• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Timney and Huber Concepts triggers?

mark5pt56

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2005
Florida
Looking to use either one on a future build and was curious if anyone has experience with the Huber?

I do like the two stage on the AI and wondered if the Huber compared and is it "worth" the upgrade in price from the Timney? I don't have any issues with a single stage either. Any true difference in quality of the Timney and Huber. Which ever one I get, I would leave them alone and just use it.

Thanks for the input from those who know.

Mark

Re: Timney and Huber Concepts triggers?

I have had the Timney, and now currently have the Huber 2 lb two stage trigger. Both are nice triggers, but it really depends if you want a two stage or not. If you don't care about a two stage, I would get the Timney, they offer a great trigger for the price.

I currently have my Rem 700 parked, as I am using my Sako TRG22, and the two stage trigger on it is amazing, it is one of the features that make me enjoy shooting it so much.
SScott

Currently running Huber’s in several of my rifles. Have to say I do like them and I do like them. Are there specific questions you have on them?

Scott, Thanks! I've shot the two stages on other platforms(M1A, etc.) After a couple sessions with the AE, I'm really liking it. I'm guessing the Huber is fairly robust?

Chiller, Mainly the quality and less chance of anything loosening, coming out of adjustment, etc.

Mark

Think you will like the Huber. I have been using them in all sorts of adverse environments (cold, dirt, dust, etc). Do understand that it is not a “true” two stage and more or a set trigger. That is to say that once you pull through the first stage and if you come off the trigger the next time you pull it you will not really have that 1st stage pull unless you reset the safety or run the bolt. That being said you still find a defined wall that the second stage is. It also breaks very crisp.

cool, I sent a pm in regards to some build questions-

I really like my Huber triggers, with one major exception. The trigger will discharge if the safety is off and the rifle gets bumped. I believe this is called a "drop fire". It shouldn't be a problem if you follow the rules and keep the safety engaged. If you are moving around with the rifle (say at a competition), there shouldn't be one in the chamber anyway.

Wow, is yours light? Snce it may be used hunting, it more than likely will be chambered,safety on of course.

I have three of them. Two are set at 2.5 lbs, the third is set at 3.0 lbs. I have one on my hunting rifle (2.5), one on my 223ai competition rifle (2.5), and one on my .308 competition rifle (3.0). It does not matter how light the trigger is set, though the lighter triggers will "go" with less force.

My hunting rifle has one in the chamber, and the safety on. I rarely walk around when hunting, but I make sure to not have one in the chamber if I am moving about. I wouldn't have one in the chamber when moving, regardless of the trigger that I have installed. If I am walking, and need one in the chamber, it takes about 1-2 seconds to run the bolt and be ready. That might not work for others, though.

I really like the triggers that John makes, they are crisp and clean.

Sounds good. Of course I have to figure out how I want this build to turn out.

I can bang around my Timney and it won't go off.

Huber's have never failed me and I have run them hard and in very harsh environments.

Cheers,
DM

I like my Huber trigger. Was worried at first as there is some side to side slop in the first stage, but the second stage break is very crisp. Overall I really like shooting with it. Don't have a Timney to compare it to though.

For a match/range/safe queen only rifle I probably wouldn't worry about it, but the fact that it's a known and manufacturer accepted "design consequence" that the Huber trigger will fire if the safety is off and the rifle is dropped on it's butt from a foot or two would make it unacceptable for a hunting rig as far as I'm concerned. Even if I was doing tactical matches where the gun could see rough handling I don't think I'd run it, lets face it shit happens and if Murphy and his cousin are watching I don't want a fall etc. to cause a discharge. Especially since most 700 safeties have notoriously weak notches making them prone to being bumped off during packing/carrying etc.

Yes hopefully you are using other safety practices and it's never an issue but it's a generally accepted standard today that triggers do not release when a rifle is impacted on it's butt. You don't see this issue with other aftermarket tactical/match triggers, and you don't see other tactical rifles at any price suffer this issue.

There have obviously already been some issues and concerns on it otherwise you wouldn't see it directly addressed on their webpage. Just something to keep in mind if it's for a rifle that will see rough use or hunting duty etc.

I appreciate the input on these two. I did order the Timney for my build. I'm sure the Huber is nice, but I've heard enough to not want it on this or any rifle I would use.

Mark

Has the drop fire issue been fixed?