• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Timney 512 vs old style trigger for 700

6.5BR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2007
LA
Feedback? I am looking to replace a trigger, is the Timney a better way?

Old style Remington's can be worked very well. Especially the older flat safety ones. But...make sure the person adjusting know wha they are doing. Imporoper sear adjustment can be dangerous.

One advantage for the Timney id they block the trigger as the safety. This can be seen as a better system, but I consider muzzle control as the best safety. JMO

+1,000 on muzzle control, nice to know about the safety block via Timney. Thanks for the info.

I have tuned a few OEMs in my day, just looking if Timney was better, sounds like the safety alone may be a worthwhile
improvement.

'Course...I have a Timney 510 Tac with no safety...10 ounces and straight shoe. I like it in my 700P 223, but thats not really an apples to apples comparison.

Thanks, some like the straight shoe, I never tried one.

I replaced the X-Mark trigger on my Rem700 5R with an old style Remington trigger tuned to 1lb 9oz. It is tested safe, and I like it very much. I installed a Timney trigger on a 1912 Chilean Mauser and I like it also, but I had to hog out the stock substantially to fit it. I have no experience with the Timneys for the Rem 700's, but I am pretty sure that they are drop in replacements.