• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Timney on a Remy 700, how to tune it

huckjare

Minuteman
Mar 12, 2009
Idaho
I just installed a Timney on my Remington 700. It is plenty crisp but it has about a 5 pound pull. How do I tune it down to around 3 or so? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Okay, so I finally got around to checking out the above link. It tells me how to install the trigger, that has already been done. Anyone have a link to a video or other info on how to adjust the trigger? It is way way to stiff right now. It needs lightened up by pounds. Someone tell me that it is easy like my Jewell...

Okay, so I finally got around to checking out the above link. It tells me how to install the trigger, that has already been done. Anyone have a link to a video or other info on how to adjust the trigger? It is way way to stiff right now. It needs lightened up by pounds. Someone tell me that it is easy like my Jewell...

Seems to be easy - check bottom of page 1:

TRIGGER ADJUSTMENT
The screw on the rear of the trigger adjusts sear engagement. This screw is pre-set and should not be
adjusted below this setting. The front screw adjusts pull weight. Turning this screw in increases pull
weight. Turning it out decreases pull weight. Do not reduce pull weight below 1.5 pounds.

Also, it seems that the screw has a small adjustment range. If you turn it too far, the pull weight seems to go up.

This from setting the Timney on my 700. Drove me nuts. :)

Ive had some timney triggers that just wont adjust that well. Ive had to do a little work on the sear very lightly to get them to my liking.

Kc

Seems to be easy - check bottom of page 1:

TRIGGER ADJUSTMENT
The screw on the rear of the trigger adjusts sear engagement. This screw is pre-set and should not be
adjusted below this setting. The front screw adjusts pull weight. Turning this screw in increases pull
weight. Turning it out decreases pull weight. Do not reduce pull weight below 1.5 pounds.

Dayumm! I should have read this. Mine's right at 1# and shoots waaaay too good. FWIW, I've purposely dropped the rifle on the butt (using a sandbag as a pad) while unloaded and cocked but haven't been able to get the thing to release the firing pin at this weight. Of course I've been a life long believer in "finger control" as a primary safety feature.

Ive had some timney triggers that just wont adjust that well. Ive had to do a little work on the sear very lightly to get them to my liking.

Kc

If you go too low, you can also have a condition where the rifle won't cock at all. Raise and lower the bolt, the firing pin will just continuously follow the ramp in the bolt.