• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3X varmint 223

Pappasniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
AZ
I recently bought a Tikka T3x in 223 and it shoots lights out. We shot some 88 gr ELD's out to 1,300 yards and went 3/5 and basically hit everything inside that with little effort. Tip, if your shooting longer bullets and want to use their single feed bobsled (Mountain Tactical), it works like a champ. But I digress:

I was considering buying the OEM bottom metal to have bottom metal not plastic. As well as upgrading the handle and bolt. Anyone done this and do you have an opinion. I think its "the nice but not necessary" category but with that understood, thoughts?

Merry Christmas Fellas!

PB

Reactions: silentheart
At that point, you should consider just upgrading the whole stock to a chassis system that will accept AICS magazines.

Depending on your COAL you may be able to magazine feed again.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Im not quite ready to bite that bullet. I hear you but I'm on the fence with upgrading as it is now. I have an AICS mag feeding Rem700 5R already and no way could I mag feed my reloads with AICS mags. Thanks

PB

I’d save your money and get a KRG stock to run AICS type mags. I loaded some 75 grain ELD-M’s to and OAL around 2.4”. Plenty of room. I’m running the KRG Whiskey, but the KRG Bravo would perform as well for way less money. That being said. The Whiskey chassis is nice. Stock before bolt handle. The factory stock is the weak link to the Varmint.

08B68362-D4B5-4E29-9709-940FF197D51B.jpeg

Reactions: moosemeat
I recently bought a Tikka T3x in 223 and it shoots lights out. We shot some 88 gr ELD's out to 1,300 yards and went 3/5 and basically hit everything inside that with little effort. Tip, if your shooting longer bullets and want to use their single feed bobsled (Mountain Tactical), it works like a champ. But I digress:

I was considering buying the OEM bottom metal to have bottom metal not plastic. As well as upgrading the handle and bolt. Anyone done this and do you have an opinion. I think its "the nice but not necessary" category but with that understood, thoughts?

Merry Christmas Fellas!

PB
Mountain Tactical has the parts you need to get you through until you decide on a chassis or stock,,,,been there and there parts work fine…

Mountain Tactical mags let you load really long and still fit the factory stock.

P

At that point, you should consider just upgrading the whole stock to a chassis system that will accept AICS magazines.
+1

I'm a huge fan of the Bravo on a budget, great value and just plain works if you don't mind polymer look and feel. I've run the Whiskey-3 for a short while and it's a great chassis, but much pricier. I didn't find it as comfy as it's more chassis than stock. The Bravo feels more like a stock with a metal chassis in it; though it's very light which will affect your shooting unless you weigh it down.

the factory stock is great for hunting as it's light, but overall comfort goes to other options

no difference in accuracy between factory stock and aftermarket

What's wrong with the factory bolt?

The Sterk handle is nice, but I have no issues with the factory bold handle given how easy and smooth the Tikka 70 degree throw is.

Last edited:
I was considering buying the OEM bottom metal to have bottom metal not plastic.
OEM? Not are what you mean there.

Aftermarket Tikka bottom metal: I can recommend Lumley Arms. Bought their artic version for use with gloves: https://lumleyarms.us/bottom-metals-and-trigger-guards/tikka-t3-t3x-arctic-triggerguard

They are very well machined and finished.

They also sell regular versions that mimic the plastic OEM look and are going to sell CTR bm too.

You could also source a CTR OEM bm and shoot with CTR mags too. Not sure of the pros/cons of CTR over AICS in regard to OAL, but they sure are shorter for the same round count.

Well I guess they call it OEM, but I guess your saying its a their version copy cat of the OEM plastic one, correct? Just making sure I understand so I don't fck something up.

PB

I love my 223 T3X Varmint. If it ain't broken don't fix it. Sounds like yours is working excellent. I'd just leave it alone and keep single loading it. I don't see the need to load from a magazine when target shooting long range.

Reactions: silentheart
The 75 ELDM didn't group sub-moa with 1:8 twist...so I too don't see how this is possible.:ROFLMAO:
I don't understand. Factory loaded 75 BTHP and 77 SMK group half MOA through my 1:8" Tikka Varmint. Although I've never tested it past 315 yards.

I don't understand. Factory loaded 75 BTHP and 77 SMK group half MOA through my 1:8" Tikka Varmint. Although I've never tested it past 315 yards.
The ELDM is the ploymer tipped bullet. Different shape, bearing surface and OAL.

Those two bullets you mentioned are much shorter than a 75 eld. A 88 eld is much longer than a 75 eld and would most likely require a 1-7 twist to stabilize in a 223.

Well I guess they call it OEM, but I guess your saying its a their version copy cat of the OEM plastic one, correct? Just making sure I understand so I don't fck something up.

