• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time to bitch about winter?

cav has been

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2008
wilds of montana
Not really. We got about sixteen inches of snow the last twenty four. Wet, heavy, left Montana snow. Pushes pretty good, doesn't roll worth a damn. Ground is not frozen underneath so plowing is an exercise in control. The weather guessers are saying 3-5 inches tonight, 3-5 tomorrow,tapering off and cooling, then -8* for the weekend. Still have to put chains on the motor grader.
GOD I LOVE IT!!!! No smoke, hunters have gone home, touristas are at a minimum. It is white, quiet, and damn pretty. I have cold weather shooting tasks coming up. Sub-zero tests with the subsonics, also a little data I am trying to get put together using surplus powder in a 300wm. documenting the velocity drops that are temp. driven. I love it!

1ee7e1212752282733f20743d22c54ff.gif

SNOW

Its just a four letter word, and not a polite ine.

Fuck a bunch of Goddamn snow.

Really, I love snow...when its "Wow, look at that snow on the mt. top 40 miles away. So pretty. Its coming this way? Ill send you a post card from Jamaica.

Fuck a bucch of snow.

And I heard Kim has had more pipe in her thanthe back of a plumber's van.

DAMMIT! i was all upbeat and positive about our weather and then........ You went and brought up ice fishing'. We ain't got near enough ice.......... yet.

I left work today in shirtsleeves. In Denver.

Supposed to cool down and finally look like December around here.
Keeps the trauma ward full at work between jackwagons that cant drive and jackwagons who cant ski or snowboard very well. Which keeps me busy and getting paid.

I like the snow. I miss going out on a cold AM living at 9000 ft to get more wood for the stove. We would cut to length and stack pine and aspen that was standing dead and dry. Then split by hand every couple days all winter. Heated with wood, boiler at 40 to keeps pipes from freezing if I was gone a couple days. Wouldnt have needed so much wood if I could have cut hardwood, but this stuff was free and minutes from the house.

Not cold, but it was so foggy I couldn't see the ground when I went for a run. Instead of an awesome night time trail run in the rain, i had to do hill repeats up and down my steep ass drive way. Lame

I’m one of those weird folks that like it. If you live here, you either embrace it or spend half your life miserable. We have 4-5 months of winter, spend the balance of the year getting ready for it.

Seattle.......38F and rain set in early November. Will let up about 3/15/18. Born and raised here, got used to it a long time ago. The wife gets pissed when I "run away" to SoCal for business. I make it up to her by taking her to Switzerland, Austria and Czech Republic in January (and September). She digs it and I breathe a sigh of relief.

To keep my sanity, I keep telling myself that the days start getting longer on December 22nd. Really works. We're right there guys, nothing but blue sky and sunshine ahead !

14 degrees this morning, 15 mph wind sitting on the side of a hill trying to squeal up some cats. Life is good. Getting cold is for weinie butts........I got cold and went home, took a warm shower.

6:50am and it's 63* with an expected high of 82* this afternoon.

oneshot86 mentioned yesterday that I should be out hitting the flats and looking for snook and redfish.
Saving that for Friday.

Golf tomorrow with brother and nephew.
If I can talk the boys into it, shooting Saturday.

I wonder if it will be cool enough to wear long pants? :p

I seriously miss the snow. Night time atv rides through the Black Hills while it was snowing were awesome.
Going out shooting with snow on the ground has a completely different sound.

Winter is brutal here here, haha. I took my wife & kids out to look at Christmas lights last night in shorts & a T-shirt. We also stopped for ice cream along the way. It was 80* F at 2000 hrs.

Ive spent many years in the frozen north so I’m happy to be back in Texas. I don’t miss six week stretches of -20+* F, snowblowing, calling the plow truck guy, etc. However, I will concede that I miss hunting rabbits & hares on snowshoes & I miss riding sleds.

