• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Time for a New Scope - Decision Time

JAS-SH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
Hi All,

My new rifle build arrives today Dec. 24 - Merry Christmas to me!

For this rifle I've narrowed it down to two scope choices ~$2K:

Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 FFP EBR-7C MRAD
Nightforce NX8 - 4-32x50mm F1 Mil-XT MRAD

The Vortex is a more expensive scope but on sale now, so they are only $150 from each other. I've never looked through the Nightforce but I am worried that having only a 50mm objective might put it at a low light disadvantage. Then again it is 10 ounces lighter than the Vortex.

Some input from people that have looked through both would be much appreciated!

What are you using it for?

I like the razor better, but it certainly isn’t optimized for a lightweight hunting rifle.

What are you using it for?

I like the razor better, but it certainly isn’t optimized for a lightweight hunting rifle.
Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. The rifle is a 6mm BadRock with a 26-inch barrel so it's not lightweight. Limited hunting - mostly range use ~ 200 - 600 yards (closest range -45 minutes), occasionally to a 1000 (that range is 2.5-hours away).

Go to Liberty Optics and add the Gen 2 Razor to cart 👍

Between those 2 optics and for mostly range use, I’d go with the Gen 2 Razor without question.

There’s rumblings of a Gen3 coming out shortly. You might consider waiting to see if the new Vortex release adjusts their pricing structure for the Gen 2?

Go to Liberty Optics and add the Gen 2 Razor to cart 👍

Between those 2 optics and for mostly range use, I’d go with the Gen 2 Razor without question.

There’s rumblings of a Gen3 coming out shortly. You might consider waiting to see if the new Vortex release adjusts their pricing structure for the Gen 2?
Thanks! Liberty Optics has the scope on 4-6 week back order 🙁...

I was just browsing through to see if I could find some input on this exact topic. I have several vortex optics and am happy with all of them. But for some reason feel the need for a nightforce. The 30 mm tube is my hold up.

I would steal a scope from another rifle or put something cheap on it for the time being if you can’t wait a couple weeks. Wait until the craziness from SHOT show settles down and then make a decision.

As above it may be worthwhile waiting till shot show, with the Razor Gen 3 and new Burris XTR3 options all but officially announced you should wait a month if at all possible.

Failing that buy something from the PX section, can usually sell again for very little loss if something new comes out.

Anybody hear what the price is gunna be on the new Razor?

You can bet the price point on the G3 will be a good bit higher than what you can get a G2 for, especially from Liberty optics. I’m speculating like everyone else but I’d guess they release in the $2300-2400 range, and they’ll still be impossible to get your hands on.

In regards to nx8 vs razor, the razor smokes the nx8 in every way expect weight (if that matters to you), and *maybe* durability. I’ve owned both and the nx8 glass doesn’t touch the razor. I can see more clarity and definitions on targets at 350 with my razor g2 3-18 than I could with the nx8, let alone my old 4.5-27. I say this as a general vortex hater even. If you’re after lighter weight, the mark 5 hd is way more bang for the buck than the nx8 and more comparable to the razor.

Reactions: Deets
I am in the minority a little, but I think you get more from the Nightforce and the NX8 gives you a great deal of range flexibility. We are also a Vortex dealer, and have found that the LPVOs do extremely well, but not quite as fond of the higher magnifications scopes, compared to other alternatives. That said, if you look at the results of ELR and PRS competition, you will see a Razor here and there, and quite a few ATACRs, but not the NX8, so you probably will not go wrong with the Razor.

But scopes probably the piece of equipment that people have the biggest opinion on.

I think the Razor is the way to go. I like Nightforce scopes but they‘re really overbuilt. That’s great if you‘re a military guy and need it to perform flawlessly no matter how hard it gets beat up, but when you‘re comparing the features and glass quality at a certain price point Nightforce has a hard time competing.

I’m sure others feel differently, but that’s been my experience.

Used Gen 2 Razors will probably be hitting the PX by the end of January if you can wait.

Hi All,

My new rifle build arrives today Dec. 24 - Merry Christmas to me!

For this rifle I've narrowed it down to two scope choices ~$2K:

Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 FFP EBR-7C MRAD
Nightforce NX8 - 4-32x50mm F1 Mil-XT MRAD

The Vortex is a more expensive scope but on sale now, so they are only $150 from each other. I've never looked through the Nightforce but I am worried that having only a 50mm objective might put it at a low light disadvantage. Then again it is 10 ounces lighter than the Vortex.

Some input from people that have looked through both would be much appreciated!
I have a razor had Gen 2 7-c for sale if you’re interested