• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Timney 2-Stage Thoughts

Casey_H

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Apr 24, 2019
    San Marcos TX
    Hi everybody. I purchased a Timney 532CE 2-Stage trigger about a month ago for my Rem700 AAC 6.5 Creed, and so far have put about 120 rounds through it. I thought I'd take a minute to share some comments on it for anyone interested in buying one.

A bit of history: this was my first take on an aftermarket 2-stage trigger for myself. Prior to this I've been shooting with a Triggertech Special single-stage and had absolutely no problems. I got the bug for a 2-stage after shooting a friend's AIAT, but this review is mostly compared to my Triggertech.

On to the trigger. First off, it wouldn't function out of the box. After screwing with for a while I pulled it back out and found a small crumb of plastic underneath the sear, right out the gate. Then after getting everything back together and adjusting the second stage to my liking (26-28oz), again thr trigger wouldn't function. I called Timney and was told I would have to machine a few thousandths off the top of the sear since it was sitting too far into the bottom of the action. So after a few attempts I got everything working properly at my desired pull weight.

Now on to shooting with this trigger... Oh boy. I want to start by saying that maybe this triggers supposed to work this way and I'm just ignorant, but I didn't like it. After hitting the wall of the second stage, there's still quite a bit of creep before the trigger actually brakes. After a few rounds I got the hang of it and I started to like feeling exactly where it would break. In my Triggertech the pre-travel is basically nonexistent before the break, so this was very different. I didn't have my trigger gauge at the range but I felt as though I was getting pretty inconsistent pull weights shot to shot, if I had to guess from 24-32oz (ish).

On to my biggest complaint. This one issue made me put my Triggertech back in, it was bothering me so much. Trigger shoe side-to-side wiggle. At least 3/8" if not up to 1/2" free play side-to-side. I couldn't stand it. I would be more lenient if this was a lower spec'd trigger, perhaps from a lower quality company. But this isn't just a Timney, its a Calvin Elite goddammit. Honestly I expected more. Soon as I get word on Triggertech's 2-stage hitting the shelves I'm going that direction.

I know Timney makes awesome products so I'm not going to hit them too hard. But I'll be staying away from their 2-stages until a change is made.

Thanks all

Reactions: tRidiot
    Makes me feel a little better about taking advice of friends and ordering the TriggerTech Diamond this weekend. Thanks for the great review, man! Strong work.

Reactions: Casey_H
    If you really want to try a nice two stage, buy a Gaissele super 700. Brownells puts them on sale every six months or so for right around $200. Very well executed. The sear design is very similar to the AI actually.

The Timney, as you may have noticed, is not actually a two stage. It’s a single stage with springy freeplay on the front end. Mine is garbage. Can’t believe that thing made it to market. Horrible creep.

Send it back and have them check it out. Sounds like it's got something wrong.

The few I've tried had a smooth take-up through the first stage, hit the wall and broke crisp with zero creep. I could pull through the first stage to the wall and slowly load up the 2nd and it just snaps with no real movement.

The 2nd stage felt exactly like the CE single stage breaking.

No noticible side to side wobble in any of the guns. These were all 700 receivers.

Reactions: wes1
    ^^^^ Agreed ^^^^
    I'd be hard pressed to believe Timney would want or have a trigger like that in the market.

Did you thoroughly read the setup manual for the trigger before and after adjusting?
    When rereading I caught a few specific adjustment procedure details I missed regarding setup on my Calvin Elite.

Give Timney a call. (y)

I have two as well (one in an Origin, another in a Tikka). No problems or complaints, and I generally run an AI-AT (with comp two stage) as my comp rifle.

I got one on a barreled action trade, it was shit. Fake 2 stage with a ton of creep. You cant adjust sear like typical triggers. Flip safety on, run screw in till it bottoms against safety, back out till safety moves free. Sear engagement set, wtf, still feels like shit. Giessele 700 is a solid trigger, have 2. Bix n Andy tacsport pro is awesome, have 2, and works with funky actions like curtis and deadline.

I have had horrible results with mine!! Same issue take up first stage and second stage is like a sponge, sent back to Timney which I will say was a pleasure to deal with I can’t complain about that, got the trigger back after they said they did some polishing on it, guy even said it is breaking like glass. Well that ain’t the case still is terrible worst trigger by far I have. I have been highly disappointed with the trigger especially for the cost I was expecting a lot more. Will be calling them again to see if I can just swap it for a single stage something!!

My timney calvin elite two stage triggers feel great in my axiom action but in my Remington it has pre-travel during the second stage before the break. There is a big difference how a trigger feels depending on the action and variances of.

Send it back and have them check it out. Sounds like it's got something wrong.

The few I've tried had a smooth take-up through the first stage, hit the wall and broke crisp with zero creep. I could pull through the first stage to the wall and slowly load up the 2nd and it just snaps with no real movement.

The 2nd stage felt exactly like the CE single stage breaking.

