• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Time for new huntin' duds

A&8's

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • As the title states, I'm (over) due for new hunting clothes, as my current ones are, well, just old and heavy. Currently wearing 1992 model original mossyoak tree stand pattern made by Skyline and they are reversible with winter print on the inside. Being reversible, they are heavy and being made in the early 90's they are, well, heavy. I'm, obviously, not the guy who buys the latest and greatest thing each year, trying to be 'in vogue' at deer camp. If I was, I wouldn't still be wearing nearly 30 year old huntin' clothes. And I'm not the guy who has a set for deer, another for coyotes, another for xxxx. One and done. camo is camo. The critters I hunt don't give a shit about the new kewl camo pattern. That being said, I want the new ones to last. At 49 years old, possibly be the last set I buy.

I typically just hunt whitetail and coyotes. However, this fall I'm going elk hunting in Colorado. And hopefully after I retire in a couple years, I'll be hunting more western states for antelope, muley's and if I win the lottery, brown bear in Alaska. But, I'll deal with the Ak bear if that time ever gets here.

What are some of the hunting clothes ya'll like. Keep in mind, I'd like durable and light(er). I know those 2 generally don't go hand in hand, but this is 2020 and the materials out there today and a hell of a lot lighter than they were back in the day. Of course, I layer clothes appropriately. So, mainly looking for outer layers. I know merino wool is the cat's ass (well, sheep's ass) and I'm not opposed to that.

I have some Kuiu, some Sitka (a hat, not much), Swazi, some German stuff (Blaser, Harkila, Merkel), some wool, and some mountaineering and military clothing.

I don't know anything that will work for everything you are hunting.

You probably need the following:

1. A water barrier shell (Gore-Tex 3 layer, Schoeller, Toray or other), unless you live someplace really wet you probably only need the jacket.

2. Insulation pieces (down, heavy duty fleece, wool, primealoft, or some other insulation) jacket unless you live someplace really cold.

3. Hunting pants. I live in New Mexico, but am hunting Wyoming this year and maybe other states if I draw a hunt. I don't want insulated hunting pants, I have insulation pants for cold days or glassing, but they stay in the backpack.

4. Base layer. I wear a wool base layer on cool to cold days and a cotton base layer on hot days. I have long underwear pants, but only wear them on really cold days.

5. The mid-layer. This can be a simple 100-200 gram fleece jacket, or wool.

If you are a camo guy, then buy camo. If you want solid colors most companies have that too. I have started switching to solid colors. That way I can use them year round without looking like a camo commercial.

Other thoughts.

I For the water barrier shell and the insulation pieces I want a way to dump heat. My insulated hunting pants have zips that open down the side of the legs and mesh. My jackets have the same in the arm pits. I consider this to be very necessary.

There are so many companies, but here are the ones I like the best in no particular order.

Kuiu (cheaper high end pieces using Toray fabric) weird fit in the pants, but love everything else. $$-$$$
    Sikta (massively expensive) but high quality uses Gore Tex Windstopper fabrics and Gore insulation as they are owned by Gore $$$-$$$$
    Kryptek (many different lines to choose from) top end uses Scholler fabric from Switzerland. $-$$$$
    Swazi (New Zealand company, cheap shipping and huge discounts by not paying their taxes) $-$$$$
    Browning (a variety of good lines, that handle many hunts, Cotton to Goretex and Windstopper) $-$$$
    Harikla (Swedish company, very expensive) $$$-$$$$$

Those are the ones I use.

Last edited:
    If you buy from Filson you need to try on every single piece before you pay for it. They have really weird sizing.

I have Kuiu Attack pants and Guide Jacket. Both have held up well over the years. I hunt Illinois from October through February in these along with layers and Colorado and Montana too. I have several clothing pieces from them, been happy with everything.

Reactions: A&8's
    Second the Kuiu - they're tougher than they first appear. At this point in my life I really appreciate the ones with padded knees!

Fortunately hunting gear has finally started to catch up with the technology of clothing for other outdoor pursuits so most of what is out there now will be a big upgrade from your 90s stuff. The Kuius may be the last pants I buy - hopefully I wear them out. I don't wear camo on the street so they only get worn on trips which are not as frequent as I'd like.

