• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time for an ultralight rifle...

V

Vandy321

Sure, I'd love a fieldcraft or havak element, but they don't make a fieldcraft in PRC and the element is near $3k.

Wanting a sub 6lb rifle in 6.5 PRC. Have no desire to pay over 2k for a beater hunting rifle, nor build another custom rifle. Would love a Kimber Mountain Ascent at 5lb bare for $1700 (even with all the negative press on that rifle) but at $1800 for a 300wsm and then a re-barrel, it's out of my price range)

Its down to a Savage 110 ultralight in 6.5 PRC or getting a Tikka T3x superlight in 7mm rem mag and throwing on a pre-fit carbon 6 or proof chambered in PRC.

Not alof of tikka complaints (except the stock), a few complains on the Savage (accutrigger mainly, sloppy bolt as well)

Can get the 110 for $1300 at worst. Or get a T3x and a prefit proof carbon fiber for sub $1400.

For the price, what say the peanut gallery on accuracy between the two? Is a Tikka worth 1400 with a carbon bbl? Can't find a weight on the Tikka barrel, but assuming i throw a 21" proof on a 6lb Tikka, it comes out maybe 1/2lb lighter than the Savage 110 ultralight which is 6lbs?

Seen alot of Tikka's shooting 1/2 moa with factory ammo, and a few Savages doing the same. To be fair. Its a mountain rifle, I'll be happy with sub MOA out to 500.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Boman
Just sighted in my tikka t3x superlite in 7mag. Shot four 1/2 sized groups with factory 162 eldx.

You may opt to rebarrel or update stock, but the gun is a shooter right out of box.

If 6.5prc was dear legal in my country I would build a tikka with a carbon barrel and a carbon stock, or maybe a magnesium chassis. Since its not I plan to build a 284 shehane instead. Yes my country is retarded

Reactions: MateoBx
Anybody happen to know the weight of a standard t3x barrel at 24"? Trying to calculate weight reduction with a 21" carbon wrapped bbl

Perhaps wait and see if next year SIG releases the Cross in .277 SIG Fury?

Proof sendero lite barrel weighs almost exact same as sporter tikka barrel

Reactions: Boman
I have no complaints about my Tikka Ultralite's stock... it's 100% functional in 100% of all situations: bipod, bag, hand, forest, field, whatever. And frankly it's light enough I would never bother attaching a CF barrel to it, but to each their own. The Savage Ultralite is a great gun, but the Savage action compared to the Tikka is like buying a pawn shop beater even if Savage do true the Ultralite's action. Unfortunately, Savage - for that price - only pillar beds the action in its stock to save weight (and cost). To save more cost, they use a plastic stock instead of something CF, as well. Regardless, my neighbor's is about a .7 MOA gun. He has a 30-06 and the kick is well-mannered if you adjust the stock to your liking. My Tikka Ultralite is a 270 and bucks harder than his 30-06 Ultralite Savage for sure. You could just buy a Christensen Arms Ridgeline and be done.

Saw a Savage ultralight in 6.5 prc for sale on Coueswhitetail.com.

Buddy has the .280ai version. Its a good, submoa rifle out of the box with factory ammo. Needs a brake or its really flippy.

I feel like a new stock would be a necessary improvement.

If that is what you want then you should get it I am not so sure I have felt that supposed light weight cheap plastic and I am not a fan it reminds me of a cheap trash can (rubermaid) I was not also a big fan of the feel of metal chassis like my MDT its cold and unspectacular in its appearance or feel that's just my opinion it has grown on me or maybe just because of the cost i changed my mind a little . I still love wood you can shape it mold it to a point its warmer in the hand and at times pleasant in appearance and when you see one that was hand carved by a master wood worker it can be almost breathtaking . But in today's mass produced world that is a dying skill like all skills . Good luck finding what you want and like there are a lot of choices and it can and should all be fun to see what you finally choose .