No noticible side to side wobble in any of the guns. These were all 700 receivers.
    Yeah unfortunately that was not my experience at all. With3 adjustment screws not including the sear adjustment which had loctite from the factory, I thought I'd be able to get this thing perfect. Turns out that everything's connected, so adjusting ANY of the screws extensively caused the trigger not to function for one reason or another.

My timney calvin elite two stage triggers feel great in my axiom action but in my Remington it has pre-travel during the second stage before the break. There is a big difference how a trigger feels depending on the action and variances of.
    That's why I've decided not to throw it away yet. I'll try it in other actions at some point and maybe it'll work with some quality.

^^^^ Agreed ^^^^
    I'd be hard pressed to believe Timney would want or have a trigger like that in the market.

Did you thoroughly read the setup manual for the trigger before and after adjusting?
    When rereading I caught a few specific adjustment procedure details I missed regarding setup on my Calvin Elite.

Give Timney a call. (y)
    There was no setup manual in the packaging. Just an outline of which adjustment screws are which, but nothing on how to properly set the trigger

I had the same problems with my Timney Two Stage, I talked with Timney. They said it shouldn't have creep, send it in. It came back exactly the same. It was in a Remington action.

Mine was also a Remington action, I’m gonna talk to them again and see what they can do because it is junk

I had two. They were more like 3 stages, with a ton of creep after the wall. Called Timney, got the "never heard that complaint before, better send it in" line.
    So I did. After some "polishing and adjustment" they returned it. And it was the same, if not worse than before. Sent them down the road and never looked at another Timney.
    I had a Huber in for awhile after that. Those break really nice, but I found the pull weight would creep up if they got a little dust in them, and it's not user adjustable. The 1.5# or higher minimum break was borderline too heavy anyway, especially after it would creep up to 2#+.
    I went back to single stages, and love my Diamonds.

Something ain't right with that side-to-side slop. I'd be sending that back to Timney.

My experience is with just one Timney 2-stage for my Ruger Precision Rifle. I LOVE it. Smooth and crisp. No creep that I can detect.

I like it better than my Geiselle National Match trigger in my precision AR-15. Granted, I'm comparing a semi-auto to a bolt-action. But, I've been very happy with my Timney 2-stage.

Something ain't right with that side-to-side slop. I'd be sending that back to Timney.

My experience is with just one Timney 2-stage for my Ruger Precision Rifle. I LOVE it. Smooth and crisp. No creep that I can detect.

I like it better than my Geiselle National Match trigger in my precision AR-15. Granted, I'm comparing a semi-auto to a bolt-action. But, I've been very happy with my Timney 2-stage.

The 2 stage timney in your rpr is alot different than the 700 2 stage. If I remember correctly, the rpr could actually be adjusted for sear engagement like traditional seae engagement setting. The 700 2 stage is weird on setting sear engagement and sucks.

I had a rpr with timney, if it is better than your giessele hi speed natl match, you better call giessele. The hi speed match trigger I have is superb and as nice as a bix n Andy 2 stage.

The 2 stage timney in your rpr is alot different than the 700 2 stage. If I remember correctly, the rpr could actually be adjusted for sear engagement like traditional seae engagement setting. The 700 2 stage is weird on setting sear engagement and sucks.

I had a rpr with timney, if it is better than your giessele hi speed natl match, you better call giessele. The hi speed match trigger I have is superb and as nice as a bix n Andy 2 stage.

I figured the 700 trigger is mechanically different than the RPR. I was just pointing out the basis of my (good) experience with Timney. I went through 1,000 rounds with my stock RPR trigger before switching. And, I thought the stock trigger was pretty good. The Timney was definitely a significant upgrade.

As for my comparison to the Geissele... I attribute the difference in feel to the difference between a bolt-action and a semi-auto. They're completely different mechanisms, eh? Don't get me wrong... I also like my hi-speed national match. But, the bolt-action is a slightly crisper and lighter break.

My buddy, who is a "Distinguished Rifleman" and competes on the national level would disagree with you on the claim of being as good as a Bix n Andy. :) He was also the one who explained to me that a semi-auto trigger will never feel like a bolt-action trigger.

My bixes are lighter, and I'm talking about the match version, not dmr or service rifle version, of giessele. Mine is 1.5lb(1st)and 14oz(2nd), I have my bixes set at 1lb and 12oz. I find the break pretty close between the 2 with the giessele having a more noticeable wall. Yes a gas gun wont be as accurate, moving parts and lock time related, but the timneys I've owned were average at best. A timney 2 stage that's better than a giessele hi speed is kinda hard to imagine. It's easy to think the timney on a bolt gun is why it shoots better than a gasser with a hi speed, I guess, but it's more the rifle. Maybe I got 2 superb hi speed match triggers, but both are extremely crisp, creep free, and safe. They(giessele) are a little hard to get fine tuned, compared to a bix, and have a higher break weight. I still consider my old tuned ae's trigger as the bar I compare to and try to emulate with other 2 stages.

