• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka Tac A1 has anyone removed one from chassis?

Anchor Zero Six

Problem Solver
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
Corona Komifornia
Very interested in a Tikka Tac A1 primarily for the 2 stage trigger which dosnt seem to be an option for the CTR rifles.

I may end up getting one and liking the stock but curious to know if I decide to change it later on for say an MPA is there anything wonky like a barrel nut on the Tac A1 or is it a straightforward barreled action.

Any info from owners welcome.

A06

Looks like a CTR barreled action dropped into a chassis. My LGS has one in stock if you want me to find out for sure.

Thats what I was thinking as well but couldnt tell for certain with the one I handled.

Go figure the guys at shop wouldnt let me attack it with my set of allen keys lol.

Without being able to remove it kinda looks like had guard is clamped to ba barrel nut like an RPR. That is what raised the question as nothing in TIKKA's literature
mentions this.

While a bummer for changing stocks a barrel nut would be cool as I would mean easy pre fit barrels are not far away.

I have a Tikka Tac A1 which I reviewed here (https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...es/6448410-tikka-t3x-tac-a1-first-impressions). I did take it out of the chassis, and it is a straightforward Tikka barreled action at its core. If I had to guess, I'd say it's the same barreled action as the 24" CTR. Same magazines for sure. There's a barrel nut thingy which goes on the front and attaches to the chassis (and I think the receiver as well), and the forearm fits on to it with two screws. I think any Tikka T3 or T3x barreled action would fit into the chassis (depending on barrel profile fitting through the nut), and you could drop this into any stock inletted for a Tikka T3/T3x.

Reactions: richthe1
Shamir, excellent thanks!

That was what I wondered about was the part which the FF tube attaches being part of the action or the Chassis.

So its confirmed its a T3x with TRG phosphate barrel and unique to T3x 2 stage.

Is it a TRG phosphate barrel? Looked just like my other Tikka factory barrels, but I can't say I compared it really closely. Is there any visible difference? I've never owned a TRG, just lusted after them :).

Honestly dont know what they ened up putting on the US final version. Saw a review from Oz and guy said trg barrels but there were other differences at least with accessories over what we get here. Bipod and hard case and optics packages to name a few.

TRG barrel would be great but not much to complain about with T3 barrels either.

Very interested in a Tikka Tac A1 primarily for the 2 stage trigger which dosnt seem to be an option for the CTR rifles.

I may end up getting one and liking the stock but curious to know if I decide to change it later on for say an MPA is there anything wonky like a barrel nut on the Tac A1 or is it a straightforward barreled action.

Any info from owners welcome.

A06
Did you ever end up trying this? I was looking into trying the same thing for the same reasons you had, I just don’t want to be married to the Tikka chassis if I want to change it down the road.

Spoke extensively with PVA about this and was told that the factory barrel would be trashed. For my purposes I was wanting a switch barrel set up to still be able to use the factory barrel for PRS Production class.

Short answer I never changed the barrel for this reason.

Just listened to the podcast today where Frank discussed the re-barreled Tac A1, impressive improvement.

I think that barrel being trashed is more of an artifact of how the barrel is removed, and also a product of the time consumed doing it. Were I in business pulling Tikka barrels, I'd say the same thing, cut a relief in the OEM barrel just ahead of the action and (easily) pull the barrel with little to no chance of tweaking, marring or otherwise damaging the receiver.

That being said, MHS probably took their time getting the OEM barrel off of Frank's rifle and/or had the set up (Kurt vise attached to a breaker bar and a barrel vice with the appropriate bushings) to pull the barrel without tweaking the action.

There are horror stories about pulling some of the CTR barrels. I just pulled one this past Sunday, and used the process mentioned above. I didn't want the headache, so skipped the "Maybe this one isn't as tight as some" and chucked it up in the lathe and made the relief cut to the OEM barrel. Barrel came off with very little force (in fact, I just used cheap drill press vise with 1000mph tape to protect the surface finish/sides of the action).