Last edited:
Just broke the snow shoes and gators out, setting up the pack now. I love the snow and hiking in the winter. Love testing gear, even if it's just out back. Mounted a 1-4x24 Vortex Crossover to my AR yesterday, shooting it tomorrow.

now snow and cold at work sucks ass.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/photos.smugmug.com\/photos\/i-3GC855q\/1\/e4e2801f\/O\/i-3GC855q.gif"}[/IMG2]

7°F and currently snowing here in SE WY. No wind to speak of either. Let it snow, we need it and I welcome it.

Got some testing done this a.m., Have't shot at -10* since last winter. Sunshine, blue skies, mountains just breathtaking, snow on near everything. 'Tis the season!

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/photos.smugmug.com\/photos\/i-3GC855q\/1\/e4e2801f\/O\/i-3GC855q.gif"}[/IMG2]

I cannot believe you posted this. While I was plowing the interstate highways years ago for the State my sister sent me this! I saved it. Thank you.

Maxwell

It's fucking cold here in the Miami River Valley.

It's been in the teens since Christmas morning and will be so until at least a week after new years.

Fuck this

Too bad my dash doesn't display the 20+ mph wind speed. Not sure why I work outside year round anymore.

Attachments

• photo84459.jpg
    photo84459.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 6
Too bad my dash doesn't display the 20+ mph wind speed. Not sure why I work outside year round anymore.

There comes a point where it just doesn't fucking matter how low you go. That's zero F for me.

It's 5 F here tonight, thankfully winds are calm.

14 Degrees this am and the wolves loveit. Me, not so much. In fact, not at all.

-8 at my house. GSD does not like it. I don't either.

-12 actual here... they claim -29 with wind chill, but I don't believe in wind chill cold.

Not the coldest it's been at the Schloss. But I suspect my diesel is going to turn over very.... very.... slowly before catching.

On the bright side.... it's a dry cold!

Cheers,

Sirhr

It was so effin cold here I had to wear a t-shirt last night sitting on the patio. :)

I have an older heat pump (fortunately gas back up for heat) which eats a cpaacitor religiously twice a year. kind of like Murphy's law on the hottest day of summer and today, the coldest day yet. I finally learned about 3 caps back that I can order it on line fot $6 each and change it in 10 minutws as opposed to waiting for 3 days and paying the service guy $125 for the same thing. I have 3 more in the closet.

HEE HEE, snowing it's everlovin' ass off as we speak. Predictions are 2' to 4' of that white fluffy stuff from this storm. The for sale signs will pop up here like flowers in the spring. Welcome to Monfuckingtana!!! 'Taint California is it pilgrim?

12 degrees in RI and here on Aquidneck island we are seeing a nice stiff wind to create an even more pleasurable windchill. Going to get worse before it gets better. Had the whole week off and have to spend it cooking versus shooting.

12 degrees in RI and here on Aquidneck island we are seeing a nice stiff wind to create an even more pleasurable windchill. Going to get worse before it gets better. Had the whole week off and have to spend it cooking versus shooting.

Yeah but I bet you spin a mean Moussaka.and Spanlkapita. Burp.

Yeah but I bet you spin a mean Moussaka.and Spanlkapita. Burp.

Actually I am making a salmon dish tonight with an herbal olive oil sauce. Some au gratin potatoes and roasted asparagus to round it out. Little Pinot noir to wash it down and then heading to my son's hockey game where it is 10 degrees colder than the outside temperature. I think I am feeling a flask of bourbon making the trip as well

Didn't get above °0 today here in the Catskills tonight -8 without the wind....... Still better than upper Midwest -37 in Deluth. .... fuck my dog cold.

-12 at the moment in Upper Dakota. Forecast is saying a midday high of -16 Saturday.

Sirloins, bacon sausage, bread and taters on hand. Tomorrow nite movies, beers, biscuits & gravy fixins. Check L.P. tank in the AM.

Napping schedule still to be finalized.