Last edited:
I have no complaints about my Tikka Ultralite's stock... it's 100% functional in 100% of all situations: bipod, bag, hand, forest, field, whatever. And frankly it's light enough I would never bother attaching a CF barrel to it, but to each their own. The Savage Ultralite is a great gun, but the Savage action compared to the Tikka is like buying a pawn shop beater even if Savage do true the Ultralite's action. Unfortunately, Savage - for that price - only pillar beds the action in its stock to save weight (and cost). To save more cost, they use a plastic stock instead of something CF, as well. Regardless, my neighbor's is about a .7 MOA gun. He has a 30-06 and the kick is well-mannered if you adjust the stock to your liking. My Tikka Ultralite is a 270 and bucks harder than his 30-06 Ultralite Savage for sure. You could just buy a Christensen Arms Ridgeline and be done.
The carbon barrel won't actually save you weight. You can get an ultra light barrel that weighs the same. But the carbon barrel should be stiffer which will make load development easier and has enough meat on the barrel to allow you to run a brake

The new savage accustock is not all plastic and has an aluminum bedding system.

20201024_135022.jpg

I just built a shorty 16.5 in rifle for my son. I had a factory savage 24 inch 6.5CM barrel cut and rethreaded by @toygunner .

Light weight was not a priority on this build. It comes in at 11.4 pounds scoped, suppressed, mag, 5 rounds of 6.5CM and has a stock pack not seen in pic.

20201113_173141.jpg

Factory 129 grain Hornady American Whitetail

Only 2 shot groups because I was running low on ammo

20201111_210839.jpg

20201111_210759.jpg

The form1 can is almost 2lbs if I remember correctly and also has a muzzle brake. So that gets it down to 9lbs scoped, mag and ammo.

With carbon goodies and not counting scope I think it's doable.

Tikkas seem to have a very good reputation as well but I have no experience.

Good luck in your build. This build was assembled and zeroed Wednesday and dropped a buck Saturday.

Reactions: toygunner
Has anyone verified what inside of Savage Ultralight stock looks like?

Some of you crack me up. Umm the bolt is all cluncky and sloppy and..... said in a voice like Mr. Howell.
WTF are you doing with your hunting rigs? They ain't a 16 speed big rig that needs four gear shifts to get across a cross walk!
If you are as bad ass of a shooter you will only have to run the bolt once to eject the shell before getting to the nitty gritty of field dressing.
Sheeesh you girls are too funny.

The carbon barrel won't actually save you weight. You can get an ultra light barrel that weighs the same. But the carbon barrel should be stiffer which will make load development easier and has enough meat on the barrel to allow you to run a brake

Fair point. Personally, no brake for me hunting and the most load development I've done for hunting is making 20 .308 rounds for my CZ 557 that consisted of picking a grain load from the range almost at random and seating the bullet as suggested. Barnes 130 TTSX shoots 1MOA or better and should be as close to 3000 fps as I'll ever need to get out of a 20" barrel which is good enough for if god willing I ever see a g'dam deer.

Some of you crack me up. Umm the bolt is all cluncky and sloppy and..... said in a voice like Mr. Howell.
WTF are you doing with your hunting rigs? They ain't a 16 speed big rig that needs four gear shifts to get across a cross walk!
If you are as bad ass of a shooter you will only have to run the bolt once to eject the shell before getting to the nitty gritty of field dressing.
Sheeesh you girls are too funny.

While I agree that dammit I'd make a gorgeous woman, if I could just master eye shadow and fit my massive nuts n' shlong into lace panties from Victoria's, I have a few Savages and once you operate a Tikka action, Savage quickly falls out of favor. The Tikka action is literally quieter to operate. And if you're like me who prefers not to hike around with a chambered round, that matters. My Savages I'm having to fight it sometimes. With the Tikka... it's butter. Only thing better that I have is my Bergara HMR Pro which chambers a 6.5 CM with a pinky finger compared to my Sav. That said, the Savage safety is much preferred for me. I like me a 3 position tang safety. Quiet, easy, done.

So you walk around all day with a round chambered in a Glock? but you walk into the woods with your hunting rifle unloaded?
SMH!!
Oh Mr. Buck would you be kind as to wait until I pinky fuck a round into the chamber?

