• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time for a new knee pad discussion...

cuz

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2017
Ok, all the previous knee pad talk was old and stale, time for an update.
What are you guys using for knee pads when shooting? Mostly interested in PRS stuff, but I would possibly use them for other action shooting sports if they were suitable for running. Looking for strap on knee pads, not the pants with inserts.

Thanks.

Check out skateboarding kneepads. They are awesome and do not move around.

Reactions: lash
Check out skateboarding kneepads. They are awesome and do not move around.
Pretty much this. Unless you want softer pads and don’t feel the need for hard shell. In that case, things like volleyball pads work really well. There are both Velcro strap types and compression fit types.

Reactions: Ichi
The Arcteryx didn't seem all that special to me, but they do come highly recommended by many.
I ended up taking a chance on a set of 5.11 gel knee pads. Midway was having free shipping, and I'm a sucker for that. We'll see...

I use floorers kneepads. Or carpeters kneepads. Customer (who is a carpet layer) got me a set. No idea of brand or where ro ger from, but they are comfy, and you can stand up and kneel down 20 times in row any they stay put.

Reactions: 308pirate
These will fit under loose fitting jeans/pants.

Pro-X2 Mountain Bike Knee Guards

1695825256604.png

I have some Arc'teryx.

They seem pretty decent, but I honestly don't really use knee pads.

I see no reason not to recommend the Arc'teryx though.

I've tried a few different stand alone knee pads and wasn't much of a fan. They did fantastic protecting my knees, but they just never felt as stable vs without.

I ended up trying the Kuiu Pro Pant which has a thinner, integral knee pad and have loved them. There's enough padding to cushion even course gravel (like K&M is now), but thin enough that I don't feel like I'm sacrificing movement and stability. I know Sitka has a similar option to these as well that quite a few competitors use.

I was always a big fan of Hatch brand knee and elbow pads

Just buy the fake Crye paintball pants on Amazon with integrated knee pads.

They fit the same as the real ones, are lighter weight, have the same adjustments, and hold up to plenty of abuse. And when you do finally wear them out after a couple years, buy another pair for $50.

Queue the bUT tHeY’Re MadE IN ChINa clowns.

Just buy the fake Crye paintball pants on Amazon with integrated knee pads.

They fit the same as the real ones, are lighter weight, have the same adjustments, and hold up to plenty of abuse. And when you do finally wear them out after a couple years, buy another pair for $50.

Queue the bUT tHeY’Re MadE IN ChINa clowns.
bUT tHeY’Re MadE IN ChINa

JK - I have Triple Aught Design Force 10 AC pants and 5.11 pants with integrated knee pad spots. I use the TAD knee armor in both.

I like the 5.11s because they're cheap, comfy, and work well. The TAD pants aren't as comfy, but I like the fact that the knee pads can come out without removing my pants and turning them inside out, like pretty much any "tactical" pants out there other than CRYE IIs. This ought to be a feature for all tactical pants, honestly.

Kings Camo preacher pants (https://www.kingscamo.com/products/xkg-preacher-pant-2-2?variant=40281550028973). I've used them for a year now and they are great. Removable knee pads stay in place, pants are high quality, fit like normal pants. I've used them on just about everything - dirt, star thistle, gravel, concrete, etc. and the knee pads are sufficient. Also good hunting pants.

Honorable mention - Stone Glacier "De Havilland Lite" pants with P12 knee pads (https://www.stoneglacier.com/products/2022-de-havilland-lite-pant?variant=39772312338537). I like these for when it is 90+ degrees out. The knee pads provide great protection, sometimes need to be adjusted though after a few hours.

My experience with the Amazon imitation Crye pants is that they do not fit or function the same as the real thing. I bought a pair a few years ago and they are garbage. Ill-fitting, uncomfortable and the knee pads fall out after a couple hours of use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ichi and lash
coming from an athletic background...I went with these and love them. never slip, never slide.
51ATo05+zRL._AC_SY550._SX._UX._SY._UY_.jpg

Reactions: Ichi and lash
Sitka makes the best integrated pants out there IMO. I have tried a bunch and these are by far the most comfortable, durable and really featured packed. They are expensive ($255) but can be had for 40% off with mil/leo price. I liked them so much i bough 2 more pairs and rotate through them. They are also awesome mountain hunting pants, with reinforcements in the ass and knees so they don't wear out.

For stand alone, the Arcteryx are really hard to beat. Light, easy to use, easy to pack away.

Reactions: Craig Brown
Lots of callus on them knees already?

Sorry bro, couldn't resist.

Nah, just my youth I guess. Haven't really had any issues with my knees in the places I've shot. There's been the very odd time that a knee has been placed on a very inconveniently located piece of brass - but otherwise it hasn't been an issue to date.

