• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka XM bottom metal

K2e2vin

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2014
I remember seeing MDT was releasing a bottom metal for Tikka T3 for their XM-length magazines; when I inquired about it, they said they don't have any plans. Anyone know what happened with that? Any other options out there to run a slightly longer mag?

300wsm. Was looking to run longer bullets/experiment with ~3.1" coal

The stock Tikka long action plastic will hold 2 SAUM's, so expect it could also work for WSM. It can't hold more because they are too fat and the plastic needs to bend to accomodate, which is stiffer near the bottom of the mag.

Hells canyon billet magazines, runs in factory dbm, designed for short mags, 3.3" internal length, holds 3 down. Run one in my 300wsm tikka. 215hyb at 3.130" I believe. Works like a champ!

Reactions: el-rey and 260284
Hells canyon billet magazines, runs in factory dbm, designed for short mags, 3.3" internal length, holds 3 down.

In stock again? I waited forever for those to no avail and finally broke down and got a Vision chassis - running MDT 3.56".

In stock again? I waited forever for those to no avail and finally broke down and got a Vision chassis - running MDT 3.56".
Well not officially I don't think, however I did just get a few in the mail. They're not anodized, but rather cerakote. They should work all the same.

Reactions: Chickentoast
I've asked several times for a LA tikka BM. I'd love to have the option. You'll have to buy a chassis or use the Mountain Tactical or Hells Canyon. I haven't been able to get a hells canyon yet, I have a couple Mountain Tactical. They work on my 7 saum but not as well as I'd like.

I've asked several times for a LA tikka BM. I'd love to have the option. You'll have to buy a chassis or use the Mountain Tactical or Hells Canyon. I haven't been able to get a hells canyon yet, I have a couple Mountain Tactical. They work on my 7 saum but not as well as I'd like.
Not true, red snake tactical makes a long action aics bottom metal. However it does require stock inlet and possibly some slight action modifications. Believe it'll take accurate mags with 3.6" internal.

Not true, red snake tactical makes a long action aics bottom metal. However it does require stock inlet and possibly some slight action modifications. Believe it'll take accurate mags with 3.6" internal.
I've asked MDT for a long action BM, there are are a few that have LA bottom metal for the tikka, but they do not use the MDT 3.56 AICS type magazines which are designed to match the Tikka LA.

Is XM 3.340” or like 3.1”? I’m switching my Tikka over to 300 wsm right now and just plan on running it as a long action using mountain tactical long action magazines

The Mtn Tactical mags did not work for me with a 6.5 Max (SAUM imp) fyi. The rounds would go in fine, but would not feed. The spring is right in the center of the follower and the rounds can tilt quite easily - no bueno for short mags. The stock Tikka mags are better IMHO.

Reactions: Eric_F
Is XM 3.340” or like 3.1”? I’m switching my Tikka over to 300 wsm right now and just plan on running it as a long action using mountain tactical long action magazines
Xm internal magazines are 3.2" and are dbl stack single feed. The mdt 3.56 external mags you allude to are single stack single feed. They're long action mags but for a Tikka or Savage in a mdt or xlr chassis. I have a Tikka xlr element 3.0 that uses these mags. There's never been a dbm designed around them.

I hope one day someone will make a bottom metal for these magazine. I am using an ESS chassis for this reason, but I want to find a traditional stock with bottom metal to support this.
Im surprised nobody has designed one yet. Its the perfect mag for long short mags or X284 cases.

Reactions: K2e2vin
Im surprised nobody has designed one yet. Its the perfect mag for long short mags or X284 cases.
MDT had advertised it so the idea has definitely been brought up. When I asked a couple of mfgs if there was any plans, the answer was "no". It's a shame since many mainstream SA's can feed/eject cartridges longer than what the magazine is capable of. I think XLR makes chassis that use XM mags though, don't quote me though.

Also, not sure if the "XM" length is patented or copyrighted. Only mfgs I've seen that mention XM is Hawkins and Defiance.

The new wood stock has a skeleton that the bottom metal is built into. Seems like it would be pretty easy at this point for MDT to make both a SA and LA bottom metal. I know I'd love to have a LA that uses the MDT 3.56 mags for my 7 saum and 30-06. There's a host of others that could make use of that extra length as well.

The stock Tikka long action plastic will hold 2 SAUM's, so expect it could also work for WSM. It can't hold more because they are too fat and the plastic needs to bend to accomodate, which is stiffer near the bottom of the mag.
That is strange. What markings does your magazine have? Mine will fit 3 in the mag on my 7 saum

That is strange. What markings does your magazine have? Mine will fit 3 in the mag on my 7 saum

I switched to a Vision chassis, so mag is packed with my stocks somewhere. I'm also running a 6.5 Max, not a straight SAUM, although unsure if that's fatter or just improved shoulder angle.

Reactions: Raffy
I finally found one of the bottom metals for the tikka xm, does anyone know the stock inlet for some like an ag/mesa/iota stock? From other country Brownells sites it sound like ctr inlet fits the xm, has anyone tried this?

