• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka Varmint or ??? In .223

Magstang1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2010
Michigan
Criteria:

Under $1000.
Maximum awesomeness.
.223 Bolt.

This will be a bench gun with something like a fixed 10x on it.

I got to handle a Tikka lite and the action has me hooked. I like the Varmint model with the 8 twist barrel. I reload, and plan on tailoring a load. The drawback is the polymer mag that restricts COAL. I'm shooting paper. Mainly at 200 yards sometimes more.

Before I make a purchase, what say the hide?

Re: Tikka Varmint or ??? In .223

I have been more than pleased with my Tikka.

Shoots way better than my Remington 700 VS, plus the Tikka action is so smooth it almost feels like it was worked over by a smith. The trigger is also much better than the factory one that came in my 700 VS.

The magazine will restrict overall length, but I found that I was able to load rounds longer for my Tikka Tactical .308 magazines than I could load for my Brother's Remington .308 LTR internal magazine.

Thank for the suggestion, but I'm seeing prices in the $1800 range for the Sako. I need to keep this one under a grand.

You won't go wrong with the Tikka T3. I have a sporter weight in .223 and it drives tacks. Paul.
cool.gif

www.boltfluting.com

I have several Tikkas and I have a 223 in a Tikka Tactical version. Very pleased with the rifle for a factory rifle.

Only issues itch Tikkas is lack of aftermarket parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ACC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Huh?

IMG_0774.jpg

John

LOL. Nice reply John ... not sure why people still say there's no aftermarket/upgrades for the T3. Not as prevalent as Rem 700, but everything that's available is top quality, no compromise stuff.

Only change I would say is a need is to swap the recoil pad out for a Limbsaver.

Magstang1: Confidently go for the T3 Varmint. I love my Scout. I'll put it up against my TRG-22 anyday. The OEM trigger is superb. It is maximum awesomeness --

TRG_T3.jpg

I have a Tikka Super Varmint in 223. I love it. Having my time again, Id just go the Stainless Varmint as I never use the set trigger on my rifle after adjusting the standard pull weight down. But the adjustable cheek piece is nice. I do plan on buying a new stock at some stage though, after i finish having my custom build done. I also have a stainless varmint in 7mm mag.

Wasn't trying to say there was absolutely zero aftermarket gear for Tikkas but compared to other rifles such as the 700, there isn't as many options.

They are a good buy in my opinion and that is why I have 6 in the safe.

You can buy any long action tikka magazine and run any coal you want!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ACC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have several Tikkas and I have a 223 in a Tikka Tactical version. Very pleased with the rifle for a factory rifle.

</div></div>

Really? Hmm...well here are some Tikka's sporting "lack of aftermarket parts".

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tgm8YRUJx00"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tgm8YRUJx00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ACC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have several Tikkas and I have a 223 in a Tikka Tactical version. Very pleased with the rifle for a factory rifle.

</div></div>

Really? Hmm...well here are some Tikka's sporting "lack of aftermarket parts".

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tgm8YRUJx00"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tgm8YRUJx00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

Your lack of aftermarket accessories gives me a horn !

What's the big idea flashing all this stuff that will probably take all my money in front of my face and not telling me what it is?

The whiskey 3 chassis is sweeeet. But out of my price range for now. I decided against the tac and super varmint due to the fact that I will probably change the stock in the future.

Tell me more about the bolt knobs. Bolt on, or smith required?

Can I just use a long action mag, or do I need to modify the gun?

The bolt knob and bolt shroud on my Whiskey 3 build is from Hinterland. They are from Australia. They are drop in replacement...no smithing. Can be swapped out in about 30 sec.

The hunting rigs are in B&C stocks with CDI bottom metal and Alpha WSM mags (those are WSM caliber rifles).

My T3 Lite in the video features Roedale Precision bottom metal and AI mag. It also features Roedale bolt and bolt shroud. Again...easy at home swap.

As far as I no there is no one selling long action bottom metal for the Tikka's....yet.

To install the bottom metal is pretty easy. Helps if you have access to a milling machine but can be done with a Dremel.

Go with the Tikka you cant go wrong in the accuracy department anyway.