• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Time for another build!!

wjwill

Off road Junkie
Minuteman
Supporter+
Nov 28, 2007
East KY and Georgia
The last rifle I had built by Roscoe hit targets like sharks with laser beams, unreal accuracy. So I am gearing up to have him build me another custom, but this one will be a 260.

Here is the layout of what I am wanting to do.

I want it to be a switch barrel set-up based on a Remington long action. Both calibers used will be a 260 and 300wm just like the U.S. Army's M24 rifle. I know the Army's M24 uses the 308 and 300wm, but I am wanting to change it up to the 260 for out to 1k yards and the 300wm for beyond 1k.

How hard would it be to have this kind of set up?

Thanks, Wesley

Re: Time for another build!!

Just need 2 bolts, 1 with a mag bolt face and 1 with a standard. Then have William do his magic on two barrels. You will need a vise and action wrench to swap, but other than that, should be very doable. I am assuming you will use detachable magazine bottom metal, as you will need to have a different magazine for each caliber for reliable feeding. If not using DBM, then it might get tricky to feed both from a blind internal box mag, but would likely still be doable

Good luck with it Wes

DD

If starting from scratch use my signature receiver, it's cheaper in the long run. Surgeon DBM for 300WM will work but, you'll have to tweak the feed lips on some of the mags for the 260 to run, same as you'd do for a 30-06 DBM rifle. I can order two bolts with the receiver and it'll look same/same when all together, both calibers. The pinned recoil lug will make it very easy to switch between barrels.

BTW, the 260 with 139-140's flys like the 300WM with 190's. Might be the same dope as well.

Hell yes, we are going to do this from scratch and will be starting this project sometime after the first of the year. Going to be just like the other rifle Roscoe, you do this for a living, so I am not one to argue with your advise and suggestions. What you say is what goes. All I know is I want the swap barrel set up with those 2 calibers and the rest up up to you.

I am sitting here with a grin from ear to ear just at the thought of this set up.

Wesley

Wesley,

Don't know if this will help save you some money or not (barrel swap), but William built me a 260 that was shooting pretty straight at 13k the other day with 139 scenars (55.5 mins). Very little difference in dope compared to my 300wsm with 190's, but the 300 does hit a little harder so I can understand wanting both.

Nathan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N8Lusk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">William built me a 260 that was shooting pretty straight at 13k the other day with 139 scenars (55.5 mins). </div></div>

I'm sure thats a record of some sort, 13,000 yards
wink.gif

1.3K or 1,300 yards is pretty good. Glad it's working out for you. That 260 is one hell of a round, I sure like mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N8Lusk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wesley,

Don't know if this will help save you some money or not (barrel swap), but William built me a 260 that was shooting pretty straight at 13k the other day with 139 scenars (55.5 mins). Very little difference in dope compared to my 300wsm with 190's, but the 300 does hit a little harder so I can understand wanting both.

Nathan </div></div>

Yeah, I want the 300wm for hunting large game at longer distances. I plan to use the 260 barrel strictly for matches.