• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3x upgrades

Adkhunter3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2020
    Earth
    Just put together a semi lightweight (8.3# scoped) tikka t3x 300wm. What upgrades are worth doing? Also been toying with the idea of cutting the barrel down to 20”-22” to make it a bit more maneuverable but I don’t want to neuter a 300wm that kinda defeats the purpose.

Some upgrades offered:
    Bottom metal (I’d go with an aluminum version)
    Recoil lug
    Bolt handle/knob
    Metal magazine
    Stock replacement (manners/ McMillan)

My thoughts are bolt handle/knob just because I don’t like how small the factory one is and possibly bottom metal and mag? Leave the rest factory. New Stock kinda seems like diminishing returns to me because there’s not a big weight savings and won’t be shooting off a bipod.

If it’s a T3X then you already have a steel recoil lug so that’s not needed. As far as bolt handles Sterk is far and away my favorite. In 300 wm I would be looking at new bottom metal/mags just to be able to feed longer COAL. Long action cartridges in Tikkas are a tough go with the factory magazine length depending on what bullets your wanting to shoot. If it’s a factory barrel then it’s a 11 twist so that kinda limits your options to begin with so getting a longer coal may not be a big deal to you.

The factory T3x stocks are actually pretty stiff even though they are are ugly. The vertical grip that comes on the ctr feels pretty decent imo. A worthwhile upgrade for under 25 bucks if you keep the factory stock.

Do you handload? If so, the bottom metal conversion to AICS long action mags is worth it. Mine has that mountain tactical bottom metal, and I needed to mill the front of the trigger and cut a bit off the front of the mags to make them work. I also put the CTR vertical grip on the stock. Eventually I'll replace the barrel with a carbon fiber prefit for faster twist so I can shoot 200-215 grain bullets. AG composites or Mesa precision seem to be the go to for stocks. I don't think bolt handle or recoil lug are really worth it. A muzzle brake is also nice on a winnie

If you just put it together then what does it already have? Or did you just buy a T3 Lite in 300 WM with a 24" barrel?

If so, the Sterk bolt handle is the only thing you've listed that's worthwhile IMO. Find out how it shoots as-is with the COAL that magazine allows. Go from there. Too many take a perfectly fine rifle and immediately turn it into a ship of Theseus.

It is a factory barrel but it’s a 10 twist.
    I put a limbsaver recoil pad on,vertical grip, and I’m going to swap the handle out. Haven’t decided on the bottom metal yet. I do reload yes.

I have the atlasworxs factory bottom metal and a boltknobs.com Ti/carbon handle and knob on my rifle. really like both of them. as for stocks, I currently use both a grs berserk and manners mcs-ehta adjustable. both are very comfortable and work very well for their intended purpose. I can't speak highly enough of the GRS though. they may not be all carbon fiber and new shit, but the ergonomics that they've come up with make the stocks handle amazing and they're super comfortable to shoot.

I'd get an aftermarket stock and have it inlet for the redsnake aics long bottom metal. Will allow you to 3.615 internal mags. Will also get you into the aluminum you're after. It will add at least 6oz over your factory plastic components. This will work with factory stock but requires a lil modification.

☝I am very happy with my GRS Bifrost stock.
    The rifle shot very well in it's factory stock, but the Bifrost is a joy to use.
    Very hard wearing, and so comfortable in every position.
    Money well spent.
    20220101_095537.jpg

Reactions: 86alaskan
    Definitely get a Sterk bolt handle, improves the bolt handling way more than you'd expect.

Otherwise I'd leave everything as standard. Unless you specifically want a different mag for some reason the factory ones work great, I see no reason to change the bottom metal either.

The factory stock with the vertical grip and a cheek riser make a perfect stock for up to 50mm scopes IMO.
    Some people hate the factory stock but I find it to be a perfect fit for me.

Reactions: Charlie112
    Another vote for the Sterk swept bolt handle.

Bar none, the best upgrade for the money on Tikka's. Yes, they're that good, and make the bolt cycling that much smooth(er).
    And easier.
    The added length give more leverage which also makes a huge difference.

It's not possible to overstate how much of an improvement they make.

The swept handle also places it in a position that is much quicker to grab and cycle the bolt.

Reactions: Dobermann
    Is the GRS stock still limiting to Tikka magazines?
    yes and no, you can run the CTR setup, factory single stack, or mine is cut for the CDI AICS DBM. there's plenty of meat to inlet an AICS DBM if needed, and they work just fine. I have 2 other GRS laminate sporter stocks that run the factory DMB flawlessly and the fit is great.

I think all the new Tikka 300 wm are in 1/10 twist. That’s from the European site, US may be different.

I just put a Mountain Tactical Bolt knob/handle on my Tikka varmint and I am very impressed. It required some gun smithing, but it is very nice. Bottom metal in route when it comes off backorder. But I would think most aftermarket knobs would be a big improvement. I am hoping the bottom metal does not require gun smithing but time will tell.

I had a Sako A7 ( think it was called ) in 300WSM that we called the meat tenderizer. I would think that 300 could use a brake, good luck with that lightweight beast.

PB

Sterk knob, waters rifleman is making bottom metal for the MDT 3.56 mags, I've got one on order. Lithgow is looking into it as well. I picked up a red snake bottom metal, haven't installed it yet. My plan was to modify it to use the 3.56 mags that match the tikka action length.