While I agree that dammit I'd make a gorgeous woman, if I could just master eye shadow and fit my massive nuts n' shlong into lace panties from Victoria's, I have a few Savages and once you operate a Tikka action, Savage quickly falls out of favor. The Tikka action is literally quieter to operate. And if you're like me who prefers not to hike around with a chambered round, that matters. My Savages I'm having to fight it sometimes. With the Tikka... it's butter. Only thing better that I have is my Bergara HMR Pro which chambers a 6.5 CM with a pinky finger compared to my Sav. That said, the Savage safety is much preferred for me. I like me a 3 position tang safety. Quiet, easy, done.

So you walk around all day with a round chambered in a Glock? but you walk into the woods with your hunting rifle unloaded?
SMH!!
Oh Mr. Buck would you be kind as to wait until I pinky fuck a round into the chamber?

Well, to be clear, the only gun that's ever saved my life was a Beretta and that's what I'll continue carry (chambered). I hate the feel of Glocks. :)

Chambering a round while hunting even in a rush has never been an issue for me and if it is, I wasn't prepared anyway. But I keep the chamber empty because I hunt on public land and if, after a long sit where I'm tired and cranky from not having seen shit, I walk out onto the road and forget to remove the round from the chamber first and the DNR happens by (which has happened to me 4 times already this year), I'm at risk of a serious issue because you cannot have a chambered round or a loaded/installed magazine within 50 yards of any vehicle road in the WMAs here. I choose to reduce that kind of risk. If I was on private land, I'd stuff two bullets in the chamber if I could.

I made a statement and I will stand behind it. You replied to justify your choice. Your reply just begged for me to debunk your choice, so I did. Your latest reply begs for more of the same.
My original post was meant in fun and I can go on jabbing at you for the entertainment.
I really don't care what you choose or how you choose to do it. Either way is fine with me. It was meant in fun and I will let it go at that.

If 6.5prc was dear legal in my country I would build a tikka with a carbon barrel and a carbon stock, or maybe a magnesium chassis. Since its not I plan to build a 284 shehane instead. Yes my country is retarded
Not in NSW there isn’t,they only suggest calibers for ethical hunting.

It is not the Accustock with the aluminum extrusion. It is the Accufit, which is the typical tupperware.
Gotcha

If someone had the means a carbon fiber barrel channel insert would prolly do wonders.

I’ve savaged in the past. Spent 6 months straight hammering game in New Zealand with one.

As a beater backup, or a cheap 6br bench gun sure but no way would I ever use a savage or spend real money on one as a hunting rifle nowadays.

The Stevens 200 were good value. Spending tikka money to get a savage?? All you man.

Stock design suck, ejection sucks, magazine suck, to get it down to 6lbs you got run a pencil barrel and some jenky stock. Barrels are pretty rubbish.

Rechamber a tikka 6.5 creed and go fill an ark. The gun will cycle, fend elements, have a pretty damn good stock, shoot lights out and be something worth building on.

Reactions: 260284
Gotcha

If someone had the means a carbon fiber barrel channel insert would prolly do wonders.

Lipstick on a pig... there are DIY hacks to put in CF arrows in epoxy to stiffen the forearm. Doesn't fix the rest of it.

For your budget buy a Tikka Superlite and throw it in an aftermarket stock. That’s what I did twice now. 300wm and 270. Both will hold .5-.6moa 3 shot groups. Last year the 270 shown below went on a backpack antelope hunt. It got warm and I brought my camp and goat out all at once. I was glad for the light rifle.
39006358-CB4B-4496-8B67-8E15288195DF.jpeg

Light rifles are fairly over rated for most hunts. You go in fairly light. If ur hauling out bones but worrying about a few dozen oz on the weapon platform ur shits backwards.

8-9lbs plus ammo and bipod is a good place to be.

Sure, I'd love a fieldcraft or havak element, but they don't make a fieldcraft in PRC and the element is near $3k.

Wanting a sub 6lb rifle in 6.5 PRC. Have no desire to pay over 2k for a beater hunting rifle, nor build another custom rifle. Would love a Kimber Mountain Ascent at 5lb bare for $1700 (even with all the negative press on that rifle) but at $1800 for a 300wsm and then a re-barrel, it's out of my price range)

Its down to a Savage 110 ultralight in 6.5 PRC or getting a Tikka T3x superlight in 7mm rem mag and throwing on a pre-fit carbon 6 or proof chambered in PRC.

