• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Time to Upgrade NXS F1

Big_Kumar

MMNC(SS)
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2019
NM
I recently decided to step out of the darkness and make the change from MOA to mils. I plan on keeping the same model of scope as much as possible, but the one that I am having trouble finding a replacement for is my Nightforce NXS F1 sitting on my M1A EBR. I love this scope because it is a tank and I don't have to worry quite as much about bumping it around on a heavy gun. The glass is obviously not on par with newer scopes, but it hasn't really been an issue because this particular rig generally stays 600-800 yards most of the time for steel and even closer when I take it hog hunting. While the absolute best case scenario for me would be to find an NXS F1 in mils, I am trying to get a Plan B figured out in case I can't find another one. I am trying to stay around 1500 or under, have access to .mil pricing, and I'm not opposed to buying used. Scopes that I am considering:

-Nightforce NX8 2.5-20: I have seen reviews that discuss optically quality being somewhat lack luster, but I don't know if it is a big enough issue for my applications. My guess is that it is still better than NXS that I am using right now, but I don't know. My only "complaint" would be that I am not a huge fan of the button illumination controls.

-Vortex Razor II 3-18: I have had one of these in the past and they are solid scopes from what I remember. I know people run them hard in PRS so I'm not concerned about the durability. Probably my biggest complaint about it would be that it is a brick and I don't want to add any more weight to an already heavy rig if I don't have to.

-Leupold MK5HD 3.6-18: People seem to like them, but adding illumination would start pushing my fun money budget to it's current limit.

Any other suggestions that I may be missing?

My concern with the 4-32x would be spending the vast majority of my time in the bottom half of the magnification range and how useable the reticle would be. Unfortunately, I am not in a spot to get my hands on one any time soon to see for myself. Any input for the 12x-18x range on that scope?

Reactions: 702lineman
My concern with the 4-32x would be spending the vast majority of my time in the bottom half of the magnification range and how useable the reticle would be. Unfortunately, I am not in a spot to get my hands on one any time soon to see for myself. Any input for the 12x-18x range on that scope?
I've been nothing but impressed with my NX8, no issues at all. The majority of the time mine stays at 20 to 24x, and I've used the Mil-C reticle down to 8X easily. My nephew is running my ATACR 7-35X and I don't feel I'm giving up anything. Get your hands on one try before you buy. All these "shithouse" optical reviews take with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Big_Kumar
Uh .... when did they make a first focal plane NXS scope?

Out of your list, I would go NX8. I'm also inclined to agree with @Criver600 that it may be worth it to go with the 4-32x. The reticle is usable in lower magnifications (ex: 8x) and the higher end only gives you flexibility. And if a hog is close enough that you're dialing down to 4x for the best picture, I doubt the reticle will even be in play. Not much of a hit on length and weight. Just my 2¢.

It’s been long since discontinued but the NXS F1s were fantastic optics for their time.

OP,
Go snag a used ATACR F1 4-16x42 in the PX for 1500. You won’t regret it.
I would love to pick up an ATACR, but I don’t know that I have seen them that low. I guess I will have to keep a closer eye on the PX.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I just returned an NX8 4-32, and a Mk5 5-25. The XTR3 is the best in the price range IMHO, but they're all really close. NX8 has the worst glass of the bunch, but I didn't notice until ~300 yds. Trijicon/Delta offerings have the best glass for me, but without the FOV of the Burris, and less contrast than the Burris or Mk5. Illumination on the XTR3 should be available by summer, according to Burris guy in another thread.

I would love to pick up an ATACR, but I don’t know that I have seen them that low. I guess I will have to keep a closer eye on the PX.
They exist man. I keep seeing them pop up but they go quick.

Another option is a used MK5, which pops up a bit. I never put hands on one but people who I respect the options of speak highly about em. But you’re right...the illum feature really tacks on some cash. ...when then you’re just better off with the ATACR lol.

best of luck with the hunt man. I think I’m going to redistribute my NXS F1 from my wife’s bolt gun to my M1A 😂

An ATACR for $1500 would be a great find. I think I usually see the NXS F1 going for around that. Good luck in your search. I have one I'm about to mount on a rifle. But I have thought about how I could sell it and add a few dollars for something newer and superior.

best of luck with the hunt man. I think I’m going to redistribute my NXS F1 from my wife’s bolt gun to my M1A 😂
You should. I loved that rifle and scope combination.

PxSkprR.jpg

In a random turn of events, I just found a deal on a Leupold MK5HD with H59 so I picked it up. For the price I paid, I will find something to put it on even if it isn’t my M1A.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
In a random turn of events, I just found a deal on a Leupold MK5HD with H59 so I picked it up. For the price I paid, I will find something to put it on even if it isn’t my M1A.

How would you compare the NXS f1 to the mark 5? You probably haven't shot with the mark 5 yet but how is first impression, build quality and glass/FOV when looking through it.

How would you compare the NXS f1 to the mark 5? You probably haven't shot with the mark 5 yet but how is first impression, build quality and glass/FOV when looking through it.
I found it online, so it will be a few days before I have it in hand. This site has a lot of people with plenty of experience with them though.

So I somehow ended up stumbling into a Razor 3-18, which means I should have some options between it and the Leupold. If for some reason neither of them “fit” the M1A, I have some other setups that I can put them on.