Most base and mid layers I use are not hunting specific and don't really need to be.

I've never been in a situation where I felt the wrong camo or lack of camo was a problem. For rain gear I bring my Simms fly fishing jacket - its 2 tone green and works great - bombproof in heavy rain.

Last edited:
    A&8's, don't just buy Kuiu willy nilly. They have sales, and discount items in their online shop all the time. I have ordered things from them and then have had them post a sale a week later including the same item.

A&8's, don't just buy Kuiu willy nilly. They have sales, and discount items in their online shop all the time. I have ordered things from them and then have had them post a sale a week later including the same item.

Yes - they have an outlet on their website that often has great deals. Next to nothing there now but keep watching if you're not in a hurry.

Yes, their close out items in the outlet can have really smoking deals. I bought a pair of Yukon pants for $120, a big puffy non down park for $140, and a pair of Scarpas for $180. Probably saved 50-60% on their normal pricing. All of it is still going strong.

The only down side to Kuiu is that none of it is fire resistant.

I bought their Kenai puffy years ago for full price. Went on sale a few days later, KUIU actually contacted me and said they were giving me the sale price. Pretty good customer service I'd say. I have quite a bit of kuiu stuff and that's the only time I've even had to deal with their customer service

I made my own REDNECK style.....DIRT NAP HUNT GEAR..... Lead Poisoning addition...... hahahahahaha :cool:

Attachments

• DSC02257.JPG
      DSC02257.JPG
      598.5 KB · Views: 84
    Reactions: HeavyAssault
    I don’t think I saw anyone post, but I really like Firstlite...... they’re merino wool base layers are amazing.... depending on if you are moving or stationary really is the deciding factors in what to get..... I mainly tree stand hunt in upstate Ny and with the proper layering, I wear the sanctuary and love it, keeps me plenty warm, but I don’t want to be stalking in it as you will overheat really quick. For functionality, I really like what Sitka does with their products. I have almost every piece in their Elevated II line for whitetail as well as a ton of Firstlite clothing.... I honestly wish you could merge the Firstlite items with the Sitka functionality and I’d be all set for anything, but I would at a minimum, would start with Firstlite base layers

Reactions: BLKWLFK9 and A&8's
    I will say Filson is good stuff. If you are hunting the west in serious fashion, the weight, bulk are likely not be your friend. Hunts here tend (read, my hunts that are successful or get into a lot of animals) to be quite aerobic so light weight is good. warmer layers (again light in weight) in your pack is a good idea.

One is base layers. I use wool. I never wear anything else for hunting now. I have used Patagonia Capilene in the past and use them a lot for other active pursuits still. I have differing weights of base layers depending on temps, this includes wool boxer briefs and light weight t-shirts. I have Icebreaker, Voormi, Firstlight, 33 degrees, and other wool goods. All works. I prefer 100% or very high wool. If too much Nylon it stinks like nylon base layers pretty quick.

On the bottoms I use long johns if cold and just soft shell pants (I like the KUIU with knee pads). I carry water proof pants always and maybe insulating pants for extended glassing, If it is nasty cold out. I also wear goretex gators all day, from start to finish. stepped in a meadow too many times and sunk into water and mud and been unhappy. Easy fix.

On top I wear either a wool or fleece mid layer and then a soft shell. I carry a waterproof shell always. and always some form of a down jacket. Usually a lightweight one.

I usually wear a ball hat. I carry a beanie, wool or fleece. I like the Voormi wool ones.

In my pack here in CO where I tend to go 8-15 miles a day of hard hiking, I carry 1 spare pair socks, 1 light windproof glove (usually worn as I hunt cold seasons). The gloves are enough when moving. I carry a pair of warm mittens (think OR brand mountaineering mittens).

Clothing in my pack is: waterproof layer, down, mittens, spare socks. Keep Beanie in my pants pocket in case I get cold when glassing. dont like to mess with. my pack much.