Not alof of tikka complaints (except the stock), a few complains on the Savage (accutrigger mainly, sloppy bolt as well)

Can get the 110 for $1300 at worst. Or get a T3x and a prefit proof carbon fiber for sub $1400.

For the price, what say the peanut gallery on accuracy between the two? Is a Tikka worth 1400 with a carbon bbl? Can't find a weight on the Tikka barrel, but assuming i throw a 21" proof on a 6lb Tikka, it comes out maybe 1/2lb lighter than the Savage 110 ultralight which is 6lbs?

Seen alot of Tikka's shooting 1/2 moa with factory ammo, and a few Savages doing the same. To be fair. Its a mountain rifle, I'll be happy with sub MOA out to 500.
I have the Tikka T3 in .243 and it's a keeper!! One of the best, glass sharp breaking triggers I've ever seen. Great handling, and shoots well under 1 MOA with fairly limited load development!! Only drawback is extra mags cost a fortune!!

I bought my nephew a used Remington model 7 scout rifle in 260 Remington. It weighs a little over 6 lbs.

Get one in 300 wsm and rebarrel it.

Attachments

• 1B1A6664-F662-4AD2-AA8B-FE87D21B1308.png
    1B1A6664-F662-4AD2-AA8B-FE87D21B1308.png
    782.1 KB · Views: 47
@Vandy321 I've been looking at similar rifles lately.

Over the course of the last 18month I bought bits and pieces from the PX and assembled a Bighorn SR3, a PVA chambered 6.5 PRC carbon fiber Proof Research barrel, McMillan Rem Hunter stock in McWoody, Wyatts 6.5PRC extended box, and Hawkins M5 BDL bottom metal. I just grabbed a spare scope off the shelf - an old second focal plane Minox 3-15 x 50mm and Weaver skeletonized "tactical" rings. It shoots amazing. Without a brake I have no issues getting consistent 1/2 MOA groups at 100yds and about 5/8MOA groups at 300yds.

My problem is that it is heavier that I thought it would be. My old tried and true Remington 700 Mountain Rifle weighs 7lbs 2oz fully equipped. This new 6.5PRC weighs 8lbs 5oz. It doesn't seem like much, but when you put on 6-8miles a day up and down western PA hills with the gun in your hands the entire time it gets heavy. This evening I'm probably going to pull the scope/rings/mount off and see what it weights. I know that I could shave some weight by using lighter rings and a lighter scope.

I had the chance to stop at Sportsman's Warehouse today and I handled several guns.
  1. Tikka Superlite in 300win mag and 7mm Rem Mag - nice light weight, heavier bolt lift than my SR3.
  2. Christenson Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC - about the same weight as Tikka, smoother/lighter bolt lift, great feeling trigger (trigger tech?)
  3. Bergara B14 Wilderness Ridge in 6.5 PRC - Nice rifle, smooth action - heavy.
  4. Bergara B14 Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag - slightly lighter than the Wilderness ridge, but still heavy.
  5. Montana Rifle Co X2 in 6.5 PRC - nice light weight, nice trigger, hideous muzzle brake, bolt issues (probably specific to this gun) it had a lot of cock on close compared to my pre-64 Winchesters and FN's, shiny spots in odd places, etc. If it didn't have this weird bolt issue I would have purchased it....in fact, I asked for a steep discount which they denied or I would have bought this one.
  6. Kimber Mountain Assent in .280 Ack Imp - Light weight, smooth action, decent trigger,
Again, realize that for the type of hunting I prefer to do, I want a really light weight gun...if it was just carrying it to a stand to hold on my lap or lean against the blind wall it wouldn't matter to me.

Attachments

• IMG_20201118_115031765.jpg
    IMG_20201118_115031765.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 209
Agreed 100%. After some more reading and reviews, I think I'm going to snag a weatherby Mark V backcountry or backcountry Ti...4.9# for the Ti nd 5.4# in the regular for 1k cheaper. Range reports are saying they're shooting .5moa with factory loads