• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Timney 517 feels too heavy...

GSRswapandslow

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
North Carolina, Hudson (28638)
I have a timney 517 trigger on my 700 tactical and it feels too heavy. I turned the weight screw out as far as I could, before hitting the stock, and it was as bad/worse than factory. I filled a small "V" into my stock and turned the set screw out farther..and it's a lot better, but still quite heavy. It's supposed to adjust down to 1.5lb's....and I really doubt I'm there, feels more like 3-4lbs to me... I'm really close to just selling it and buying a Jewell for it..but I really love the trigger blade being flat... I'm going to pull the factory set screw out and swap it out for another, shorter one....to avoid any stock contact, but would it be possible to have it drop lower than 1lb?

Re: Timney 517 feels too heavy...

Buy a trigger pull gauge. They are pretty inexpensive and easy to use. You may be surprised by how heavy your trigger actually is...

My Timney is set at 1.5lb. I can just rest my finger on it without it going off. I can pull slightly and it will go off.

Does timney make a higher weight unit? You may have the higher pull unit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a trigger pull gauge. They are pretty inexpensive and easy to use. You may be surprised by how heavy your trigger actually is... </div></div>

Smart in so many ways....

i went back at it and pulled the spring and set screw out of the trigger....swapped in a different one and messed with over-travel/sear engagement and got the thing feeling a LOT better...still, heavier than I'd like, but light enough for a varmint gun