• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tikka Tac A1 with Bartlein Gain Twist Barrel

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    I updated my Tikka Tac A1 to a Left Hand Gain Twist barrel from MHSA,

I found the factory Tikka barrel to be great accuracy wise, but slow, the Muzzle Velocity with Prime 260REM Ammo was only 2710fps, super slow by any measure of the speed. So MHSA had Left Hand Gain Twist Barrels in 6.5 on the shelf. 10 days later they had everything ready to roll.

Frank, you mentioned lowering the trigger pull weight but I thought the Yo-Dave spring will not work in the 2-stage trigger found on the TacA1. I would love to lower the pull weight on my 398 TacA1. How do you plan on doing it? Other option is the Timney Trigger I suppose.

I don't think you have to use the Yo Dave spring, I have one in my other Tikka,

But I believe you can adjust them without issue, they still adjust, at least the T3x did, the two stage I have not looked at yet I will soon

I could not tear it down on the range, it has a bunch of extra screws in their chassis so it was not as easy as removing the action screws

Reactions: HoustonB77
    So I just went out and adjusted the trigger, the Yo Dave version is definitely crisper, but I was able to drop the weight down to the minimum.

You have to pull it out of the chassis to get to the screw, then it appears to work the same as the other Tikka Trigger, single screw that turns out until it hit the screw securing the trigger to the action.

It's a bit grainy but better than it was.

Frank,
    Getting ready to rebarrel my t3x 6.5 creedmoor and I've been on the fence about going with a 7.5 twist or 8 twist... Do you think this gain twist barrel would be the best option?
    Mainly only shooting factory 147 eld-m.
    Appreciate the advice!

Thanks for this. I had wondered why my TAC A1's velocity and SD with Prime 130 is relatively poor compared to what I read about that ammunition in other 6.5CM rifles. Your observations about the platform track exactly with my experience; I also find that putting any front load on the magazine will stop the bolt cold.

I put an Elay Precision spring in my MDT-chassised T3X Varmint's single-stage trigger tonight and dropped the weight from minimum 2.5 pounds to a crisp 1.5 pounds (my preference) with the adjustment screw turned in almost to its stop. Planning to replace the TAC A1 spring too; its minimum pull weight is 2 pounds with stock spring.

I have a Yodave kit in my CZ-455 and really like the company, but the Canada-to-US shipping costs are terrible (not Yodave's fault!; one solution is to order multiple kits - shipping price is the same). I read about Elay here on Snipershide. Eight days from order to reception, Washington state to east coast, no shipping charge (mailed in a small padded envelope with two first-class postage stamps).

Has anyone mic'ed the Tikka barrels? Since they are cold hammer forged, I wonder if they are tight near the muzzle end, and that this could effect velocity(?).

I ask, because CZ purposely does this on their barrels, so maybe Sako/Tikka do the same?

My Tikka CTR in 6.5 also has a very slow barrel as well. For example, loading 42 grains of H4350 with a 140grain ELD-M projectile, I'm averaging 2635, which based on my research is pretty slow. I'm excited to shoot this barrel out and replace it with something that will hopefully get me in the 2700+ region.

Thanks for the video Frank!

I replaced my stock T3x TAC A1 trigger spring with one from Elay Precision. The 2-stage TAC trigger is externally identical to the standard single-stage T3X trigger, and the procedure for replacing the spring is likewise identical. On both my rifles (see my earlier entry in this thread), I get a very satisfactory 24-ounce break (my preference) with the adjustment screw turned almost all the way in.

I updated my Tikka Tac A1 to a Left Hand Gain Twist barrel from MHSA,

I found the factory Tikka barrel to be great accuracy wise, but slow, the Muzzle Velocity with Prime 260REM Ammo was only 2710fps, super slow by any measure of the speed. So MHSA had Left Hand Gain Twist Barrels in 6.5 on the shelf. 10 days later they had everything ready to roll.

Frank,
    Converting my 25-06 ( Sako A7) to a 6.5-284 with a Bartlein gain twist barrel change. My findings with Sako MV mirror your findings with the Tikka FYI. You used a left hand 8.25-7.75 gain twist. Now that you have had a chance to evaluate, would you keep your twist parameters as they are or tweak them to be more aggressive? My barrel will be 26” plus range for the new barrel and I intend to use heavy for caliber bullets with Hornady 147 ELDX as an example.