• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka take off barrel

Sykes

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2020
Colorado
Hey guys
I bought a factory tikka varmint 22-250 take off barrel. When I screwed it on my action the markings on the barrel line up at 12 and 6 o'clock rather than 3 and 9 o'clock. I don't have headspace gauges. I bought my action new. Is this normal or do I need to get some guages and check it out?

Thanks

This happened to me as well as long as it headspace’s correctly you’re good to go. The marking are not necessarily timed unless you have a gunsmith install the barrel for you. At least that’s the way I understood it when I asked the same question.

Reactions: YotaEer
I did sent the action off and had a 6 creed barrel fitted to it, the smith said he did not fave the action specifically for this reason, so I could always run pre fits or take offs. I'm sure there is no way to measure it myself ?

I did sent the action off and had a 6 creed barrel fitted to it, the smith said he did not fave the action specifically for this reason, so I could always run pre fits or take offs. I'm sure there is no way to measure it myself ?
You could do what was posted in #2. New brass and scotch tape. But I think you'd be better off taking it to a good trusted smith and having them check the headspace.

Reactions: AllenOne1
New brass as is or FL size it?
Typically, this shadetree method is done with new brass. A gauge is only about $30. I'd buy a go-gauge if I were you, and then use scotch tape to make it a no-go gauge to check headspace (if you didn't want to also buy the no-go gauge).

As an aside, do NOT mix go and no-go gauges between manufacturers. Stick with one manufacturer.

When I get a new caliber barrel, I always get a set of Go/No-Go gauges. But that's just me ... probably overkill, but also probably the safest path. And ... once you have them, you have them "forever".

My go gauge showed up today, bolt closes with no resistance. Put blue painters tape on the guage and the bolt has resistance closing. Looks like I'm good to go.

Thanks for your input guys, now have a forster 22-250 go gauge for sale haha JK