• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3X with upgrades vs MPA PMR

Wolftyr

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2019
NE Kansas
I'm looking at getting into my first serious attempt at learning PRS, since my local precision range is setting up their berm at 1345 yards here this fall. I've currently got a .308 Savage that I'm not really happy with, and a Grendel - But I'm looking at adding a 6.5CM to the list and I'd like to go with something I can grow into with my shooting.

My budget tops out at around $2000 (I already have an Athlon Ares ETR so optics aren't part of my budget), so I'm looking at either a rifle I can add a chassis and a few small upgrades to, or go with one of these high end production class geared rifles. I've handled both some Tikka T3x CTR's and another member of my club owns a PMR I've looked over, but I haven't put any rounds through either personally. Question is, would I be better served buying and upgrading the Tikka, or is it worth the extra, say $500, going with a PMR? Here's what I've kind of narrowed it down to.

Tikka T3X 6.5CM - 24" barrel
KRG X-Ray chassis
Swap to a 20 MOA rail

Or

MPA PMR with a 24 or 26" barrel (does the extra 2" make much difference at this length?) and throw the glass and bipod on and hit the bench.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I would go with he PMR. Nothing bad to say against the Tikka for sure, but as much aftermarket as the Tikka has, it is tiny in comparison to the Remington 700 clone market.

And given the option I would go with the 26 inch barrel for most calibers. From a handling stand point you likely won't notice it, but the lower charge weights for the same speed or higher speeds are nice.

I would go with he PMR. Nothing bad to say against the Tikka for sure, but as much aftermarket as the Tikka has, it is tiny in comparison to the Remington 700 clone market.

And given the option I would go with the 26 inch barrel for most calibers. From a handling stand point you likely won't notice it, but the lower charge weights for the same speed or higher speeds are nice.
The Tikka has just as much aftermarket as the Remington 700. Every stock and chassis maker has Tikka inlets. Shouldered prefits are also available for the Tikka. The Remington clones may have more trigger options. That would be about it.

Interested in the same, considering both along with a cheaper custom barreled action in a bravo.

The KRG Midas trigger is on par with at least 75 to 80% of the aftermarket Rem 700 triggers. If you want to spend more money, there is a Bix & Andy available for the Tikka as well.
The aftermarket is increasing all the time for the Tikka, it’ll never be what the aftermarket is for the Remmy and clones, but it doesn’t have to be.
Shoot them both and pick what you like.

I guess my thinking was a little different as far a aftermarket support. If you buy the MPA then decide what ever slick new action comes out looks like what you want you can have it barreled up and put in that chassis. I feel like the 700 platform is just more standardized ( not completely looking at some of the trigger and action compatibility issue that seem to crop up). But if the Tikka tickles your fancy, by all means go that way they are great as well.

Reaching, stock options for tikkas are more limited
No. No they are not. If there are are a few more Remington options, it isn't enough to be relevant.

I have tikkas, remmys, and what guys here consider customs. Lots of everything for each.

Just my two cents but I have built two rifles on Kelbly Atlas actions that are right around your $2000 cap.
One is 6.5 CM with Bartlien barrel in a Greyboe Renegade and the other is a 6.5x47 with Schnieder barrel in a XLR Carbon chassis both with Trigger Tech special triggers.
I also own a Tikka T3 and really like the action and trigger but feel there is no comparison when put up against the Kelbly actions in bolt lift and smoothness.

I am in no way knocking the Tikka just my thoughts and observation of both.

No. No they are not. If there are are a few more Remington options, it isn't enough to be relevant.

I have tikkas, remmys, and what guys here consider customs. Lots of everything for each.
Do foundation, AI, or AG composites offer tikka inlets?

Grayboe is also severely limited.

I see they are more limited they just aren’t
Okay then german gunstocks make tikka only stocks. So remington now has a grand total of 2 makers that dont make a tikka inlet. Who gives a crap. That is irrelevant as there are a hundred other styles to choose from. Good grief. I agreed with you and you still kept on and I bet you will keep on still.

Okay then german gunstocks make tikka only stocks. So remington now has a grand total of 2 makers that dont make a tikka inlet. Who gives a crap. That is irrelevant as there are a hundred other styles to choose from. Good grief. I agreed with you and you still kept on and I bet you will keep on still.

Sorry that I upset you I didn’t realize you were agreeing

To get this thread back on track OP I would personally get the MPA or a Badrock. Something nice about the rifle coming ready to rock with zero user mods and if it’s not working you can address it directly with the manufacturer who built the entire system.

With that said, it’s hard to go wrong with either option so you’re in a great spot!

Thanks for the info guys, I think I'll go with the higher end rifle out the gate. Definitely sounds like I'll forget about the price difference and only remember the extra attention to detail on the PMR or badrocks.

Reactions: Defiance Machine
I just went through what you are asking. I went with 24in ctr 6.5cm ($810). Krg bravo with spigot and Acra upgrades two 10rd mags ($815). I’ll sell the factory btm and mag. The money left over will be for factory ammo. From everything I’ve researched the accuracy is about equal. After I shoot out the barrel I’ll buy a proof prefit.

I’ll report back after my gun gets out of 10 day jail, I hate California laws!!!