• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time for upgrade

paulrem308

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2012
South ms
Hello to all.need some advice looking to go witha custom action from current setup.
Rem 700 .308 mcree precision stock, nightforce atacr 5-25, thunder beast ultra 9. So basically barrels action is needed. The big question is which one. Defiance, stiller,kelby atlas,Alamo precision, impact precision. Really like the idea of integral rail and recoil lug and 1 piece bolt. Not really interested in interchangeable bolt heads. Set on going 6.5 creedmore. So quality barrel from any big name, hard to go wrong with from what I understand. Uses: punching paper, banging steel and killing deer. May do some f_class but not hard competition yet. Just not much custom action in my area to get hands on look.Thanks for your input.

If you want a fast lead time on your barrel and your action, I'd recommend picking up an Impact 737R from somewhere that has it in stock (I know that @Fred @ Bison Tactical has one in stock, as do many other stores that aren't Impact itself since the Impact website shows out of stock) and ordering a pre-fit barrel from Keystone Accuracy.

I ordered and paid for a Krieger barrel pre-fit from Keystone on a Wednesday afternoon and had a shipping notification with a tracking number waiting in my email when I woke up Friday morning. John has some seriously short lead times, and you can find evidence of his quality work on this forum or elsewhere.

Given those two items I'd bet you could have a barreled action put together by the end of next week if you do the assembly yourself (just torque on the barrel with an Impact pre-fit, nothing fancy there). For a trigger (if you need one) I'd recommend a TT Diamond, or a Bix n Andy TacSport Pro if you're a 2-stage kind of guy.

+1 for Impact action. They're being run the most in precision rifle shooting if you care, and the action is incredibly smooth. If anything, go to a local match and ask about people's equipment. Just do it in a non-douchey way and you'll be able to play with people's kit.

If anything, go to a local match and ask about people's equipment. Just do it in a non-douchey way and you'll be able to play with people's kit.
This is big if you're looking to try a bunch of different ones out. I know a lot of the guys local to my area (Colorado) secretly like to show off their rigs and let other people mess around with the bolts and triggers to feel how nice they are. Just follow a squad around for the match and by the end of it it's likely (at least here) that you'll have offers to shoot most of the rifles in the squad after the match is over.

Thanks for your replies. Torn ligaments in knee, so way to much time to research. Not much prs in my area, but some f class. Keep coming back to the defiance action. How well are prefit or remage barrels working out? Will built in recoil lug be a problem with this setup?

I have two of the Atlas actions now and have zero complaints.
They can be found in stock fairly easily and turn around time for the shouldered Bartlien barrel I sent to have done by Kelblys I think took about three weeks before I got it back.

If I were to do another custom build, it would be a kelbly atlas for sure.

What exactly do you value in an action? What specific features are you looking for? You state integral rail and recoil lug, but those are pretty much standard items for custom actions these days.

Without a criteria or "want" list, you're just going to get a bunch of BS rhetoric answers that states "action X feels the bestest and is used the most in PRS!!!!" to help people with their confirmation bias.

Fact is, lots of excellent actions out there these days. Depending on what you want/need in an action, action Y may work better for you than action X.

Want built in rail. No way for that to come loose. Built in rail and recoil lug is not standard on all of the custom actions. Would like m16 type extractor and mechanical ejector. Not too sure about the sliding plate extractors. Ability to change out barrel without sending to gunsmith. No desire for multi cal setup. Dont care what the big names in prs are doing, want quality

Not sure what your budget is but I’ve been extremely happy with my Lone Peaks and I think now they have the tenons set for barrel swaps.

Added to the watch list. Haven't heard of them until in another post. Looks like m16 extractors and mechanical ejectors dont go together. Maybe someone in the know will chime in.