I run a Timney two-stage on a Remington 700 mountain rifle. I have always really liked it so this thread prompted me to go pull it out of the safe to see if I missed something. There is no lateral play in the shoe, no creep in the second stage and pull weight is super consistent. Since it is a hunting rifle I run it a bit heavier.

Sounds like you got a lemon. My only other thought is there might be some crappy knock-offs floating around. I am reading more of that kind of thing when people buy from Amazon-related sites or eBay.

There is side ti side slop with the two stage Timneys. Thats normal. The comparisons between the two stage timney and the single stage trigger techs is apples to oranges. The single stage Timney triggers are much cleaner. As @supercorndogs said, the Timney 510 are every bit as good as the Trigger tech specials.

I run a Timney two-stage on a Remington 700 mountain rifle. I have always really liked it so this thread prompted me to go pull it out of the safe to see if I missed something. There is no lateral play in the shoe, no creep in the second stage and pull weight is super consistent. Since it is a hunting rifle I run it a bit heavier.

Sounds like you got a lemon. My only other thought is there might be some crappy knock-offs floating around. I am reading more of that kind of thing when people buy from Amazon-related sites or eBay.
    All mine have lateral play. Doesnt bother me a bit since i pull straight back. Its a sitting on the couch problem and not a real one.

Neither my Timney on the RPR nor the Geissele Hi-Speed on my AR-15 have lateral play. I just went to the safe to check. :)

I also compared trigger feel side by side, again, to refresh my memory. They are both VERY crisp breaks. The Geissele is definitely heavier on both the first and second stages. Not much. And, that may be because I've got the Timney set pretty light. I've got the "Match" spring in the Geissele. Again, I recognize the differences in actions make it not exactly comparable.

I like both quite a bit. I'm a recreational shooter with an occasional match, just so I can shoot at 600 yards. I'm not a truly competitive shooter. So, I don't claim to be a "trigger connoisseur." :) I'm here mostly to spectate on this thread. But, I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in, worth exactly that. ;)

Reactions: 6brshooter
    Great! I'll trade you my Calvin Elites for your TT diamonds, and my other Timneys for your TT specials.
    The 510 timneys are as nice as the triggertech specials. I dont have any specials. I sold the one I had and kept the 510s. As long as a super light pullweight isn’t warranted then either or will work. Whichever is cheaper (Usually Timney). No wrong choice.

The calvin elite single stage is nice but it doesn’t break as crisp as a diamond. I like the diamond better than the single stage calvin elite. I have two diamonds.

My experiences with Timney have been flawless. I have to admit I have only gotten single stage triggers. I hate that dead area in the pull. Most of mine are drop in triggers on my ARs, but I have ordered a rem 700 version for my new bolt. I'll let you know how it goes. The trigger I have been the least pleased with was ELF. gritty and odd.

The 510 timneys are as nice as the triggertech specials. I dont have any specials. I sold the one I had and kept the 510s. As long as a super light pullweight isn’t warranted then either or will work. Whichever is cheaper (Usually Timney). No wrong choice.

The calvin elite single stage is nice but it doesn’t break as crisp as a diamond. I like the diamond better than the single stage calvin elite. I have two diamonds.
    so you do not own any TT specials, but definitively say that the timneys are "just as good". And your advice is to go with whatever's cheapest.

My own opinion differs.

Currently I have a number of both. And I've had dozens of timneys over the years -for years, a replacement trigger WAS a Timney. But then a better product came out. the basic Trigger tech is crisper and the pull is more consistent.

However, I agree on one point: I wish that I hadn't bought the Calvin Elites. The Diamond is a far superior trigger.

so you do not own any TT specials, but definitively say that the timneys are "just as good". And your advice is to go with whatever's cheapest.

My own opinion differs.

Currently I have a number of both. And I've had dozens of timneys over the years -for years, a replacement trigger WAS a Timney. But then a better product came out. the basic Trigger tech is crisper and the pull is more consistent.

However, I agree on one point: I wish that I hadn't bought the Calvin Elites. The Diamond is a far superior trigger.
    Yep. Opinions differ.

I hate timney triggers. I thought I would try the 2 stage from them and it has creep as well. I wouldn't ever recommend them. I have a single stage from them that they adjusted before it shipped and it isn't worth a shit either.

Timney is a great entry level aftermarket trigger company. I have several singles and two two stage(one red and one Calvin). The singles are on hunting rifles. The red two stage is occupying a spot held for either a single stage Bix or a single staged TT diamond. My Calvin is on a match rifle, which is fine.
    Never forget that in this game you pay for top quality. Not slamming Timney by any means, just pointing out that they occupy the lowest tier of aftermarket trigger offerings. Much like vortex or General Motors, they offer something for everyone.
    Sounds like the op got a lemon from the word go.
    Y’all remember when Jewell was the be all end all?
    Hard to believe it wasn’t that long ago.

I'm gonna go with it being a lemon since I bought it from a pro shop. I fully believe the issue might just be my action so that's why it's not going straight to the trash can. Maybe on something else it'll work like a dream and then I'll be happy to use it.