Couple other thoughts of hunting out west where its easy to be 6+ miles from anywhere by 0900. and get hurt there at 1630 (sunset) if you were hot on a stalk.

I carry a small kit that is my "Oh shit kit" of goods to survive a night or two in the woods. Reflective bivy sack (I like the SOS brand ones), fire starter (several ways and assistive "tools", a Leatherman, and Pcord.

I also carry a decent but paired down IFAK. weighs little.

If you anticipate crappy weather, think about an UL tarp. They are great to use to hide under in rain to glass or take a break. Also if you need to spend the night out. Kifaru makes the Sheep tarp. Several others including RAB gear make one for cheaper but not as nice. Also check out Mountain Laurel Designs tarps. You can also make your own pretty easy if you know how to sew and are handy with a grommet maker.

Reactions: A&8's and pmclaine
    I wouldn't own anything with the words Filson on it. Their sizing is weird, they are super expensive for what they offer, and they are heavy and loud. I don't drive a 1800's era horse and buggy to work, not do I hunt with an 1886 Winchester in 33 WCF. Filson sucks!

First Lite makes good stuff. So do 30 other companies. I tend to stick with mountaineering type hunting gear. As most of my hunts swing that way.

I wouldn't own anything with the words Filson on it. Their sizing is weird, they are super expensive for what they offer, and they are heavy and loud. I don't drive a 1800's era horse and buggy to work, not do I hunt with an 1886 Winchester in 33 WCF. Filson sucks!

First Lite makes good stuff. So do 30 other companies. I tend to stick with mountaineering type hunting gear. As most of my hunts swing that way.

All kinds of "absolutist" silliness here.

If Filson does not work for you do not wear it.

If only technology gets your interest go with technology.

I don't own a piece of synthetic gear that has been used that doesn't have the dead bacteria decomposition smell.

Shit I have one particular Under Armor workout Tshirt that is twenty years old and has been worn close to once a week, in rotation with a bunch of other similarly aged UA workout gear, that almost gags me when I don it but its great at keeping people the fuck away from me at the gym.

Guessing it would do the same for an Elk or deer except in miles not feet.

Wool is in no way noisy and even wet will hold in warmth.

It has its appeal to some in humid cold climates. Maybe not as important in dry cold areas but it wont hinder you any either.

It can be heavy though and that would be a legitimate consideration much more sensible than the entire line sucks and it doesn't fit me.

Regards cost.......don't see any gear worth mentioning that doesn't fall within a sawbuck or two of an as equal alternative.

Quality is expensive. Probably even more so for the synthetic item that started as a recycled bottle rather than a raw material sheered from an animal and loomed into a virgin product.

The latest doctrine in cold weather gear seems to be "accept the wet" and make it out of thin enough fabrics that your own body heat will dry it. A number of layers are required to make this work. Synthetics make up most of it as they can be the fastest at drying.

Its not a bad concept, guessing you have to ensure whatever "system" you use the layers complement each other in order to enhance performance not work against each other.

Last edited:
    I'm in the market as well. I've been looking at first lite because of all the offerings for merino wool, and the prices don't look too outrageous. Really lightweight and packable.

I'm like you and using heavy clothes from the 90's (old stuff my dad gave me years ago) and it's time for some lighter weight, better insulating clothing. I think wool will fit the bill nicely.

I don't have a problem with their wool. I killed an Aoudad ram in West Texas on Saturday morning wearing my Duofold Wool long sleeve thermal shirt that I bought in the PX in Camp Darby Italy in 1997. Most of what I own from First Lite is wool.

I think First Lite and other wool companies (hell I own wool from Kuiu) make a better product.

The tin-cloth stuff is not for me. If you like smelling like an oil wick by all means.

I don't have a problem with their wool. I killed an Aoudad ram in West Texas on Saturday morning wearing my Duofold Wool long sleeve thermal shirt that I bought in the PX in Camp Darby Italy in 1997. Most of what I own from First Lite is wool.

I think First Lite and other wool companies (hell I own wool from Kuiu) make a better product.

The tin-cloth stuff is not for me. If you like smelling like an oil wick by all means.

