and 300 yards.

I am very impressed by the Tac A1.

I was set on a RPR but ending up ordering a Tac A1 in the eleventh hour Thursday. Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. Ordered a PA Platinum in Deka scope, AD Recon 20 MOA mount, and a Atlas bipod. Hope to be zeroing by Friday. Pretty excited.

Tracking says it will be at the FFL tomorrow. Scope arrived today. Mount will likely, hopefully, arrive late this week or early next week. And I don't have a 34mm ring mount to use while I wait. Bought 80 rounds of various match, hunting, and cheap ammo and I believe they tried to deliver my 200 rounds of Hornaday Match.

My expectations have grown so high I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed regardless of results short of one ragged clover leaf. ;)

Last edited:
Tracking says it will be at the FFL tomorrow. Scope arrived today. Mount will likely, hopefully, arrive late this week or early next week. And I don't have a 34mm ring mount to use while I wait. Bought 80 rounds of various match, hunting, and cheap ammo and I believe they tried to deliver my 200 rounds of Hornaday Match.

My expectations have grown so high I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed regardless of results short of one ragged clover leaf. ;)

I was very pleasantly surprised by the Hornady American Gunner 6.5 ammo in my Tikka CTR. Much more accurate than I expected. Shot 1/2" group in first outing and I hadn't even shot a rifle for 10+ years before that.

0 MOA cant. And yes they can be rebarreled.

PVA has a barrel nut system. Any gunsmith should be able to re-barrel a Tikka. I shot out my 20" 260 and switched to a 23.5" 6.5 medium palma Creedmoor. I also picked up a 20" CTR 6.5 take off that head spaced perfect when I spun it on.

If they would make it in 223, it would save me a lot of time and money on a build ... please ...

forgive a beginner's question but what is the advantage of buying the TAC A1 rather than say, buying a CTR and putting it into a chassis?..

forgive a beginner's question but what is the advantage of buying the TAC A1 rather than say, buying a CTR and putting it into a chassis?..

Not sure. I would guess price. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Received my free mag last week. Starting to hand load. Didn't realize the can o' worms I opened with that endeavor.

The rail is taller than a standard CTR and the triggers are different, but aside from that they are the same.

I spent some time talking to the rifle manager at Beretta at Steel City Precision about a .223 version and he said it wasn't a problem, it will be coming.

Looks like a great value at this price point. I’m an AI guy, but have a buddy that “needs” a new 6.5 Creed and I’m doing my best to talk him into one.

Great question. I’m interested in the opinions of others on this too. My first guess would be individual tastes.

You can get a new 24" CTR 6.5 around $820 from Whittaker. The TAC A1 is on sale at Grab A Gun for $1499 at present. So, price difference is 670. If you can find a similar chassis for under $670 you're better off with the CTR. I don't think I've seen any folding chassis at/under $670. Also, the TAC uses the great feeding CTR magazines whereas other Tikka chassis use AICS mags and don't feed as smoothly.

But, if you didn't like the TAC chassis and wanted an MPA or other, and you are ok with AICS, then you're better off buying a CTR.

Only real differences from the CTR to the TAC are a 2 stage trigger on TAC and the chassis.

@j741 are you saying Tikkas have problems feeeding from AICS mags? Or they don’t it’s just that the CTR mag is like butter? Thanks

Interesting thread!! I just ordered mine this morning from Buds and they met a $1600 price from another source.

I've been shooting a Savage Model 12 in 6BR in factory class 300 and 600 yard bench rest matches and the Tikka T3X in 6.5CM will take it's place. I plan to add an EGW front rest adapter on it, along with my NF 15-55X52 Competition scope. I admit to being pumped.

what do you prefer - Stainless or matte black barrel? is there an advantage using stainless? is it more accurate?..

You can get a new 24" CTR 6.5 around $820 from Whittaker. The TAC A1 is on sale at Grab A Gun for $1499 at present. So, price difference is 670. If you can find a similar chassis for under $670 you're better off with the CTR. I don't think I've seen any folding chassis at/under $670. Also, the TAC uses the great feeding CTR magazines whereas other Tikka chassis use AICS mags and don't feed as smoothly.

But, if you didn't like the TAC chassis and wanted an MPA or other, and you are ok with AICS, then you're better off buying a CTR.

Only real differences from the CTR to the TAC are a 2 stage trigger on TAC and the chassis.

do you not also get 3 magazines with the TAC vs 2 with CTR? that's what, $80-100?

add in the 2-stage trigger (if that's what you want) and price difference drops to less than $500 for the chassis. if a comparable chassis is available for $500 is the question, IMO...

do you not also get 3 magazines with the TAC vs 2 with CTR? that's what, $80-100?

