• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Time to upgrade optics, some questions...

Twisted

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2009
NW Oregon
www.twistedfirearms.com
So I recently built my first precision rig (Rem 700 in .308) and I put a Bushnll Elite 3200 5x15x40 on it. I honestly like the scope and for the money it is hard to beat. Well, a few weeks ago I took a precision shooting class with a very knowledgeable instructor. He was commenting how the big downfall to my choice in optics was that it might eventually not return to perfect zero. Something about the adjustments being made of nylon that can wear out instead of metal like the nicer optics. He explained to me about shooting the box to test it but I haven't been to the range since.

Anyways, long story short, that thought has been on my mind so I'm thinking of upgrading already. No big loss cause the Bushnell has a home on another rifle waiting for it. I just sold a rifle I had no use for and have a little money to buy something nice with.

I've been looking at the Leupolds because they have such a great rep, made in the USA, and even better, made in Beaverton Oregon not too far from my house. (I love supporting local companies) I have been looking at the Mark 4 4.5-14x40 as it seems to be everything good one would need in a scope for well under 4 digits.

Is it worth the extra money to go to the 4.5-14x50? Is there a gain in performance that will warrant the extra cost? Seems like a big jump in cost for a little more performance.

What about the 6.5-20x50? I wouldn't mine a little more magnification but again, another jump in cost and I could easily make do with 14x since I will very very very rarely get the chance to go over 600 yards.

Aside from that I have been trying to read up on the Leupolds as much as I can. I don't quite understand all the different turretts but believe the targets are the ones I want.

Re: Time to upgrade optics, some questions...

The VX III 6.5-20x40 (no need for 50) is a great scope as is the like Nikon Monarch. Both are better than any Bushnell other than the 6500. The only disadvantage they all share is that are second focal plane scopes which means mil-dot ranging is only "on" at one magnification. If you look around, you can frequently pick up a one generation old scope (still superior to the 3200) for a lot less than the latest, newest model. For example, I recently sold a Schmidt and Bender PH mil dot model 4-16 first focal plane (there are scopes and then there is S&B) on ebay for $1400. It was 98% outside and optically perfect. Having shot it side by side out to 1000 against my VX III, Monarch and 6500, it clearly superior. (I sold it because I didn't need three).
Good shooting

So is the only difference between the Mark 4 and the VX3 the FFP vs. SFP? If so that is great. I don't use the mil dots for ranging, just want to the ability to, and I can remember to set the magnification for that.

There are some situations where having the MD ranging and holdoff being constant at all Xs may be helpful, such as an unknown range course or hunting or (never done it) shooting real people who shoot back.
I almost never buy a new scope as there are so many minty used ones out there. By careful shopping you can get a two level upgrade used for the same price as a lower grade new one.
Good shooting!

I hear ya. I have been watching the classifieds for a good used optic as I have no problem buying used. I set up an account at work with a distributor who carries Leupold so I can get a new one for about the same as a good used one.

I'm still unsure about which one I will go for. I'm really thinking that a Mark 4 4.5-14x40 will be plenty for me and what I do. I honestly think my Bushnell 3200 will work for me but it just bothers me to think that someday I may need it for more than killing paper and I can't trust it to return to zero.