I have UF Pro pants with the knee pockets and opted for the soft and had inserts. I’ll run either or, or both in tandem depending on where I am.

Nah, just my youth I guess. Haven't really had any issues with my knees in the places I've shot. There's been the very odd time that a knee has been placed on a very inconveniently located piece of brass - but otherwise it hasn't been an issue to date.
I used to be just like you, shooting wherever, even K&M crushed rock without issue. Then in a period of a year or so two things happened. Twice I caught a piece of pistol brass on the knee that gouged a chunk out of my knee. Right knee both times, and I mean a good chunk. Also, I got older and developed some knee issues. Now I wear knee pads without apology.

Reactions: kthomas
Although I don't shoot comps, my wife and I did a couple of "Appleseed" events a few years ago. After the first one, we got something like these...light and unobtrusive, but definitely helps protect the kneecaps. Good if you want just a "little something".

I used to be just like you, shooting wherever, even K&M crushed rock without issue. Then in a period of a year or so two things happened. Twice I caught a piece of pistol brass on the knee that gouged a chunk out of my knee. Right knee both times, and I mean a good chunk. Also, I got older and developed some knee issues. Now I wear knee pads without apology.

Yeah I feel like I'm going to get there at some point - and I'm glad I have the Arc'teryx knee pads in reserve for when that day comes.

I know it's just a matter of time.

I have some FirstLite Corrugate Foundries that have integrated foam pads and light insulation for cooler weather. The integrated pads are great & the pants are pretty good.

That said, I'll be buying a lighter weight pair w/ integrated/removable knee pads for warm weather from Kuiu or Arc'teryx.

Tangent... My experience w/ Arcteryx products' durability runs the full gamut, ranging from beat-the-ever-living-piss out of a pair of pants that just won't fail, to 2 different Alpha SVs w/ constant seam failures (that spent equal time @ Arcteryx as in actual use). I'm dumb enough to have purchased a 3rd Alpha SV (within 10 years of the first), but Arcteryx CS can go fuck themselves.

Reactions: lash
6 months of the year I’m wearing shorts, so I use mtn bike knee pads. Fairly comfy, work as intended and don’t slide around like knee pads built into long pants do. I’ve been using the same G-form knee pads that are posted up above. So far I have not had any issues with them sliding down either at the range or on my bike.

Recently I switched to Leatt brand MTB knee pads for riding and like how they fit better. The Leatt’s are molded to fit around your knee cap which makes them super comfortable, unlike the G-forms which flat but bend somewhat around the knee cap. Right now the Leatt’s live in my bike pack and the G-forms are in my range bag.

For cool weather I have a pair of Amazon knock-off Crye pants with the built in knee pads. For really cold weather I recently got a pair of Kuiu Guide pants -which don’t have built in knee pads, but as thick as they are I may not need them.

Any issues with these sliding down? Thanks.
Of all the knee pads that I've ever tried they all can slide down unless you have vertical support strings (think of women's lingerie) OR have a horizontal strap that sits above you calf muscle, directly behind your knee cap which those are not comfortable for me after an hr or so.
My G-forms have slid down 1/4" or so on a hot sweaty day but that's it. I used to have Leatt's years ago and those were fine too. Leatt's have way more options from soft pads, to hard plastic pads though. I went G-form because they were cheaper at the time and the material looked to be better at moisture wicking.
During my colder matches I wear Pnuma pants and they have built in, removable knee pad inserts. Absolutely love Pnumas because the waist band has an elastic band built in that gives you flexibility.

Reactions: BLJ and Ichi
I use these no frills Condor ones that are like basic skateboard knee pads. I dig that they’re easy-on-easy-off, I keep them in my pack and only deploy them when I need to (no reason to wear them all day when they’re only needed for a few 90 second stages… especially in the summer heat).

I’m about 220 pounds and use the 5.11 gel ones for PRS. Zero issues with stability so far. That was my concern. The knee pad has a flat cap surface so I didn’t feel like I was rocking when kneeling.

I've found Arc'teryx are more articulated and allow for better movement than standard skater kneepads.

And UF Pro actually sells two different kinds of internal kneepads that allow you to choose one or the other or both depending on what you're doing. what feels and works best, and so on.

Reactions: Craig Brown
These will fit under loose fitting jeans/pants.

Pro-X2 Mountain Bike Knee Guards

View attachment 8236581

I run an older version of these at tactical adventure comps (and at the skate park with my sons):

Same deal - they'll fit under loose-cut pants such as the older Woolrich Tactical stuff. If it's hot enough to wear shorts, then they do a good job of protecting my shins as well. There's nothing special about the performance, but for me it's a good compromise between protection and staying out of the way during movement.