Good point - Through Feb 28 you get a 3rd mag via rebate on the TAC A1. And, my CTR only came with one factory mag. So the TAC A1 has 2 more after the free one via rebate. Guess that make it $160-200 in value/cost.

Reactions: ra2bach

Per Sako, via Beretta, the cheek-piece can be reversed.

Per my dealer, the left-hand Tikka T3x TAC A1 will be available at the end of May (you know how that goes, probably June). I am going to order one. The MSRP price is +100, i.e., $1898. I'm sure street prices will be lower

Good point - Through Feb 28 you get a 3rd mag via rebate on the TAC A1. And, my CTR only came with one factory mag. So the TAC A1 has 2 more after the free one via rebate. Guess that make it $160-200 in value/cost.

I just watched the Mountain Tactical Video unboxing and he shows it comes with TRG-22 muzzle break and QD sling mounts as well as coupon for third magazine. can anyone confirm this?..

so including this maybe muzzle brake and QD mounts (CTR only has only 1 sling mount on foreend and no QD sockets at all), 3 magazines (CTR has one) , 2-stage trigger, and folding chassis with M-LOK rail, the difference in price is close to becoming a wash.

the only issue I'm finding is the 0 MOA rail, which will require a 1-piece scope mount. correct?..

Last edited:
Per Sako, via Beretta, the cheek-piece can be reversed.

Per my dealer, the left-hand Tikka T3x TAC A1 will be available at the end of May (you know how that goes, probably June). I am going to order one. The MSRP price is +100, i.e., $1898. I'm sure street prices will be lower

Luck for the lefties, just in time!! I heard the same thing and ordered one last month. I checked on dates from my vendor, and he says May as well. Can't wait...

I just watched the Mountain Tactical Video and he shows it comes with TRG-22 muzzle break. if this is true then the difference in price is close to becoming a wash.

the only issue I'm finding is the 0 MOA rail, which will require a 1-piece scope mount. correct?..
Well, apparently you can modify one to fit - Tikka Performance 20MOA Rail
Our rails will fit the TAC A1 with modification.

THIS BECOMES A CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE WHEN YOU BEGIN MODIFYING THIS RIFLE.

Best advice: Use Seekins Precision Scope Mount because it clamps directly on.

But you can get Burris Signature XTR rings that have inserts to get you up to 40MOA - https://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/xtr-signature-rings

I'm following this thread but I'm sticking with just my plain CTR as I already have it. I like the TAC A1 but don't need two Tikka 6.5s.

Has anyone that owns one taken the chassis apart? Curious to how sturdy it is. Thanks

Somehow my Tac A1 (308) has a 20' phosphated barrel of TRG-22, not from CTR or other, straigth from the mfg. 22 mm diameter and M18x1 muzzle thread. Shop said it is a mil/le version. Got one magazine with the rifle though..

Has anyone that owns one taken the chassis apart? Curious to how sturdy it is. Thanks

Yes, I have. As soon as I got mine I took it apart to adjust the trigger and check for any foreign objects. It's pretty darn sturdy. Goes back together nice and tight very easily also.

Reactions: rookie7
Somehow my Tac A1 (308) has a 20' phosphated barrel of TRG-22, not from CTR or other, straigth from the mfg. 22 mm diameter and M18x1 muzzle thread. Shop said it is a mil/le version. Got one magazine with the rifle though..

so that's a good thing?..

Has anyone taken the factory rail off their TAC A1 and installed a 20 moa rail? Looking for a specific example. I ran across the Mountain Tactical warning as well and that has me concerned.

While I'm waiting for my rifle delivery, can someone tell me what the max COL is in reference to the magazine that come with the T3X A1?

Thanks,
George

Has anyone taken the factory rail off their TAC A1 and installed a 20 moa rail? Looking for a specific example. I ran across the Mountain Tactical warning as well and that has me concerned.

I'm also wondering about replacing the rail on the TAC A1 - it looks taller than a standard rail, high enough to mate with the rail on the foreend.

I question if you replace with a MTN Tactical or other rail if it will mate without a gap...

Looking at the rail it looks like it would be hard to match up. Mountain Tactical advises against replacing the rail. They suggest using a mount with 20 moa built in.

Which 20 moa mounts are solid that folks are using? My scope has a 34mm tube.

Geissele mounts in 34mm are excellent. For longer scopes , They're excellent. And come in 20moa...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180225-222755.jpg
    Screenshot_20180225-222755.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 98
so that's a good thing?..
I do believe so. When i was at the store and looked both the 50 and 60 cm barrel versions they seemed different. Thus it turned out that is was what it was. It is a tad heavier though.
But I do prefer the TRG barrel. It's the best I could ever get from factory rifle. Test target was 19 mm for 5 shots @100 m. My other Tikka, 300 WM Tactical, it also has a TRG barrel and hovers at 1 MOA @1000 m with good ammo. Works for me.