I like the idea of the tin cloth shit but I fear Id be breaking out in zits wearing it.

Reminds me of fishing gear which "Oil skins" originally were.

Moby Dick days the crewman that had to do the most cutting would clothe himself in the skin of the whale penis....chop the dick off, cut some arm holes, a head hole, don, go to work"

These guys make some wool that would probably challenge Filson.....

The made in the USA thing is important to me. Id pay extra for that.

I had my come to Jesus moment with wool only within the last 5 years or so.

Perhaps as I continue to age I will soon be wearing Mr Rodgers cardigan. As a kid I hated anything wool as I considered it too scratchy to wear. Now I love the shit.

First light merino base is where it's at. I have most all of the sitka and Kuiu base layers and first light is what I wear for base now. I ended up donating most of my kuiu base and mid layers to guys I hunt with. I love the kuiu pants. Hands down the attack pants take it. The guides are nice too. The guide jacket was one of my favorites but when I needed another color years later they had changed their sizes for the current offerings. Over a year ago they were slightly longer and had more room. The new ones are shorter and tighter. Had some conversations with them about this and that was a sizing change. Yet they have no mention of it on the site. So the new ones dont fit me how the old ones do. If you long athletic type, they dont cover your belt line really anymore. Same with the new Katana line.

The Kuiu and FL down puff coats are not as nice as the sitka offerings. The Apex hoodie for bow hunting is awesome. The Core Heavyweight Hoody is a nice piece. The FL Kiln hoody is really nice. These are much better then the kuiu pelton lines.

I still use plenty of Kuiu stuff though.. Pants, bino harnesses, RF holders, 1p and 2p tents. Packs. Sleeping bag. Dry bags, etc. Just no longer buy the tops or base layers from them. If your going to order from them, I have a 50 off 250 coupon I'll send you. Then also use active junky website to get another 12% off right now.

If I was to be starting fresh....

Socks.. First Lite
    Pants.. Kuiu
    Bino harness. Kuiu
    Top Base layers. First Lite merino
    Mid layers. First light kiln merino and Sitka
    Outer layers. Sitka. The Kelvin Lite and Kelvin WS are crazy good.
    Soft shell. Kuiu Guide jacket. If it fits you.
    Rain gear. Light weight.. Kuiu chugach NX with pit zips or Sitka dewpoint . Heavier duty.. Sitkas newest cloudburst or the Stormfront for very wet environments.
    Pack Frame.. Kifaru hands down, or if needed super light weight then Kuiu Pro. Have both. The EXO is good too. Used that for a bit.
    Bags to go on your frame.. kuiu. Takes some modification to get on Kifaru Frame, but worth it.
    Shelter. Kuiu. Light weight and work well.

I could keep going but this is just my opinion. If you want more details on specific KUIU pieces shoot me a PM. Think I have bought them all over the last so many years and spent maybe 5k on their stuff. Some is excellent. Some is not so great. So I look like a brand mess of different colors and camo when I hunt, but I have gone to the best pieces of gear, not necessarily all of one brand or pattern.

Reactions: 260284 and A&8's
    @jwknutson17

Good write up. I wear different brands of wool base, always going for 100% or very high wool content.

I would say look at the Alaska Guide Creations bino harnesses.

US made. Top quality.

Couple extra features I like more.

Small pockets that fit hunting LRF, GPS, windicator powder.
    Having that not bouncing in my KUIU pants cargo pockets is good.

Also, check out the Voormi line from here in CO. They have a couple badass hunting mid layers

Reactions: MOUNTIC
    @jwknutson17

Good write up. I wear different brands of wool base, always going for 100% or very high wool content.

I would say look at the Alaska Guide Creations bino harnesses.

US made. Top quality.

Couple extra features I like more.

Small pockets that fit hunting LRF, GPS, windicator powder.
    Having that not bouncing in my KUIU pants cargo pockets is good.

Also, check out the Voormi line from here in CO. They have a couple badass hunting mid layers

I'll check them out. Thanks for the heads up.
    I use the LRF pouch that attaches to the side of my harness with the bungee. Also use the side pockets on the harness for my windicator and mouth reeds. I have tried the sitka, badlands, and both the Kuius but not the alaska guide. If I run across one I'll check it out.

