• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tikka T3X Varmint Scope Mounting Options HELP

quikcolin

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2018
London, Ontario
Hey guys,

First post, but long time viewer of the forum. I was hoping for some advice.

I'm a new shooter and just bought a Tikka T3X Varmint Stainless in .223. I'm going to be mounting either a Vortex Eagle Strike 4-24x50 scope... or buy a new Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 FFP (pretty sure that's there route I'll go - the 4-16).

Why would I abandon the dovetail mount built in and install a picatinny rail system? I was looking at Warne Tikka rings... but thought I would check to see if I should be installing a rail system instead and getting picatinny rings instead?

I would be shooting this rifle mostly between 100-300 yards... occasionally out to 700-800 when at a friends property up north. Do I need a 20 MOA rail, or would just the dovetail rings work?

As you probably noticed, I'm new to shooting and have a loose understanding of my needs.

Thanks in advance,
Colin

Hi Colin, I had a varmint with a rail.
There is no real need for one other than the convenience of mounting as you're not shooting out to need extra MOA for dialing.

I would look at Talley rings also as I have used them and they're great.

Reactions: quikcolin
Unless you need the extra elevation (which you shouldn't) you wont need a rail.
The one piece Talley rings are great.

Thanks very much, guys. Now I need to figure out if I need low, medium or high rings???

I've got to T3 lites (sport weight barrel) both wearing 44mm scopes.
Both have low 30mm Talleys which are 0.500" and have around .200-.250" clearance.

You could probably get away with the extra lows with a 44mm but it may be a squeeze.
Lows for a 44mm scope and Mediums for 50mm is generally the recommended heights.

I've got to T3 lites (sport weight barrel) both wearing 44mm scopes.
Both have low 30mm Talleys which are 0.500" and have around .200-.250" clearance.

You could probably get away with the extra lows with a 44mm but it may be a squeeze.
Lows for a 44mm scope and Mediums for 50mm is generally the recommended heights.

Thanks very much for that insight. I'm really torn on what scope I'm going to mount to this T3x... I have a T1x coming as well. I already own the Vortex Strike Eagle 4-25x50... and I'm planning on buying a new Vortex Diamond Back Tactical 6-24x50.... I'm not sure which scope is going on which rifle. The SFP on the long range rifle... or the FFP? Which gets which? Who knows? Anyways, I'm rambling. It will be 50mm either way. SO sounds like the medium height rings are the way to go. THANKS AGAIN!

Personally, I use rails on everything. Makes it much easier to move scopes around to adjust for eye relief and other factors. The one gun I didn't have a rail on was my 10/22 and I decided to move my scope from the 10/22 (was using a DNZ one-piece mount) to my AR-15, and now I have to go get new rings for the scope moving to my AR-15 and for the 10/22 scope. The rail is just a more versatile/modular system IMHO.

But I agree with others that in general, it's not a major issue to use the dovetails - it just makes things easier with multiple guns and scopes to have a common mounting system IMHO.