• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time to update my LR measuring devices. What am I missing?

Romeo458

That Guy
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2019
NEIA
Aside from the rangefinder and 10x binoculars that are not in the picture this is currently what I have. My wind and weather meter will no longer hold the battery in so it is sealed in its own bag and needs replaced. I use the yellow rite in the rain book as a make shift dope book where I take notes of location date time and temperature parametric wind humidity Mo temperature elevation and so on. That is one book for one gun. I keep a compass to tell me what direction I'm facing (and why not have a spare) and the IR thermometer for ammo temperature. The range finder works, but like the wind meter the battery door is broken and it's due updating. I do have spare batteries for the flashlight thermometer and everything else in the pouch.

I have a bag that all of this and my main go to LR gun sits in that doubles as a shooting mat, and my range bag keeps the eye and ear protection. I keep a spare pair of plugs in the pouch.

I had most of this stuff for a long time and it's due an update so what are good recommendations and what am I missing from my kit?

20200616_165355.jpg

Fixit sticks or Borka tool, rangefinder grab a leica or sig, better yet grab the range binocs

An IR thermometer for ammo temp, eh? I've always figured that my ammo is generally at ambient temp when sitting in the boxes. More importantly the powder, not the case exterior, is about level with ambient temp. Do you find it the temps make a difference in velocity or anything? I'm curious how much powder actually heats up compared to the case when not in a chamber.

I will say I feel pretty complete with my SIG kilo and kestrel sportsman. Once you've got your loads dialed in, that's about all you should need. Backups are never bad though, so maybe keep one little DOPE book.

An IR thermometer for ammo temp, eh? I've always figured that my ammo is generally at ambient temp when sitting in the boxes. More importantly the powder, not the case exterior, is about level with ambient temp. Do you find it the temps make a difference in velocity or anything? I'm curious how much powder actually heats up compared to the case when not in a chamber.

I will say I feel pretty complete with my SIG kilo and kestrel sportsman. Once you've got your loads dialed in, that's about all you should need. Backups are never bad though, so maybe keep one little DOPE book.
I’ve laid cases in the sun on a hot mat In 55 degree ambient temps and gotten higher temperatures and corresponding speeds.

Reactions: Romeo458