Having seen and tried on both, I like the AGC for me.

Im a bit like @pmclaine.

With a chance to buy US made, I will.

And I have a badass Stormy Kromer hat and jacket. More around town than hunting.

For sure flags me as a hillbilly though....

I have an Alaska Guide as well. Love it. Not sure what model I have but I got it through Vortex. It fits a 8x56, so it's kind of bulky, but I have my Laser Range Finder in the front pocket, my hunting license on the back and 5 rounds of ammo in one of the side pockets, but I usually carry 2 AICS magazines.

I think someone make a pistol holster for the side of it. Or maybe they do.

As far as outer layers, my concern with some, like 1st light, is the durability. Like I said in the OP, I whitetail hunt in Illinois. My property has it's fair share of briars. Probably few other things would piss me off more than to tear a $500 jacket of bibs the 1st year. lol

I would agree that Kuiu is not the toughest gear on the planet. You will sacrifice toughness for what it weighs. They have some newer lines that are supposed to be tougher.

If you are hunting Illinois, you would be hard pressed to pass over something like King of the Mountain or some other wool brand.

Bought a Kuiu button up insulated shirt here a few weeks ago at good discount.

If its representative of their other gear its very warm and "gossamer" light.

I haven't had it doing anything to strenuous other than drinking coffee in my 68 degree thermostat set house.

Im think though that if it went anywhere with briars, rocks or anything abrasive Id be leaving "the fabric of the angels" on every rub unless it was covered by something more shell like.

I do like that shirt though and think there gear would be great if used in conditions its suited to.

in this order.

1. First Lite
    2. First Lite
    3. First Lite
    4. Kuiu

One other down side to Kuiu (and probably the rest of the ultra-light synthetic hunting clothes) they do not like to stand next to a campfire without melting.

Reactions: pmclaine
    I like first lite merino for some base layers but my sitka light weight quater zip is my favorite base layer. The timberline pants from sitka are a favorite also. A person should never pay full price as there are discounts all the time. Socks darn tough is my all time favorite there

Reactions: FjallJager
    I would 100% concur with that. You may not get the pattern you want, but if you wait a bit you can get a deal.

Sitka, First Lite and Kuiu all have military pro deals. Google them!

Well, I ended up heading to Cabelas yesterday, since Mama and I were in STL. I wanted to try on and get a feel for what Sitka was all about. I ended up getting a Down Pour jacket. I was going to get the Celcius Midi to go under it, but they didn't have my size. Also, was going to get the Inferno bibs. Again didn't have my size. So, I'll order them online.

For a mid bottom, I intend on getting the 1st light Furnace long john. Of course, they are out of my size, too. ((Good thing I'm not a last minute shopper!))

My everyday base layer is: Duluth Trading Co's " Buck Naked Performance Base" and Haines base layer for the top.

So to outline my intended 3rd season Colorado Elk clothing gear:

Boots: Bellville 675

Socks: Wright 2 layer hiking socks over my everyday Wrangler boot socks.

Bottoms: Duluth Buck Naked Performance base.
    1St Light Furnace long john
    Sitka Inferno Bibs

Top: Haines base layer
    Nine Line or similar T-shirt
    Sitka Celcius mid
    Sitka Down Pour outer

I figure, if I get too warm, or if it's warmer temps while hiking, I can unzip or remove one article and throw it in my pack. And put it back on, if I'm sitting glassing for extended time. I just don't want to be miserable. At 49yrs old, I'm not as tough as I thought I use to be.

Thoughts?

Well, the Sitka Down Pour jacket just didn’t work out. It fit weird. Seemed like the sleeves, from the elbows down were made a size smaller. Ended up returning it. And ordered a Kuiu Gale Force jacket and pants. They are much better. A little more noisy, but the older I get the slower I get. So they’ll be fine. I really like how the fit. Even with base, mid layer and a Varustleka Sarma TST jacket underneath, they don’t feel bulky or limit any range of movement.

Thanks for all the recommendations!!