Took Rebecca to South Dakota four years ago this week.
Landed at RC regional mid afternoon to blowing snow and -16 degrees.
Spent 6 days there and it got above freezing only one day and that was for less than an hour.
Most of the time there was below zero and we had a great time.
The only day without full sun and clear skies was the trip to Devils Tower, but that even cleared up before we got there.

She got to see all my old haunts plus Devils Tower, Mount Rushmore, the Badlands, First Stop Gun shop and had two great dinners at the Firehouse Brewing Co and the Alpine Inn. We even had an awesome slice of blackberry pie in spearfish.
The trip ended way too quickly and we've been wanting to go back. Next time we'll take the kids but it will be in the summer so they can enjoy it without complaining about the cold...

Rebecca grew up in MI, so she's no stranger to cold but after a half dozen years in Tampa, she got acclimated to the good weather.

-12 actual here... they claim -29 with wind chill, but I don't believe in wind chill cold.

Not the coldest it's been at the Schloss. But I suspect my diesel is going to turn over very.... very.... slowly before catching.

On the bright side.... it's a dry cold!

Cheers,

Sirhr

In the logging camps north of Duluth, they didn’t even allow thermometers. Didn’t want the poor bastards to know how cold it really was.

I dont play the wind chill game either, but it does make a difference in how long you can be out in it, depending on what you’re trying to accomplish.

It warmed up to 10 today (on the positive side), balmy, so I grilled tonight :)

damn dude neg 12 is rough, how many heat back ups do you all in those areas have???

The rental house we are living in runs both LP and electric baseboard heat. Backup- 0. If push came to shove (power loss) I could run LP with my 4000 jobsite generator and some crude wiring. We also have some small LP space heaters that use both 20-100 pound tanks or the baby green tanks, plenty of both on hand. We'd be in the dark, but warm enough. The gasoline stash is not on-site, but not that far away.

The power grid is pretty stable as long as the wind behaves itself. I've lived through mid-winter blackouts before and have made preparations. Blows my mind when some people admit they have no backup plans or preps. I trust in the Lord in all things, but that doesn't mean the brain is in neutral.

And this morning's number.... -13 degrees. With no wind chill... because there is no wind.

Two batteries in the truck (snowplow package)... and it still just barely started! Damn....

Supposed to be like this for another week, too.

Well, at least it won't be 113 in the shade come July!

And in another couple of weeks when it goes up to 50 for our annual January thaw... it will be a nice 65 degree temperature swing. And we'll all put on shorts. Really.

Cheers,

Sirhr

+32* this a.m. and snowing. I plowed 15-16" yesterday, nice 24 hour accumulation. Power was out for a couple of hours last night but warm enough there was no need to start the get set.
Will fire up the motor grader and plow out to the county road today. It is only a mile but somewhat challenging due to timber, driveways, phone and power boxes etc. 14 ft moldboard makes a fair swath. Weather guessers are still predicting another 2 feet by Sunday morn. Life is good! ( except my steel targets are snow covered and invisible )

And this morning's number.... -13 degrees. With no wind chill... because there is no wind.

Two batteries in the truck (snowplow package)... and it still just barely started! Damn....

Supposed to be like this for another week, too.

Well, at least it won't be 113 in the shade come July!

And in another couple of weeks when it goes up to 50 for our annual January thaw... it will be a nice 65 degree temperature swing. And we'll all put on shorts. Really.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I'd imagine you know this but I'd guess your truck has a block heater.
Cranks like a champ after being plugged in all night.

R

Next time you want to bitch about winter remember this.

[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"Image may contain: text","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"729","width":"476","src":"https:\/\/scontent.fric1-2.fna.fbcdn.net\/v\/t31.0-8\/15591390_10154236861277705_2763943426424242976_o.jpg?oh=c66b0cd83d09b462685166e85de4d81b&oe=5AC474C7"}[/IMG2]

-12 °F in western OH right now. Max 15 F today.

That's cold for here. We got 5 - 6 days more of this shit before it goes back to normal (20s and 30s ABOVE zero)