PB
OEM means the original equipment manufacturer. Tikka, to my knowledge, does not make a metal non-CTR bottom metal.

So you’ll be buying an aftermarket bottom metal that’s, uh, made of metal. It’s an OEM-fit, but it’s not OEM. That make sense?

That’s all I was getting at.

Those two bullets you mentioned are much shorter than a 75 eld. A 88 eld is much longer than a 75 eld and would most likely require a 1-7 twist to stabilize in a 223.
Thanks I was unaware of that. What makes the ELDs longer for their weight? Monolithic copper?

Differnt ogive shape. Longer pointy nose. It's still a lead core bullet. Just shaped more like a berger hybrid.
Yeah, the ELDM and Berger 80.5 both are in the range of 2.375 to 2.390 COAL at 'design length'.

Note that Hordady says the 75 tipped ELDM needs "7 twist" on the box...

There seems to be some confusion on this, as its not listed on the website 👀

SporterII, Our load is
24.5 varget. 2.50 long. 2797 fps.

Ma Smith, we shot 80 grain smk out of my 5R rem 700 with much success but the 88 ELD shot weird out of the Remmy. The 88's shot very weird sound through a can with the 5R but rocked with the Tikka.

I have come to believe the twist rate is a guideline not a rule. And I think its based on 1/12 bolt guns and AR15 with 1/7 vs 1/9 twist rates. A guide not a rule.

RMS65, yea we are happy just single feeding the heavies because that bobsled is a dream to feed rounds. 100% effortless.

PB

Reactions: RMS65 and Tx_Aggie
The issue is not 88s in a 1:8t. Very common for them to stabilize around 2700fps, even at sea level. The issue is more that factory Tikka chambers have short throats and the barrels are notoriously slow to begin with, so getting speed out of them can be a challenge.

That said, if they’re working then who cares. Personally I wouldn’t even bother with a KRG or aftermarket chassis unless you wanted to switch to AICS mags. Absolutely no reason to do it otherwise.

For some reason I also thought that CTR stocks could be converted to bottom metal/AICS mags… maybe Mountain Tactical or something? Not sure if the inlet in the factory/plastic Varmint stock is the same.

The issue is not 88s in a 1:8t. Very common for them to stabilize around 2700fps, even at sea level. The issue is more that factory Tikka chambers have short throats and the barrels are notoriously slow to begin with, so getting speed out of them can be a challenge.

That said, if they’re working then who cares. Personally I wouldn’t even bother with a KRG or aftermarket chassis unless you wanted to switch to AICS mags. Absolutely no reason to do it otherwise.

For some reason I also thought that CTR stocks could be converted to bottom metal/AICS mags… maybe Mountain Tactical or something? Not sure if the inlet in the factory/plastic Varmint stock is the same.
Atlasworx makes CTR Inlet to AICS Mag Aluminum Bottom metal.
The plastic bottom metal for the Standard 3 /4 /5 round Front Latch Magazines on the Lite models will not drop into a CTR inlet, There are prongs at the rear of the mag well that interfere with the stock just forward with the trigger.
Found that out the hard way on the girlfriend's CTR Inlet Boyd's stock.

It's all a guide. If your shooting at 5000' you can stabilize shit that I can't at 700'. Same with heat.

I took my daughter out to the range on Christmas Eve Morning.
The Range is 15' Above Sea Level, 22° F Temp, 30.12' Baro = -2850 Feet Density Altitude on the Kestrel.
If you ain't got Twist, don't bother shooting in those conditions.

1672108369459.png

Karen's 6mm CM barreled Tikka shot this 6 shot group with factory 107g Norma Golden Target @ 100 Yards in some soupy mirage.
I might have a shooter of a rifle on my hands...

Last edited:
Reactions: MarshallDodge

Yea, I have no plans to change stocks at this point. Happy with stock, mags and groups. Aint broke.

PB

The issue is not .. a 1:8t. Very common for them to stabilize around 2700fps, even at sea level. The issue is more that factory Tikka chambers have short throats and the barrels are notoriously slow to begin with, so getting speed out of them can be a challenge.
For me, there was no problem seating 75 ELDM in Tikka chamber at 2.39 (design length). The problems is the BOX from Hornady said you need 1:7 twist, and the downrange performance IMHO bears this out. Maybe your rifle likes one better than the other, but AFAIK they should both be capable shooting sub MOA if they are fully stabilized. Keep in mind--Hornady reloading manual-- both bullets run the same load data. This means if you run HPBT and ELDMs in the same load development framwork, you should be getting comparable results. If one is 1/2 moa and the other is struggling to stay under 2 or 3 moa, clearly a problem. Also, its clear the box says "requires 7 twist" (or whatever).

