• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

timing muzzle break for accuracy

Coyotejunki

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I just bought a used Little bastard, 2nd gen muzzle brake for my Tikka 6.5 CTR. I have never used one before, should I time it with the ports at 3 and 9 oclock? I think I saw a video of Gerry Miculek timing his at slighty off center ( approx 2 and 8 o'clock position) on his AR15 ( I know a different cartridge and type of rifle). Has anyone here tried this of does this now?

Last edited:
most people avoid this as it would or may kick dirt at you if you shoot prone in the field. in any case, since it should be symmetrical in if affect on the gas exiting, i am thus far unaware of "tuning" the rifle in this way (doesn't mean it doesn't work).
my surefire brake is actually designed to direct more gas in one direction.

open-uri20131116-3917-xwheh0

Jerry isn't clocking his brake off center for accuracy. He's doing it to counteract the tendency of a rifle to recoil up and right when being shot offhand by a right handed shooter.