• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing "Timing" off in bolt action ?????????

tspearsrph

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2003
Talladega, AL
I have a rem 700 (6.5 x 47) that, i think, the "timing is off." Please correct me if the following problem is not that, and, if it is...how to fix it.

When you chamber a round and close the bolt (handle/knob as far 'down' as it will go) and attempt to pull trigger, SOMETHING impedes
the firing pin from striking the cartridge with full force. If you
lift the bolt handle, say 15 - 20 degrees then absolutely no problem.

With bolt handle in proper battery, the firing pin does not strike with enough force to ignite primer. Again, lift bolt handle slightly....works perfectly.

To fix this, must gunsmith have the barreled action, or just the
bolt?

Thanks in advance to reasonable answers. Don't be offended if i don't respond to dumbass questions/solutions.

tom

Re: "Timing" off in bolt action ?????????

I'm sure Dans40x will be here in a second to straighten things out. He is excellent on the timing subject.

Hmm, weird. The limiting factor on how far the bolt handle will do should be the locking lugs. Have you tried removing the safety, stock and the trigger assembly to see if the striker drops all the way when you close the bolt ? (unloaded of course). If it does, the sear has to be hanging up on something when the bolt is fully locked.
Then it's time for some Dyekem on all the moving parts to see what is rubbing/hanging up on what.
You might also check that the bolt handle is not hitting the stock, preventing full lockup of the bolt.
What parts are OEM and what parts are aftermarket?
700s are pretty simple so it shouldn't be a tough fix. Good luck and let us know.

Bolt/Handle Radial Timing is AFU!!!

Bolt is over rotating allowing firing pin striker to hit straight cut opposite of cocking cam in aft end of bolt body.

Simple Fix!!
Remove handle
Prep
Locate
Time
TIG Weld Handle
Done!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bolt/Handle Radial Timing is AFU!!!

Bolt is over rotating allowing firing pin striker to hit straight cut opposite of cocking cam in aft end of bolt body.

Simple Fix!!
Remove handle
Prep
Locate
Time
TIG Weld Handle
Done!!

</div></div>

You forgot a step.....

<span style="color: #000099"> MAIL TO DANS40X</span>
Remove handle
Prep
Locate
Time
TIG Weld Handle
Done!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm, weird. The limiting factor on how far the bolt handle will do should be the locking lugs. </div></div>

Dan already posted the fix to the problem, but the actual limiting factor in bolt rotation is the handle. There are no surfaces inside the 700 action that impede 360° rotation of the bolt body in the absence of a handle. This is why timing is a function of bolt handle placement.

Were there lug stops inside the action that the bolt lugs abutted during rotation, I would venture to guess that enough crud would build up in that area that gunsmiths would be overrun with what amounts to nothing more than cleaning jobs to correct "malfunctions".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure Dans40x will be here in a second to straighten things out. He is excellent on the timing subject. </div></div>

Haha, you beat me to it!

Thanks, Dan. So is all you need the bolt assembly....or must you
have the receiver also? and stock?

tom

Probably will need the action for timing since the spot where the bolt starts to cam is set by the angle on the receiver, but I'm not 100%. I was going to have him make me PTG bolt, ad he told me as long as the action had not been worked on it should fit and work fine. but for timing one that is already off he'll probably need the action the stock is not a part of the job you need. If anything you would need to shave some material from the handle recess but you cold do that with a file or dremel