For me, there was no problem seating 75 ELDM in Tikka chamber at 2.39 (design length). The problems is the BOX from Hornady said you need 1:7 twist, and the downrange performance IMHO bears this out. Maybe your rifle likes one better than the other, but AFAIK they should both be capable shooting sub MOA if they are fully stabilized. Keep in mind--Hornady reloading manual-- both bullets run the same load data. This means if you run HPBT and ELDMs in the same load development framwork, you should be getting comparable results. If one is 1/2 moa and the other is struggling to stay under 2 or 3 moa, clearly a problem. Also, its clear the box says "requires 7 twist" (or whatever).
Plenty of manufacturers are very conservative in their suggested requirements. It’s no different than saying Hornady rates their bullets to ~290k RPMs, yet 3000fps in a 1:7t is technically over that limit and it’s done regularly. They are nothing more than guidelines and should be treated as such.

Factory ammunition is a different story… There are a ton of reasons that one bullet might shoot in a specific barrel and another doesn’t. Twist rate/stability is certainly a factor, but so are a whole slew of other things. It’s usually pretty obvious when a bullet is not properly stabilized.

I would generally agree that there are more optimized combinations than 88s or similarly heavy bullets in a 1:8t barrel, but the point is that paper (or in this case, a box) doesn’t always tell the whole story.

I shoot 80gr ELDM bullets out of my Tikka T3x Varmint with the factory 8" Twist barrel at 500 yards. I seat them to 2.390", shoot them at 2760fps, and they shoot sub moa. Bullet box says 7" twist or faster is needed though.

I'm about 460' above sea level, if anyone is wondering.

I’m about 150ft above sea level, my CTR 8” twist runs the Hornardy 75 ELD M 24” barrel at 2735 very stable out to 600, not shot it past there yet, next month maybe. However Gordon’s reloading show it should be stable as well.

Reactions: ma smith
Berger Stability Calculator is a good resource as well, but again should only be used as a guideline. FWIW, 88 ELDs are considered ‘marginally stable’ in a 1:8t with a MV of 2650fps at sea level. Obviously it drops with velocity.

In general though, slightly slow-for-bullet twists will still stabilize them fine, though you may give up a few points in BC.

Seems plenty of guys are having good luck with 80gr+ bullets even in the 1:8 factory barrels.

Waters will be making a tikka bottom metal to use the MDT 3.56 mags, I have one on order. @carbonbased I also sent a query to Lumley and they said they would purchase the MDT mag and see about building a bottom metal for it. Been asking MDT to do this for quite awhile, @MDT_OFFICIAL , looks like Australia will be getting some of my money. :)
My manners with a mini chassis runs great with SA AICS mags.

Took out the Tikka T3x again this weekend and went 5/5 at 1,000 yards and 3/5 at 1,300. Any of you that run electronic DOPE sheet can give me your best guess for the mile with 88g ELD's.

Tikka Tx3varmint 1/8 twist. 23.7 inches barrel. 2970 fps, 8.8 mils at 1,000 yards and 15.0 mils at 1,300 yards. What DOPE do you get for 1760 please sir's. This round is making my Tikka GREAT AGAIN! Happy New Year

PB

so you not being able to get sub moa from hornady could mean youre not a sub moa shooter but blame the ammo instead. did i get that right?
Skippy the Bush Kangaroo?
...check

Cyber ninja avatar? Complete with Black balaclava and Back-mounted Sword?
...check

:ROFLMAO:

wow, your internetz skills are amazing, now show us your sub moa groups, not at 10 yards though.

Waters will be making a tikka bottom metal to use the MDT 3.56 mags, I have one on order. @carbonbased I also sent a query to Lumley and they said they would purchase the MDT mag and see about building a bottom metal for it. Been asking MDT to do this for quite awhile, @MDT_OFFICIAL , looks like Australia will be getting some of my money. :)
My manners with a mini chassis runs great with SA AICS mags.

Bottom metals arn't something we do right now, but that may change in the near future. For right now, the best way to get into the 3.560" magazine (from us) is to pick up one of our Tikka T3/T3X LA chassis systems, as the magazine well is already part of it.

-Anthony

Bottom metals arn't something we do right now, but that may change in the near future. For right now, the best way to get into the 3.560" magazine (from us) is to pick up one of our Tikka T3/T3X LA chassis systems, as the magazine well is already part of it.

-Anthony

Yep, I'll probably get one, but it won't work in my other stocks. :D. So I have one from Waters on order and a red snake that I got last week that I plan to modify to use the 3.56 mags I've already purchased.

Reactions: MDT_OFFICIAL