• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TIKKA vs. AI

zekers7

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2017
Going down the bolt action rabbit hole again.

TIKKA CTR in a CAXEX field chassis or AI AT thumbhole? Looks like the AI will come out about 1lb over the Tikka but also about $1200-1500 more

Another option is just getting a Bergara HMR or HMR PRO for $900/$1600 and playing with that for a while

On another note, this is the second reference in 12 hours I've seen about an “AT thumbhole”. The AW had a thumbhole, the AT was the second generation of AI to NOT have a thumbhole, after the AX. What am I missing?

Going down the bolt action rabbit hole again.

TIKKA CTR in a CAXEX field chassis or AI AT thumbhole? Looks like the AI will come out about 1lb over the Tikka but also about $1200-1500 more

Another option is just getting a Bergara HMR or HMR PRO for $900/$1600 and playing with that for a while
Those two rifles arent remotely comparable. AI is the obvious selection here if you’re restricted to considering only those two options and money is no object.

A more apt comparison would be something like AT vs Sako TRG 22/22A1 (no quick change barrel), DTA SRS, or other prefit/quick change barrel set ups (big horn, etc)

If youre going to spend money make sure you spend it once. That means no Bargera either.

My AT in its various stages of life.

Side note, I have both and love both. There is no comparison between the tikka and AI. Apples and hand grenades worth of difference. Get the AI
20190424_211729.jpg
20191211_214524.jpg
20210902_182938.jpg

Reactions: R-B and 260284
If you can justify the extra $$ get the AI, obviously.

You could also upgrade a few items in your Tikka parts bin and have a badass custom-actioned rifle. Any action from Zermatt/Bighorn or ARC has prefit barrels available, ARC also has their barloc.

I am new to long range shooting and just started shooting sub MOA consistently. So please forgive my ignorance. What does AI do better than Tikka or Sako that justify the premium price? I started with RPR then got into Tikka and I can tell Tikka has smoother action and is built better overall. I have never handled an AI so if someone could share I’d really appreciate it.

I am new to long range shooting and just started shooting sub MOA consistently. So please forgive my ignorance. What does AI do better than Tikka or Sako that justify the premium price? I started with RPR then got into Tikka and I can tell Tikka has smoother action and is built better overall. I have never handled an AI so if someone could share I’d really appreciate it.
Ultra rugged, heavy duty action, some say bomb proof. Never ever had a problem with mine or any of my gay AI friends ever had problems with theirs. Easy to get parts (barrels and accessories). Easy parts compatibility. Good resale value if you into selling stuff. People still get good money on a well used AI. Try that with a custom action rifle.

To add to Bacarrat, sub 45 sec barrel swap capability, an action that will run in just about any conditions, and a bolt stop that won't shear off if u run the bolt hard like tikkas have done to many competitive shooters.

Ultra rugged, heavy duty action, some say bomb proof. Never ever had a problem with mine or any of my gay AI friends ever had problems with theirs. Easy to get parts (barrels and accessories). Easy parts compatibility. Good resale value if you into selling stuff. People still get good money on a well used AI. Try that with a custom action rifle.
Thank you. That is good to hear. It sounds like AI is definitely suited for serious shooters. And it is priced accordingly for sure.

To add to Bacarrat, sub 45 sec barrel swap capability, an action that will run in just about any conditions, and a bolt stop that won't shear off if u run the bolt hard like tikkas have done to many competitive shooters.
Thank you for sharing. I will see if I can find one locally and handle it myself.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Hi,

There are some things that just are not to be compared, lol..

It is like asking which do I get.......The Antonov AN225 or the Kingair 260......They both fly..that is correct; but that is where all comparisons end.

OP..Decide on what your utilization of the rifle will be and pick the one that fits your usage requirements....

Remember; not everything is about pure accuracy. ......I rifle that will not physically function for your intended usage or a rifle that breaks from your intended use is not worth a shit!! Doesn't matter how "accurate" it is.

Accuracy is from boltface forward...
Dependability is from bolt lugs rearward...

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

There are some things that just are not to be compared, lol..

It is like asking which do I get.......The Antonov AN225 or the Kingair 260......They both fly..that is correct; but that is where all comparisons end.

OP..Decide on what your utilization of the rifle will be and pick the one that fits your usage requirements....

