• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time for an upgrade to my spotter - advice needed

schlaiek

LR noob
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2013
Minneapolis
I'm currently using a Bushnell Legend 15-45 that I'd like to replace.
years ago I bought it because I wanted something with a reticle and it's time for an upgrade

I want something with substantially better resolution/clarity than what I have now. I'd like to be able to see holes at 200 yards at the very least. I'd also like a scope with enough eye relief to accommodate my glasses.

options I'm looking at:
I've thought about buying a 27-60 Razor, but then I'd have to buy another eye piece but then I'm stuck with an immediate add on and then a fixed zoom.
Is the Leupold MK4 enough of an upgrade?
is the Athlon Cronus 7-42 enough of an upgrade?
does Meopta, Kowa, or Swarovski offer a model with an eyepiece? I feel like I'm looking in the right places, but I'm not finding this info.

after I decide on a spotter It'll be time to find a tripod!

The Bushnell LMSS got blown out a few months ago for $400. SF has been using them for years, one hell of a spotter for the money,

as much as I'd like to drop $4k+ on a Hensoldt spotter, I just cannot justify that to myself. I'd like to spend less than that on a spotter + tripod & saddle that can run double duty for spotting & shooting. I expect the tripod & head are going to be well over $1000.

I have the Athlon. It's fairly good for the price. It's not a leupold or high end scopes, but has a reticle, and is clear enough. If I were to upgrade from here, a 15x bino with reticle would be the only thing I'd go for, and seems like I will be waiting a while. Lol

Reactions: 47guy
I Have the Mark 4 and I’ve been happy with it but no doubt they make better options for more money. My mark 4 is plenty clear for my eyes but it seems to lack the ability to see through mirage like some of the other scope I’ve used.

You can get alot of scope for the money by shopping used. There's a mk4 listed in the PX.

I picked up an Optolyth 80mm HD on eBay for 300$.

That Bushy is a great liitle spotter for the money, spotters with reticles, Leupold GR and the mk4 are definitely an upgrade over them. Next step is the Hennie. GR has good glass becuase its lacking the laser coating on the mk4.

so the logical upgrade while retaining the reticle is the Leupold MK4 or all the way up the the Hensoldt.
or, you can skip the reticle and buy a Nightforce, Razor, Kowa, etc? as a guy that hasn't really done PRS, what is more important?
a reticle, or superior resolution?

I know the resolution would be great for static shooting, high power, f-class etc, but I expect I'd miss the reticle if/when I ever get serious about PRS.

I shoot a lot with friends, having the reticle a lot easier to make calls for them. At matches watching others shoot or ro'ing. As for resolution, the only scope that stood put above the rest was the Hennie 45. Most are pleasantly surprised when they use my mk4 which I have had since 2012, the GR with reticle is a good option

so the logical upgrade while retaining the reticle is the Leupold MK4 or all the way up the the Hensoldt.
or, you can skip the reticle and buy a Nightforce, Razor, Kowa, etc? as a guy that hasn't really done PRS, what is more important?
a reticle, or superior resolution?

I know the resolution would be great for static shooting, high power, f-class etc, but I expect I'd miss the reticle if/when I ever get serious about PRS.

I have asked this question a lot... there's not much between the MK4 and the Hensoldt for a reasonably compact/weighted spotter with a useful reticle.
If you are shooting steel or any type of PRS stuff the reticle is 100% necessary imho. "We aren't bird watching" - Frank

Vortex has the Viper HD with a reticle eye-piece now which you might want to look into, not sure how the class compares to the MK4. And this is something I would like to know, but for what seems to be a similar price range I would rather have a MK4 if the glass is close, for how compact the MK4 is.

Vortex makes 2 spotters that have removable eyepieces, and can be equipped with a reticle eyepiece. Both the Viper, and the Razor. There's a thread in the "observation devices" subforum with info.

Burris makes a good spotter that has a removable eyepiece. It can also be equipped with a reticle eyepiece.

Optolyth does as well. My TBG80 makes spotting 6.5mm holes on paper @ 500 yards effortless. And that's with the 30x reticle eyepiece.

The Vortex Viper has decent glass. The Vortex Razor HD and Burris signature HD both have very good glass. The Optolyth has glass comparable to Kowas Prominar scopes.

All of those give you the option to swap back and forth between a fixed reticle eyepiece, and a variable in the 20-60x range. I prefer these types of spotters, the interchangeable eyepieces allow alot of options.

Last edited: