• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Timney trigger rubbing trigger guard

head2h2o

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2008
Houston, TX
I have just picked up a Timney for the Rem 700. I have been shooting Jewells which have the narrow shoe. The timney on the other hand is much wider, even to the point that it is hitting the trigger guard. I have seen this with the Badger M5 bottom metal and standard Rem bottom metal. It appears to be a little closer to the left than the right of the trigger opening as it looks like it is rubbing. I would like some input. Are others dealing with this also? Did you open up the trigger opening a little or did you narrow the trigger itself?

Re: Timney trigger rubbing trigger guard

Hey guys sorry for the necropost but I just ran into the same issue and I am wondering how to resolve it.

I have a Remington 700 5r with a Timney trigger installed. I just received a Manners T4A with the mini chasis that I had on order. I threw the barreled action into the new stock and torqued it down to the recommended settings... but alas the Timney rubs on the trigger guard of the stock. What is the best method to rectify the situation?

Grind on the trigger?
Grind on the trigger guard?

I am a little hesitant to file on the trigger guard on the stock that cost more than my base rifle.

Recommendations?

Thanks!

I had the same issue with a Recnagel trigger for my K98. It was just enough reason for me to try my hand at a milling machine... Made myself BDM that clears trigger & while I was at it, changed from std mag to AI mag...
Pretoria-20120415-00022.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimichanga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys sorry for the necropost but I just ran into the same issue and I am wondering how to resolve it.

I have a Remington 700 5r with a Timney trigger installed. I just received a Manners T4A with the mini chasis that I had on order. I threw the barreled action into the new stock and torqued it down to the recommended settings... but alas the Timney rubs on the trigger guard of the stock. What is the best method to rectify the situation?

Grind on the trigger?
Grind on the trigger guard?

I am a little hesitant to file on the trigger guard on the stock that cost more than my base rifle.

Recommendations?

Thanks! </div></div> Just sent you a PM, we can open that up for you, just take a few mins. Let me know and I will get you fixed up.

Tom is GTG on this, I opted to fix the issue myself with a set of jeweler's files in about 5-10mins.

I had to do it when I put a Timney 511-U into my lefty Manners mini-chassis.