Remember; not everything is about pure accuracy. ......I rifle that will not physically function for your intended usage or a rifle that breaks from your intended use is not worth a shit!! Doesn't matter how "accurate" it is.

Accuracy is from boltface forward...
Dependability is from bolt lugs rearward...

Sincerely,
Theis

Says the man who has manufactured a killer dependable rifle system. Take his advice.

Don’t rule out Savage!!! 😁👍

Same quality, fraction of the price!!!!!!

Get the AI. Or try to get hands on one. You’ll truly appreciate the rifle. Buying a tikka or other rifle will only take money away for when you purchase the AI down the road.

I purchased a GAP and dropped in a Cadex chassis. Was a nice gun but sold to fund my AI with some loss. I should have just got the AI from the start. Lost money and there’s no comparison between the two

I did just buy a tikka for my deer rifle tho. Tikka is nice but it’s not AI

Gotta say I think Tikka and Sako are already really nice for a newbie like me. Hopefully I will save enough money down the road for an AI if I see the need.

Reactions: DROWN
tikka vs AI is like an Audi TT vs Bugatti
Now... if we want to discuss the preference of Sako M10 vs AI ASR... This would be an apples to apples in my opinion..

Reactions: Blueoval56
Now... if we want to discuss the preference of Sako M10 vs AI ASR... This would be an apples to apples in my opinion..

Hi,

No it wouldn't, lol...not here in the USA anyways............ever try to get a part for Sako M10?? LOLOLOL
There is ZERO support for the M10 systems in the USA..as in ZERO; the number before 1.

Sincerely,
Theis

There’s several threads regarding the two. I read through every one I could find regarding them before purchasing my first AI. You’d have to look into the differences for yourself and make your own judgment. The barrel availability and aftermarket support for AI I know was better when I bought mine but I’m sure in the last year it may have changed. Both will be just as accurate and likely just as reliable

Guys here own both and could give more insight.

My decision was AI vs MRAD vs DT

I chose AI. Been extremely happy. Bought the AT and now own the AT and AXMC

The price difference can be less as well if you purchase used vs new. Decent amount of AI pop up for sale here as people upgrade and what not. Not many MRADs come for sale here

Now when you step up to the big caliber stuff, you have the usual AI, DT, MRAD type options, and now you have the Hoplite Rifles which will handle stuff from your 6mm rounds to your .375 rounds, at comparable prices to the AXMC, so that's worth looking at IF you were wanting to have the next step up to be able to do the Magnum and Super Magnum stuff.

I need an SUV,

Kia or Porsche, I see a lot more Kia's on the street, I mean luggage capacity is the same, but the Kia is priced right for me...

Asking for a friend, which car is better suited for long distance driving, too and from work hauling the occasional groceries from my King Soopers 2.3 Miles away. I get buy once, cry once, but what am I REALLY GETTING IN RETURN?

but what am I REALLY GETTING IN RETURN?

Bingo. For 95%+ of us, a Tikka will do what we want/need of it, with more than enough accuracy and reliability. Anything above that is more about pride of ownership, just like it is with sports cars, sports bike, the newest phone, whatever. They’ll both get the job done for your average shooter.

To the OP, figure out what your need the rifle to do, then figure out your budget. If you can only afford a Tikka, they’ll shoot lights out and save you several thousand dollars. If you can afford an AI, ain’t nothing wrong with that either, but if YOU can’t shoot, the extra coin you spend for the AI won’t make a difference, LOL.

Reactions: fxdrider
Thank you. That is good to hear. It sounds like AI is definitely suited for serious shooters. And it is priced accordingly for sure.
Accuracy International makes military bolt action rifles that are also sold to commercial customers.

AI has been the sniper rifle manufacturer of choice for the British Army (including the Special Air Service regiment), the Royal Air Force Regiment, and the Royal Marines Commando; as well as numerous police and military forces around the world.

The "professional grade" tagline is stupid when applied to GMC trucks but not to AI.

The only other family of rifles that compares is the Sako TRG and their OEM and aftermarket support is nowhere near as good as AI's.

Reactions: Basher
I need an SUV,

Kia or Porsche, I see a lot more Kia's on the street, I mean luggage capacity is the same, but the Kia is priced right for me...

Asking for a friend, which car is better suited for long distance driving, too and from work hauling the occasional groceries from my King Soopers 2.3 Miles away. I get buy once, cry once, but what am I REALLY GETTING IN RETURN?
The non-poor card