• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time For A New Range Finder... Which one?

NORCAL50

Not a Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2021
California
I would prefer to spend $500.00 or less, but will take suggestions up to $800.00 maximum, and am looking for the cream of the crop in these two price ranges.

Looking for:
  • Something with quick responses all the way out to 2k yards. Targets might include steel targets (2MOA or smaller), big game or terrain.
  • Good warranty/company that will stand behind their product... ESPECIALLY on electronics.
  • Good beam divergence, for intended target sizes.
Things not that important to me:
  • Bluetooth
  • Glass Quality, granted it's not like looking through a dirty windshield.
Was looking at the Vortex 4000 for the awesome range, but not sure how the 2.0x0.1 beam divergence will do. Leica has been on my mind too, but I have no idea why other than people suggested it. So, a why would be helpful. Thanks!

Will be replacing my Kilo 2200 w/out BDX. Doesn't range non reflective targets past 800yd reliably.

Last edited:

Reactions: Army First
When you're talking Bluetooth, are you planning to link it to a Kestrel? If so, make sure the one you decide on is compatible with it. I went with a Sig Kilo2400BDX for that reason.

Did you or are you going to end up replacing your 2700-B?

When you're talking Bluetooth, are you planning to link it to a Kestrel? If so, make sure the one you decide on is compatible with it. I went with a Sig Kilo2400BDX for that reason.
Not necessarily, but if I did get one with bluetooth I will keep that in mind, because I do have plans for a future Kestrel 5700.

Reactions: Cowpokey
Vortex or Leica... I've never had any issues with my Vortex Ranger 1000. Just sucks that a few years after I bought it, then Ranger 1500 came out. Now the Ranger 1800... It's been out a few years, so now I'm scared to buy one, because the Ranger 2000 will probably be out soon. 🤣

Leica 2700B or Sig Kilo3000BDX binoculars. I found the Sigs sub $800 new. And have seen them used in the px around $750. I prefer the Sigs in every way over the Leica's except for weight and size. 2700B should be approx. $450-500 used.

I know this is not what you asked, however I was using a kahles bino range finder (10x42 ?) And a vectronix terrapin (mine) out to 1200y, and they were identical to the metre from 600-1200y.

Doesn't meet your budget, but it's just a reference for you.

Lieca 2700-b or Leupold 2800RX
I have the Lupy 2800 based on recommendations from this guy.

great range finder for my 260 rem It will reliably range everything inside of of its effective range. Once you start getting past 1400 or so it starts getting less reliable. Furthest I’ve got a hit is around 2k and it struggles it get it.

great value for the $375 I paid for it.

not unhappy with my purchase at all. But if you want reliable hits at 2k on a 2 moa plate every time you are going to be in pretty high end

Having owned both the kilo2200mr and 2200bdx, I hands down recommend the razor 4K. Quick readout and accurate ranges well past other rangefinders in its class. Has done me well past a mile on reflective. No regrets in selling the sigs and buying the razor.

I have the Vortex 4000 and this was the 3rd trip to SD and worked great. Could pick up the mounds at well over 1,100 yards even at 105F and terrible mirage.

I have the Lupy 2800 based on recommendations from this guy.

great range finder for my 260 rem It will reliably range everything inside of of its effective range. Once you start getting past 1400 or so it starts getting less reliable. Furthest I’ve got a hit is around 2k and it struggles it get it.

great value for the $375 I paid for it.

not unhappy with my purchase at all. But if you want reliable hits at 2k on a 2 moa plate every time you are going to be in pretty high end
Interesting

maybe I got l got lucky then because my 2800 does 2K quite easily and 2300-2600 is doable if conditions are right.

Interesting

maybe I got l got lucky then because my 2800 does 2K quite easily and 2300-2600 is doable if conditions are right.
Are you hitting off mountain sides?

trees are about all I have to hit off of around here

There was a post a while ago which tested pressure / elevation VS range ability. I am led to believe light (glare ?) Has an effect also.

FFP scope and math?

Without a tripod and maybe cowitnesed on a spotting scope, I don’t know how people make use of these things much past 300yrds

Training1.jpg

and slave labor to walk it out for you it's a win win win you get the distance to your target measured , your kid gets the exercise , and by the days end he will be all tuckered out add a dog shocker and you got entertainment while you wait . day or night rain or shine in any inclement weather .:giggle::giggle:

I've had a good experience with the Vortex razor 4000. The glass is plenty good enough for anything I have used it for. The furthest reading I have gotten from it is 3400 something meters off my tripod, repeatability was real spotty tho, object was a medium sized barn. 2K readings though are reliable and fast. I would buy again for the $410 I paid. Only criticism is that I wish it was easier to change the brightness setting