The 3.56" mags? Yeah, I was actually eyeing that for a 7PRC build.
Yep 3.56 mags, played with a bit, mags are tight in the bottom metal, I'll probably take a fine file to it as the mags won't drop free. Initial install seemed to feed OK, but the waters mags were great right off the bat.

Having the same issue at the moment. Thinking about a hunting rig with a PSE multipurpose stock, already have a Tikka Supervarmint in 6,5x55 i would like to use and then rechamber in 7x57.

PSEMulti-PurposeTikkaT1T3T3X_a16b1220-ea77-4469-8509-5264da856577_600x.jpg

The MDT bm in xm is available in germany. The magazines by MDT are 10 round and awkwardly long. My question is: are there reliable solutions for magazines that sit at least on height of the trigger guard? Like 4-5 rounds that work very well. No need for feeding issues.

Also are there other options for Tikka xm bottom metals? Saw hawkings etc but they seem to work only with Rem clones like Deviance etc.

Cheers

Daniel

Last edited:
Unknown munitions I believe would work, the one for Xlr chassis. I have not tried yet but will in the future. The mdt bottom metal would not work with Hawkins mags as those are too short. The barricade style stop on the mdt xm is very close in height to an xlr chassis I have.

Reactions: DKN83
Having the same issue at the moment. Thinking about a hunting rig with a PSE multipurpose stock, already have a Tikka Supervarmint in 6,5x55 i would like to use and then rechamber in 7x57.

View attachment 8218054

The MDT bm in xm is available in germany. The magazines by MDT are 10 round and awkwardly long. My question is: are there reliable solutions for magazines that sit at least on height of the trigger guard? Like 4-5 rounds that work very well. No need for feeding issues.

Also are there other options for Tikka xm bottom metals? Saw hawkings etc but they seem to work only with Rem clones like Deviance etc.

Cheers

Daniel
You could totally use an aftermarket aluminum Tikka bottom metal and run 5rd Tikka 30-06 mags and have 3.4" magazines.

You could totally use an aftermarket aluminum Tikka bottom metal and run 5rd Tikka 30-06 mags and have 3.4" magazines.
I do run AICS mags for a 30-06 in my 6,5x55 at the moment. A smaller xm Version would be great though.

Cheers

There is one it’s just hard to find for whatever reason at least here in the US. Mdt makes a bottom metal and you use xm pattern magazines which mdt has as well. It fits into a tikka ctr pattern inlet stock, have one in a McMillan long range hunter version. It is a good option for saum, wsm, 6.5x55, or 284 variants.

There is one it’s just hard to find for whatever reason at least here in the US. Mdt makes a bottom metal and you use xm pattern magazines which mdt has as well. It fits into a tikka ctr pattern inlet stock, have one in a McMillan long range hunter version. It is a good option for saum, wsm, 6.5x55, or 284 variants.
Can you take a picture of the bottom metal made by MDT for xm tikka mags?

Here you go, will try a unknown munitions at some point in the future for 3-4 round option.

Attachments

• IMG_2127.jpeg
    IMG_2127.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2123.jpeg
    IMG_2123.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2122.jpeg
    IMG_2122.jpeg
    319.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2125.jpeg
    IMG_2125.jpeg
    423 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2124.jpeg
    IMG_2124.jpeg
    325.1 KB · Views: 49
Found the MDT bm earlier plus the magazine. However, 10 rounds is way too bulky, looking for 3-5 round mags that stay around the bm lengthwise.

Cheers

Found the MDT bm earlier plus the magazine. However, 10 rounds is way too bulky, looking for 3-5 round mags that stay around the bm lengthwise.

Cheers
Talk to Justin at Kinport Peak Rifles in Idaho. He shortens AICS mags all the time, does a very good job of it too.

I can load out to just over 3.25” coal. This is a 284 based cartridge have another different medium action rifle with an Xlr that I do wsm based cartridges in.

No it’s a standard xm magnum magazine have 4-5 of them purchased at different times all feed well. The 284 has a wider body diameter so does well in magnum magazines. That is a bit long of a mag but actually holds 13 though it is a 10 rounder. That’s why I will try either shortening one or the um one I mentioned.

Reactions: DKN83 and Raffy
I didn't think MDT ever made a bottom metal for the Tikka. At least I've never seen one and have asked them to make them as well. @MDT_OFFICIAL

I didn't think MDT ever made a bottom metal for the Tikka. At least I've never seen one and have asked them to make them as well. @MDT_OFFICIAL
They had advertised it but then took it down(it was on their website). I can't find the email, but when I asked about it they either said it was discontinued or they scrapped the idea. I assumed they scrapped the idea due to the XM length being associated with Defiance and there was some sort of legal issue over it.

They had advertised it but then took it down(it was on their website). I can't find the email, but when I asked about it they either said it was discontinued or they scrapped the idea. I assumed they scrapped the idea due to the XM length being associated with Defiance and there was some sort of legal issue over it.

That's a nice looking BM, I'd like it if they made it for the 3.56 mags. Truthfully, the difference between the two is really small.

I think it's been "Out Of Stock" from them for a while(I think last time I checked was like a year ago).