• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing times friends M16 A4

hue001t

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2009
jacksonville,NC/middletown CT
when he chambers a round multiple times throughout a moth or so w/o firing slowly the brass becomes more and more dented? also when he chambers a round it creats a mark almost as if the firing pin was striking it with a lil force, i looked at alot of other ppls it dosent happen not nearly as bad as his?
ne thoughts? headspace?

Re: times friends M16 A4

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when he chambers a round multiple times throughout a moth or so w/o firing slowly ...</div></div>

Don't do that. If a round has been chambered a couple of times, it should be thrown away. The bullet is likely to get set back, causing pressure problems, and other problems.

Like I said, don't do that.

I find it much easier once the round is chambered, to just shoot it the first time!
wink.gif

check function/test/play with a dummy round/snap cap not live ammo.

+1 Lindy comments

The firing pin thing is normal in AR's...it is free floating, not captivated or under any spring tension..when the carrier slams closed inertia causes it to drive forward and tap the primer..this is why military ammo has a hard cupped primer, reduces the chance of a slam-fire. If a round is chambered and then extracted as a result of not firing, it is the accepted practice to rotate that round further into the magazine and to not load it on top again, as mentioned repeating chamberings will do funky things to the cartridge.

wow i had no idea and thanky you guys for all the imformation, when we go out on patrols we need to chamber a round for obvious reasons so i dont know if it will be possible not to but is something i will pay attention to none the less. once again ty