• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Time for a Tripod

CaptNemo

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2009
    Southern Alabama
    It's time to upgrade from my Garage Sale K-Mart "Focal" brand aluminum tripod from the 1970's ( Don't laugh - it holds my spotting scope and binos off the ground most of the time ). The last match had a reverse roof slope that kicked my ass, I should have had a sling and that may have improved my score by a shot or two.
    I'm thinking about $600 for a budget to get my feet wet and have "A piece of kit that not a piece of shit"
    What should I be looking at ?

Here is what I have and imo it’s the best option for close to 600$. There is a thread on here that has tons of info on the RT90C tripod.

RT90C (Amazon)
    RRS Anvil 30
    @midwestoffroad anvil 30 adaptor

I've bought 2 Gitzos over the last several years and they are legit and in your price range. Just by a Series 3 and it'll have the removable plate to run an anvil 30 or a RRS leveling head. I did a lot of research on photography forums, lots of good info about tripods there.

As said,

I have the No Name with the optional head that is Anvil-30 compatible so can switch from regular single screw photog type interface to Anvil with a push button.

In your price range also.

The RT90c is a great bargain for the money.I allso have the vortek veridian they are equal in every way except the $!

You’ll get alot of recommendations for the RTC 90, and while it is a nice bang for your buck tripod, it’s also made in China. I personally try not to buy from China but to each there own.

I have a night goggles night stalker tripod, they’re an awesome company. I have zero complaints about the product and they’re affordable also. YMMV

You’ll get alot of recommendations for the RTC 90, and while it is a nice bang for your buck tripod, it’s also made in China. I personally try not to buy from China but to each there own.

I have a night goggles night stalker tripod, they’re an awesome company. I have zero complaints about the product and they’re affordable also. YMMV

Isnt two vets also made in China?

RRS or gtfo imo

Inverted legs puts controls closer to you
    2 sections extends faster
    Holds tons of weight and relatively lightweight
    10yr warranty

They have different sized ones to fit whatever budget too. The 362 is dumb tall.

Inverted legs puts controls closer to you
    2 sections extends faster
    Holds tons of weight and relatively lightweight
    10yr warranty

They have different sized ones to fit whatever budget too. The 362 is dumb tall.
    The long reach to the leg adjustments is what steered me to a 4-segment, but the inverted design is a very clever fix for that...

Is the Feisol 3372 or CRETAC 3372 any good? In the market and RRS just isn't in the budget right now. I guess my real question is this. Is the Feisol going to give me $350 worth more of stability versus the Two vets/RT90c?

In my opinion, if lugging around the slightly heavier and bulkier RT90C is not a problem for you, I think you will be more stable with the RT90C for less money than the Feisol. Put the $ difference between them into a midwest anvil adapter and an RRS Anvil 30 and you will be about 95% of the way towards getting a complete RRS solution at about 50% of the cost.

That said, only you can decide what is a good enough $/function trade off for you.