Are there any other options that I am missing? Steiner has the T5Xi 3-15, but it doesn’t seem to get much love around here. I don’t know much about S&B, Kahles, TT, etc. but I am pretty sure that they are all well outside my fun money budget.

I saw a razor 3-18 on the px this morning. Great price. Glad somone had bought it before me because I was almost ready to buy it. Need a scope for where my NXS F1 was intended to go. My FN a3g

I have a 4-16 atacr and while it is fantastic scope, I wish it had just a little more magnification.

Even though it's marketed as a "compact" scope, it's a beefy scope. Its large enough to notice the size/weight penalty compared to a traditional 2.5-10 scope. If I'm going to take a size & weight penalty, I'd like more than 16x magnification. But that's just me, I like magnification becuase my eyesight isn't great.

If I were you... I'd look at the 3.6-18 mark 5. IMO the razor is crazy heavy. Not sure about the steiner, all I remember is that they had a lot of issues when they were released and I've been turned off ever since.

Just to give an update...

Since I originally posted about a week ago, I have picked up a Leupold MK5 3.6-18, a Vortex Razor II 3-18, and a Steiner T5Xi 3-15. Hopefully one of them will fit on my M1A and the others will go on something else in my safe.

The Leupold arrived a few days ago, and I have to admit that I like it more than I thought I would. I was kind of worried about the 10.5 mils/rev, the unconventional windage turret alignment, and the 35mm tube. They aren’t as big of an issue as I thought, and I am pretty sure that this scope will actually end up on my old service rifle competition AR. At this point I just need to find a decent cantilevered 35mm that will fit a small frame AR.

The Vortex should show up tomorrow because FedEx is running late, but I am looking forward to it. If it is even close to what I remember, I will be happy. The only problem is that I am pretty sure my wife wants it to go on her bolt gun.

While I haven’t handled one in a while, I am pretty sure I remember the Steiner being close to the original Razor. If it is, I am pretty sure it will end up on my M1A. I know there were issues when it first came out and there is still a bad feelings towards it, but I liked the one I had. If I was shooting 1000+ I would probably choose something else, but I think it will do everything I need it to. If it doesn’t, I can maybe move to something else like an ATACR.

A flat top AR? (When you say service rifle, I envision an A2 upper receiver.) If it’s a flat top, I would take a look at the Badger Ordnance C1 mount.
It is a flat top. That’s the one that I have been looking at. I wish Geissele made one that would fit.

I've had 2 4-32 nx8. Great scope, but for prs or an ar15 I would stay away. Fov was pretty small and I had a hard time finding targets unless I was zoomed out. When zoomed out though the reticle was too small to use. Glass is good, and turrets are good as well.

I use a 3-18 gen 2 with 7-c ret. I use on my mk12 mod 0, and I absolutely love it....except it's heavy as shit!!! Great scope for that rifle if it was lighter.

I think a 4-16 atacr is the perfect scope for me. I've had the higher magnification atacrs, but never a 4-16

A kahles 3-18 may be an option also

I just returned an NX8 4-32, and a Mk5 5-25. The XTR3 is the best in the price range IMHO, but they're all really close. NX8 has the worst glass of the bunch, but I didn't notice until ~300 yds. Trijicon/Delta offerings have the best glass for me, but without the FOV of the Burris, and less contrast than the Burris or Mk5. Illumination on the XTR3 should be available by summer, according to Burris guy in another thread.
How does the glass and turrets on the Delta Stryker compare to the XTR3?

I really like my Delta Stryker other than the FOV, which the more I use it is starting to bug me. The XTR3 is very appealing, once the illuminated model is out.

I've had 2 4-32 nx8. Great scope, but for prs or an ar15 I would stay away. Fov was pretty small and I had a hard time finding targets unless I was zoomed out.

The FOV on the 4-32 isn’t so small that you won’t be able to find targets. That’s just nonsense.

Well, I have never had this problem with any other scope I have had!!!! Kahles, atacrs, gen 2 razors, uso, you name it!!! Im telling you from experience that's how it is!!!

The 4-32 has comparable FOV to the razor. So I don’t understand how you aren’t finding targets.

Reactions: beetroot
I could find targets when zoomed out enough, but then the reticle was too small for me to use and would have to zoom back in to hold for wind. At 6-8 power on that scope I could not see the reticle good enough to use it. They were both mil c. At 15-20ish power I could not find targets. This is just my experience with nx8. I have never had this issue with other scopes. Maybe I'm the only one, idk.

Wouldn’t you agree that two optics with the same magnification and field of view should render similar images?

Maybe it’s the way the image is displayed in the Razor vs the NX8. I know the Razor projects the image right at you where as the NX8 has it somewhat deeper in the eyebox. It seems that the Razor image is closer to your eye.

I appreciate all of the responses so far.

While I very well could be wrong, I feel like the NX8 4-32 is a lot more scope than what I need for this setup. Having said that, you guys have convinced me to look at them a little closer for another upcoming project.

The more I think about them, the more interested I become in the ATACR 4-16 and Kahles 3-18. They are firmly outside my budget, but is the extra cost worth it in this case? Would I fully appreciate the step up if I am staying inside 800 yards or would I never see its full potential?

The 4-32 is physically smaller than what you have now. I wouldn’t give up the extra mag and the 10mil turrets for the extra heft of the other two.