• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Timing muzzle brake off the end of the barrel

Easy_E

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 19, 2006
St Johns Mi
I've heard of this being done but haven't found any details looking around online for help . The AR15 barrel is .740 OD and 11/16-24 3A threads need .688 so there's not enough shoulder to tighten up on. The brake is a SilencerCo and measuring with a depth gage the back of the brake is square with the end of the threaded hole .

I'm threading in the lathe so I can square up the nose of the barrel and adjust to time the brake is this about all there is to it ? Also it will need to be pinned to end up at 16" in length .

Sorry if I'm over thinking it just wanted some opinions before tearing into it.
Thanks

Yeah, you can time it using a squared off muzzle. After the pin and weld it isn't going anywhere, as long as it's all lined up there's no voodoo.

Reactions: Easy_E
I'm thinking you'd need a relief cut on the female threads at the muzzle end of the brake to ensure it can fully seat against the flat muzzle.

Going to tackle this tonight the brake does have the relief cut in the back already I may need to just skim cut the od of the barrel sonit will clear.

Thunder Beast does this for thin, lightweight barrels. They did 4 of my father in law's rifles that way.

I'm thinking you'd need a relief cut on the female threads at the muzzle end of the brake to ensure it can fully seat against the flat muzzle.

Even easier, just remove a few threads at the muzzle. Same effect either way, but doing it to the male threads is a lot easier.

Incidentally that's also a good way to protect threads from damage as well as to align the parts for threading together, and is used on a lot of bolts for OEM auto manufacturers. That's called a "dog point" on a bolt.

Even easier, just remove a few threads at the muzzle. Same effect either way, but doing it to the male threads is a lot easier.

Incidentally that's also a good way to protect threads from damage as well as to align the parts for threading together, and is used on a lot of bolts for OEM auto manufacturers. That's called a "dog point" on a bolt.
Got the barrel threaded tonight using the nose of the barrel worked great . Youndering's suggestion is what I had to do that relief cut in the female threads wasn't deep enough to clear . Having .800 in threads looks strange but no one will see them now .
Thanks for the replies !